New Lounger
    Thanks

Software License Keys

Have a laptop at work we used for diagnosing class 8 trucks.
    We are upgrading to a laptop dedicated just for diagnosing and interfacing.
    I need to retrieve the license keys for several programs.
    I have tried Belarc and several other programs without any luck.
    I can get the Windows key but none of the others.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    ZG,

Most key retrieval programs will only work on very mainstream programs, e.g. Operating Systems, Office programs, widely used utilities, etc.

If you are using programs that are of limited general availability, say tools for diagnosing class 8 trucks, it is unlikely generally available programs will be able to retrieve the keys.

Depending on how well the programs are protected you may be able to find the keys in clear text via a registry search, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope in that area as it's like placing a post-it on your computer screen with your password!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That is what I was afraid of. The software is not cheap. Hate to have to repurchase it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zg1286
    That is what I was afraid of. The software is not cheap. Hate to have to repurchase it.
    You shouldn't have to. Your scenario is not uncommon. I've often had to go to 3rd-party suppliers to ask how to move their product (and license) from one device to a newer replacement. Perhaps I've been lucky but I never had a bad experience. Most support were extremely helpful 'cos they didn't want any adverse comments within the industry affecting their reputation. All it takes is one "Yeah, well... good luck on transferring the license!" for confidence in a product to take a knock. In fact, rather than try to work it out myself, product support would be my first port of call every time.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you can open the program in either Program Files or Program Files (x86), you may find it the Settings.ini file.

Thanks
    Several programs I worked with used a .key file with the license info encrypted. All I had to do was transfer the .key file from within the program's installation folder then, within the program, choose something like Help > Activate > Browse to license (.key) file. The program would then do an online check that a) the .key file was current (e.g. not blacklisted) and b) the .key file was only registered to however many devices the license was for.

Again, the program's support should be able to tell you the licensing method and how to transfer it.

Hope this helps...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    You shouldn't have to. Your scenario is not uncommon. I've often had to go to 3rd-party suppliers to ask how to move their product (and license) from one device to a newer replacement. Perhaps I've been lucky but I never had a bad experience. Most support were extremely helpful 'cos they didn't want any adverse comments within the industry affecting their reputation. All it takes is one "Yeah, well... good luck on transferring the license!" for confidence in a product to take a knock. In fact, rather than try to work it out myself, product support would be my first port of call every time.
    I second this. What you're doing is perfectly legal and even expected - people are well aware that machines get upgraded.

And someone has to ask: didn't you (or someone) have to enter a licence number in the first place?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all for the advice. Fortunately we were able to find most of the original install discs.
    The most important one is a yearly subscription and was able to retrieve license key from there website