5 Star Lounger

Is this a feature?

I ran across something interesting that invites experiment or comment.

I was done with Windows 10 on a machine with a drive (an SSD, which is probably irrelevant) for which I had a better use elsewhere. Win 10 is all backed up so that I can restore it at any time and update it if further developments make it look more interesting to me.

On putting the drive into the other computer on which I wished to use the drive, I let it boot to see what would happen. This was done online, and Win 10 loaded and went through a number of operations that included changing drivers and asking for serial number(s) (which operation it let me skip for the run in question). It recognized that it was running on different hardware and I think it said something about that, but the interesting thing is that it appeared to have all the functionality of a bare metal install and was ready to play the game with the new hardware, which is something that I have hitherto associated only with exotic third-party special software installs.

Since the drive was all that I wanted I just shut down, formatted the drive, and then restored my intended software to it, but it might have been interesting to carry the matter further to see what a hardware (drive) migration entails. As I say, it looked like Windows was ready to play the game with ease. (This does require a second computer if anyone wants to try it.)
    Last edited by dogberry; 2016-08-07 at 12:43.

Rochdale, UK
    I've noticed that since Windows 8 it can handle a change of hardware quite well.

Perfect example of this is when I replaced the mobo/processor/memory on my triple boot system earlier this year.

Windows 7 blue screened and sulked in the corner and had to be reinstalled.
    Windows 8 recognised the new hardware and installed the relevant drivers. It failed activation but was fixed easily via the automated telephone activation system.
    Windows 10, like W8 installed new drivers and also failed activation. The easiest way to activate that then was to use another W8 key otherwise it was reinstall W8 and let it update itself to W10.