New Lounger
    Thanks

Why do template styles sometimes not change text properties when selected?

Hi, this is a problem that I've noticed in newer versions of Word. It wasn't a problem I came across when using '97-2003.

I'm a bid writer and use templates a lot. Often I have to respond to questions in a document created by another company, in which case to keep my own responses consistently formatted, I usually create a new paragraph style based on 'normal' style but using a different colour or font. Being an imaginative person, I normally call this style something like "Response".

What I've noticed is that sometimes in my documents, when I'm trying to change the formatting of a paragraph already in the document, clicking the style I want to change it to in the styles dialogue box either:

• has no effect, and the text stays the same and is left with the original 'style'
    • has some effect, for example, changing the line spacing, but doesn't change the font colour
    • works properly and completely updates the text to the style I've chosen.

Why does this happen? What am I missing?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The formatting applied by a style can be over-ridden by local formatting.

To get the Paragraph style attributes ONLY then you can remove any local formatting by selecting the text and pressing Ctrl-Space and Ctrl-Q. These two shortcuts reset the paragraph and font formatting.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

Felixity (2016-08-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply, Andrew, but if I have to do that, then isn't it just as easy to select 'clear all' from the styles box? What's the point of setting up styles in a document to make life easier when formatting, if when you select text in the 'wrong' format and then click on the relevant style in the styles box, it doesn't update the text fully, if at all? Why does it work ok in some documents and not in others?

Thanks
    Clear All simply removes whatever style is applied to the selection and sets the default paragraph style, which will almost certainly be Normal. It does not remove manual formatting from the paragraph and it is the manual formatting that is the cause of your problem. The keyboard shortcuts that Andrew posted reset the paragraph and font settings of the selected text to the underlying paragraph style(s).

If an additional two keystrokes is too onerous a macro will do the job with one click

Code:
    Sub ResetText()
    Dim orng As Range
        Set orng = Selection.Range
        If Len(orng) = 0 Then
            Set orng = Selection.Paragraphs(1).Range
        End If
        orng.ParagraphFormat.Reset
        orng.Font.Reset
    lbl_Exit:
        Set orng = Nothing
        Exit Sub
    End Sub
    Last edited by Graham Mayor; 2016-08-10 at 04:19.
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    http://www.gmayor.com

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham Mayor For This Useful Post:

Felixity (2016-08-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So is this one of those wonderful problems that Microsoft has created in more recent versions of Word? I never used to have this issue when using 97-2003.

Maybe I didn't go into enough detail originally - or possibly I'm just being a bit dim. It's the inconsistency between the way in which styles behave in different documents with different templates that bugs me.

In the document I'm currently working on which was created using my standard 'bid library template' if I select some text that's currently in normal, manually format it to change font colour, then select the text in the altered colour and go to the styles panel and select 'normal' it re-sets the text to the standard colour.

In the document I was working on yesterday, set up by a client, I created a 'response' style in their existing template. When I went to text which was 'wrongly' formatted in one of the client's styles, selected it and then clicked on 'response' in the styles panel, one of two things happened:

- on first click, nothing changed and on second click nothing changed
    - Or on second click, the line spacing altered as per 'response', but the colour of the text stayed the same (ie not as per 'response' style).

In both cases, the style of the text, as far as the document was concerned, stayed as the client's style - it wasn't being recognised by word as 'response', it was still being identified under the client's style name.

The only way I could get the text to be recognised as 'response' and to take on the attributes of that style was to select 'clear all' in the styles pane and then select 'response'. I don't understand why this document was behaving like that when documents using my own template don't.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    I am not aware of any change to the way that successive versions use styles, bit without access to the documents and templates in question, I cannot explain the issue.
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    http://www.gmayor.com

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You need to post a sample document if you need detailed descriptions of why the text is behaving as it is. In short the issue is that local formatting is overriding your style definition and being preserved as a different style is applied.

It may indeed be some behaviour unique to Word 2016 but I really doubt it. You haven't yet convinced me that this is anything other than local formatting overriding the paragraph style settings.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia