2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WIN10 AU & Anti-virus

What is recommended with regard to running anti-virus/anti-malware during the upgrade. My desktop didn't misbehave during my initial install of Windows 10. In fact, I kept the initial upgrade installation w/o a clean install it went so well.

But, my laptop was a serious problem. Both attempts ended with a message that "Windows couldn't determine if the computer was ready". Only when I removed security software did the OS install. Thanks.

Diane
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you using Avast ?

There's been a recent problem because of that but supposedly fixed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I always disable my security apps. I think that is one way of minimizing possible upgrade issues.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Diane,

That all depends on what Security Software you are using as they all react differently.

As a general rule when doing a massive upgrade like the AU or from an earlier version to Win 10 it is safest to disable all of your security software.

That being said, I upgraded 4 machines from earlier versions to 10 and the AU while running a plethora (I just love that word ) of security software...Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes Premium, WinPatrol Plus, and EMET w/o a single hiccup! Just lucky I guess. YMMV!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I've seen the following in several places:

For Anti-virus and Anti-malware applications, during upgrade Windows will check to see if your Anti-virus or Anti-malware subscription is current. Windows will uninstall your application while preserving your settings. After upgrade is complete, Windows will install the latest version available with the settings that were set prior to upgrade. If your subscription is not current, upgrade will enable Windows defender.
    This suggests there shouldn't be a need to un-install third-party AV as it will be done automatically (and updated afterwards).

I wasn't able to find an 'official' statement from MS but, contrary to this:

How-To Geek advice - Remove Your Antivirus Software

Windows Central advice - "You'll also want to remove your current antivirus before upgrading."

Microsoft MVP on answers.microsoft.com - "It is recommended that you uninstall your current Antivirus before intiating the upgrade."

makeuseof.com advice - "To be on the safe side, itís best to uninstall any third-party firewall or anti-virus software that youíve got."

(I always un-install, just in case. However, after a couple of glitches in the early days of the inline upgrade using Windows Update, I always upgrade using a USB stick created with the Media Creation Tool and haven't had a single problem since... except with the Anniversary Update. However, after seeing some of the recent stories, I've decided to defer AU for the time being.)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all who replied.

I have Avira Free, SAS & MBAM(both premium). I think to save aggravation, I will remove them. I'll save the downloads on a stick so it's easier to put back. I, too am stalling the upgrade via GPE on desktop and the metered connection trick on the laptop
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro