Thanks

Google much quicker and dependable than Edge or IE11. Why?

Whenever I try to log into my Yahoo mail account in Edge I am presented with screen requesting my "email", not email address, just "email. Once I have satisfied that requirement I am presented with another request, for my password. It is also slow.

Even slower is IE11, which also makes the same requests as above.

If I use Google I am not required to jump through those hoops and my account simply opens. It is also much faster than either of the other two.

Since Windows 10 and its included Edge is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, I really don't know what all the hype is about. It certainly isn't justified as far as I can see. I am very disappointed, and as soon as I can afford it I will buy a refurbished Mac and wash my hands of Microsoft entirely.

Until I can afford it, is there anything I can do to get Edge working as I imagine it really should?
    Equal rights for equal responsibilities.
    Equal opportunities for equal abilities.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncopator View Post

Since Windows 10 and its included Edge is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, I really don't know what all the hype is about. It certainly isn't justified as far as I can see. I am very disappointed, and as soon as I can afford it I will buy a refurbished Mac and wash my hands of Microsoft entirely.
    Edge is an half baked browser. Why would it be better than an established browser?

Also, I don't see how a browser is a reason to change platforms. On a Mac, you will get Safari. Safari is just as bad as Edge or IE.
    Chrome on Windows 10 is acceptable.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Although I have no problems with IE11 on W10 or W7, I use Chrome almost exclusively on both. If I use IE11 it seems to work fine for me on sites that require it, so there must be something else going on with your computer ( in my opinion ).
    Edge is another story altogether so far, it's fast ( on my computer ) but I don't like it at all. Could be that I'm old fashioned I guess.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I don't see how a browser is a reason to change platforms.
    What about the interminable updates and fixes for Windows?

There are those who, in my opinion correctly, say that we, Microsoft's customers, are forever testing their B models.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    If I use IE11 it seems to work fine for me on sites that require it, so there must be something else going on with your computer ( in my opinion ).
    I can quite believe that, but, frankly, I am beginning to give up. I will have to try to tolerate Microsoft's frailties until I can afford a Mac.

Edge is another story altogether so far, it's fast ( on my computer ) but I don't like it at all. Could be that I'm old fashioned I guess.
    Strange, I find it as slow as the proverbial second coming, and sometimes doesn't even connect.

But, as I said, I'm really almost past caring now.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncopator View Post
    What about the interminable updates and fixes for Windows?

There are those who, in my opinion correctly, say that we, Microsoft's customers, are forever testing their B models.
    My laptop is my professional tool. It has been such a tool in the last 4 years. Before that it also was, although not as critical. Regardless of that, I have never been prevented from doing my work because of updates and fixes, which all OSes have, by the way.

In any case, I can understand that one would change platforms over no control of Windows upgrades, as seems to be the model in 10. I have wrote that myself. However, I would surely not change because of a browser. The hype about Edge, yeah, it did happen, but only in a small way. It was to be expected, manufacturers always exaggerate positives and downplay negatives. No surprises there.

On the other hand, we are always testers. Apple is no different. Actually, Apple goes for your money with a fierceness that Microsoft only wishes they could imitate. From new, proprietary connectors, to a cycle that sees new product versions coming out each year, there is a lot to not look for with an Apple choice.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I bought a 4-year-old, second-hand 17" MacBook Pro nearly 3 years ago. During this time I've spent very little time (and no money) in keeping it maintained and up-to date. It still performs very well, iincluding Safari. By comparison, whilst I've spent no money in the past 18 months on my Windows devices, I have spent a large amount of time finding out how to avoid updates/upgrades I have no wish for. In short, I still remain in control of my MacBook and its OS. I can't say that of my Windows devices.

Thanks
    Interesting Rick. I read many opinions of those who had "signed the pledge" and changed to a Mac, and they are all positive.

I seem to have been constantly crossing swords with Windows ever since 95.