New Lounger
    Thanks

Whether to Revert to Win7 or not? the 21-days question

Late Win7 users who upgraded to Win10 only have 3 weeks now, to decide whether to keep Win10 or revert to Win7...

I'm sure I'm not the only wary Win7 updater to Win10... The Win10 desktop does look like Win7, but when you left-click on the Win/Startup icon, there is much activity showing there that seems ongoing and web-connected, and does not show on the desktop...

For Win7 users, especially home users who are *not* engaged in group work or using the cloud, and want the comfortable feeling of having and keeping full control of their laptop and data, the question is, how can we reign in the Metro/Universal apps and the Live tiles?

In order to decide whether to go to the trouble of monitoring them or removing them, (now, and in successive updates as the case may be!) or, to simply quit Win10 and revert to Win7, we need to know exactly, what is the nature and occurrence of their activities? Someone please explain this to me...?

This is a newbie post so all the technical details informing the decision at hand will be greatly appreciated!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You are asking a very wide ranging question which most likely can NOT be aswered by anyone here. You have to investigate each app separately and even then you can probably on take a reasonable guess about their exact nature and details about their activity.

You need to investigate the Privacy settings in the Settings app as a place to start on controlling activity on your system. Beyond that there are many published articles such as Best Privacy Settings for Windows 10 and Windows 10 and Privacy.
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While you are deciding, create an external system image of what you've got now as well as a system repair disk and hopefully you will have created an external system image of Win 7 before you upgraded, then you can revert back and forth as many times as you like without having to worry about the deadline.

If you haven't created an external system image of Win 7 then I would advise that you create a system image while in Win 10 then revert back to Win 7 and create an image of that onto different media.

Thanks

My Regretable Experience with Win10

I posted the following over on the mozillazine forums:
    I am sorry that I tried Windows 10.

• After less than a day, I had to do a full restore of my newer desktop because (almost?) all the right-click Start Button menu items stopped working. I received errors that the attendant files could not be found.
    • Also, the Start Menu power button options also stopped working.
    • On my newer laptop, several times I started having the right-clicking any of the left side items in File Explorer crash Explorer. (I saw this on some of my other computers, too.)
    • Sleep and Hiberate did not work as they should have on my laptop either taking minutes or more to run.
    • After updating my newer laptop to the Anniversary Update, it exhibited a problem that when I began researching it, the first result was posted in 2015! Microsoft hasn't figured this out yet?
    • EDIT: I recall now what the problem was after applying the Anniversary Update. When the screen would turn off for no activity on the laptop, it was turning off earlier that the time I had set (off at 5 minutes rather than 15 minutes) AND I would have to re-enter my password to get back to the screen desktop. I did not have my system set with a screen saver let alone requiring a password when reactivating the screen! The kicker was that the first search result was to another user reporting a similar issue in a forum and there was no answer to the inquiry despite being posted in 2015!

Keep in mind that my newer laptop and desktop were purchased with Windows 10 licenses and Windows 7 Pro installed! How could these machines be "incompatible" with Windows 10?

Also, I downloaded the version before the Anniversary Update (1511?) rather than relying on Windows Update to update my computers.

One issue I may have had was the Intel Management Engine software that recommended NOT using the latest version! Instead, use older versions of this software. How can this be a year after Windows 10 was released as well as considering that Windows 10 should have benefited from the problems that Windows 8, 8.1 and 8.1 Update had and should have been resolved by now?

I got tired of running sfc /scannow--especially when it returned that there were no problems with the system files--and the various iterations of DISM only to have the issue(s) reappear.

As far as I am concerned, Windows 10 is as bad as Windows 8, et al. I am seriously considering for my next computer the purchase of a Mac or giving Linux another try. I really wanted to like Windows 10. It is simply inexcusable that Microsoft considers Windows 10 a worthy product. My experience says it is a sticking piece of sh*t.
    My recommendation is if you have any concerns--and, hopefully, you have full backups, disk images in my case--to easily and quickly revert your systems back to Win7.
    Ray
    OS: 2 computers w/ Win7 Home Premium 64-bit & 2 computer w/ Windows 10 AU Pro (1607)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky; Anti-malware: SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Win10Aware View Post
    I'm sure I'm not the only wary Win7 updater to Win10
    No indeed, I waited until ~6 weeks ago.

the question is, how can we reign in the Metro/Universal apps and the Live tiles?
    If you right-click on them, there is an option to either uninstall or 'turn live tile off'--these are often in the "more" fly-out menu. You can also 'unpin from start' if you only want to hide them. I uninstalled all the ones which didn't interest me, and unpinned others which I have already pinned to the taskbar.

In Task Manager, have a look at the Startup tab for other auto-start items, and disable those you don't want or recognize. Then do the Settings > Privacy scan Joe mentioned.

we need to know exactly, what is the nature and occurrence of their activities?
    As Joe said, you'll need to do a Bing or Google for those, or post threads about the individual items you're interested in.

On a general level, I haven't dived into Win10 much yet, but I'm quite happy with it so far. The interface seems on par with Win7, and it also has the security advances introduced during the Win8 cycle. I've been working away as usual for the past 6 weeks without any loss of productivity--touch wood!
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Thanks
    I have been using Windows 10 for years now, and it has NEVER let me down. My rule-of-thumb: If a newer version exists USE it. You won't ever see me using Windows 7 again, it is just too old. This is my opinion.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    I have been using Windows 10 for years now, and it has NEVER let me down. My rule-of-thumb: If a newer version exists USE it. You won't ever see me using Windows 7 again, it is just too old. This is my opinion.
    How many years ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    How many years ?
    Almost 2!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    Almost 2!
    So that's one and a bit rather than years

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WildcatRay View Post
    I posted the following over on the mozillazine forums:

My recommendation is if you have any concerns--and, hopefully, you have full backups, disk images in my case--to easily and quickly revert your systems back to Win7.
    One issue I may have had was the Intel Management Engine software that recommended NOT using the latest version! Instead, use older versions of this software. How can this be a year after Windows 10 was released as well as considering that Windows 10 should have benefited from the problems that Windows 8, 8.1 and 8.1 Update had and should have been resolved by now?
    There are Windows 10 compatible versions of the Intel Management Engine software & drivers posted on the Intel web site (at least for Intel Sandy Bridge series hardware and greater). You just have to search for them.
    Using Intel MEI software version 11.0.6.1194 on my Win7 (and soon to be Win10) system, which includes Intel MEI driver v11.0.5.1189 dated 3/28/2016.