Lounger
    Thanks

PIN sign-in code does not work after the 1607 Anniversary Update

I have been using a PIN code for signing in to WIN 10 all the time since it became possible. Now, after the big update the PIN-code suddenly is not recognized any more. Luckily the password is still working. I have seen several people complaining about the same problem on the net, but so far no working fixes.
    Does anyone have a clue what the problem is, or how to solve it? I'll be happy for any advice or suggestions.

BR Jan Erik

Thanks
    I've seen a suggestion to use File Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Lo cal\Microsoft\NGC, delete everything in that folder then create a new PIN. (Note: The WSL forum software often introduces spaces in long filepaths. There is no space in \Local\.)

What that suggestion doesn't mention is that you don't have permission to access the NGC folder, let alone delete any content, even if logged in as a member of the Administrators group.

If you want to try it, I suggest - as an alternative - renaming the NGC folder to NGC.old instead. To do this you will have to right-click on the NGC folder and, using Properties > Security > Advanced, take ownership of the folder. After renaming the NGC folder, go to Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options and create a new PIN. This will create a new NGC folder with default ownership set correctly to System so you won't have compromised your device by fiddling with security on System-owned folders. (Note: If there are other users of the device then they too will have to create new PINs, if used.)

NGC.png
    Click to enlarge

As so many people are complaining about the broken PIN problem, if you're not confident about changing permissions on a system folder you could always leave this to Microsoft to sort out. However, as a new folder is created automatically (with correct ownership/permissions), I don't think you have anything to lose by trying it and, if so, let us know whether it worked for you. It certainly worked for me when I was testing this suggested fix.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-08-08 at 08:57. Reason: Added screenshot; added info

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

xangler (2016-08-08)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    I know this is obvious but just in case you missed it. Notice the Sign-in Options under the password box. Click it and then click the icon that looks like a 10 key pad. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot for your contributions! I started on the procedure you described but well into the take-ownership part I started to feel uncertain. So I decided to stop for a while and see if Microsoft will solve it as you mentioned. In the meantime I can have a closer look into the take-ownership issue in case it takes too long to wait for MS. Of course I'll report back to you if I do anything more about it!
    Thanks again!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you tried using Settings | Accounts | Sign-in options to remove and re-add the pin? If I was doing this I'd try to remove the PIN, re-boot, login, re-add the PIN, re-boot again, see if it works.
    Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

xangler (2016-08-08)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Fantastic, it worked!
    I have rebooted 3 times now and it seems to be permanently working!
    Many others out there might benefit from this solution. Thank you very much!

BR
    Jan Erik

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jefrithj@online.no
    Fantastic, it worked!
    I have rebooted 3 times now and it seems to be permanently working!
    Many others out there might benefit from this solution.
    Thanks for letting us know. It sounds like JoeP517's solution worked. Could you just clarify?

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Thanks for letting us know. It sounds like JoeP517's solution worked. Could you just clarify?
    I'm not sure what you mean when you say "could you just clarify!". It might have something to do with the fact that American/English is not my first language. So I thought my initial reply was loud and clear. However, I did exactly what JoeP517 said/wrote, and the solution worked! Problem solved! My PIN code is back - even the old one
    Br
    Jan Erik

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Great!!! Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for posting back.
    Joe