Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 File Sharing is MISERABLE - Need Help with One Computer

I know file sharing issues with W10 have been huge, and many threads deal with them, but I have done a search and cannot find anything that seems to match my issue. In short, I have the problem with only a single computer: it can SEE all other computers on the LAN just fine, but it cannot ACCESS any that are running W10 by using the network names.

I have 4 computers and 2 NAS on my LAN. All computers have been upgraded from W7 to W10 (two W7 Pro machines upgraded just last week). I share files between all of the computers, and both of the W7 Pro machines could access the W10 machines just fine before the final upgrades. This problem only affects one computer: an HP W10 Pro box.
    Although other computers can access the shared files on the HP, it cannot access any of the other three W10 machines (it has no problem accessing the two NAS). Three of the W10 computers can access EVERYTHING shared on the LAN, but the fourth box (the HP) cannot access the other three.

All computers are running W10 1511 with the same OS build.
    All computers show the same six machines under Network in Windows Explorer.
    All computers have identical settings under Network Advanced Sharing.
    All computers have the same settings in Windows Firewall.
    All computers use the same Workgroup
    No Homegroup exists on the LAN

Only on the HP, when I try to click on any of the three other W10 machines in Explorer, I get a network error that says to check the spelling of the name. This is NOT a permissions error, but an inability to find the computer that is clearly shown in Explorer. Typing the network name in explorer (e.g. \\ULTRA) gives the same error.

The only real clue I have is that the HP can access other machines IF I type the IP address (e.g. \\192.168.254.232), and once it brings up the remote shares in Explorer through that command, then access to all the shared files is normal.

So the problem is not with the network card, and it is not with sharing permission settings; it is that the HP cannot resolve a valid IP address from the network names of other W10 computers (and ONLY W10 computers).

Anybody have an easy fix for me? Thanx!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    To be honest I don't know why you classify the sharing miserable. It feels exactly the same as it was under Windows 7 and 8.1.

The problem you mention existed in all Windows versions. I had it under 7. It stopped when I upgraded to 8.1 and it hasn't appeared with 10. All my W10 running computers (3, 2 of which already running the Anniversary Upgrade), can see it each other, by name, without issues.

Is there a problem with networking that occasionally occurs and causes the issue you mention? Yes, there is, but it is older than Windows 10. I had it on 7 and couldn't solve it then. I just used the IP of the computer I couldn't access by name. To make it easier, I just created a shortcut on my desktop to the folder I most frequently accessed on the computer I wanted to access.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you are a Windows Secrets Newsletter subscriber there was a January 2016 article by Fred Langa which included instructions on resetting Windows networking on troubled PC. The article talked about network issues when adding a Win10 PC to a Win7 network but the reset directions might be germane to your issue.
    Joe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

V7Goose (2016-08-09)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui, hello. How are you ?
    I think that the OP and you are referring to the LAN, ( ??? ). In that case, can I add that here, it is running as good as need be. In the boonies here, I only have two machines and my LAN is active. One machine is backup for the other, keeping safe my bank accounts and market stuff. The LAN access is close to instantaneous. The desktop is on RJ45 and the laptop is on WiFi but still the LAN is very nice.

I agree with you, far from being "miserable", it is a fine tool.

JoeP-five-hundred-and-seventeen, nice word usage this "germane". It is not in the general daily usage. I have not had to use Fred's way of curing a defective LAN, it worked fine all the time, if indeed we are referring to the LAN here. The OP mentions file sharing and I do it on the LAN, he might refer to another problem ( ??? ).

A great day to all. Jean.

Lounger
    Thanks
    JoeP517, thank you for the reminder about the newsletter - I do remember seeing it, and I will go look it up again.

As for the other comments, I am thrilled for anyone who is lucky enough to not have any sharing problems with W10 - I personally think you are the exception. I call it miserable because it introduced immediate problems for many people just by adding some fairly incomprehensible and poorly documented changes to the sharing and security settings needed. Yeah, in most cases, once you learn these the fix is relatively easy and does not tend to break again. But when XP, Linux and W7 computers that were networking and sharing perfectly all stop just because of a W10 upgrade, that is MISERABLE to me.

With every computer that I have upgraded to W10, I have had to fight the sharing and security settings on both it and other computers on the LAN to sort out why previously working shares no longer worked. Miserable.

Sometimes I could get identical userIDs and passwords to work with sharing, other times I could not (always worked perfectly for me with XP and W7). Miserable

Why should I have to open up shares to Everyone just to get a workaround for user accounts failing to log in? Miserable.

The need to add "Everyone" to the security settings of a folder or drive, even after the sharing settings already include the permissions you want Everyone to have, was just dumb in my book. Miserable.

Network names that always worked fine with mixed case failing in W10 unless everything was ALL CAPS? Miserable.

No point in going on - I think I have run this horse into the ground.
    Last edited by V7Goose; 2016-08-09 at 10:14.