New Lounger
    Thanks

Testing Backup files on usb drive.

Attempting to follow F.Langa recommendation for testing Macrim system backup. Have attempted to use VHD file with Virtualbox and reached most of win7 startup, but system test crashed.

Have 3 usb 2TB drives and am thinking about using a usb to sata cable adapter on the Iomega drive, move the macrim backup to a separate partition and test the win7boot from there.(As a P.S. went through the very painful recovery/reinstallation of win7 after dumping Win10. None of the backups I had at that time would install and run.)

As another option, also have another pc that I can dual boot as it is running xp(for older driver/system uses).

Would appreciate input from someone that has followed similar path.

Thank you.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If I read you right, you would like to restore the entire image to a test platform to ensure it works. I don't recall reading this from Langa, but if you say you did then I missed it. It's an interesting problem.

It's really easy to test restoring individual files from a backup, because you can open and mount the image as a virtual drive. Once that's done, you can access all the files stored in the image. But I take it you want to verify the ability to restore this image.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The article by F.Langa was" Windows Secrets*>*Top Story*> How to safely test file and image backups
    How to safely test file and image backups

By Fred Langa on April 16, 2015 in*Top Story"

And yes after my uncomfortable attempt to restore backups from two different backup image programs after uninstalling win10, I want to insure the validity of a Macrim backup. As you're aware it take a lot of time to re-install from scratch.

What I'm trying to accomplish is a reasonable method to insure a bak validity from time to time.

Thank you.
    I