New Lounger
    Thanks

After W7->W10 upgrade access to NAS refused

This is a permission problem that I have not been able to identify. After upgrading I finally got around to needing a file backup to a NAS device (Maxtor SS). I do not get a successful connection and message is "either user name or password incorrect." An netbook I chose not to upgrade can still successfully connect. So the upgrade process added something that was not being done previously. How can I troubleshoot this?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    pnshldn,

You don't specify the NAS which would be helpful. I've had some problems also w/WDMyBookLive. The problems are machine dependent? For example I have no problem from my desktop Win 10 Pro accessing the NAS from RevoUninstaller Pro to get files to install. However, on my Wife's Laptop I can not get Revo to see the NAS, same PW/ID error you're getting. She can however access the NAS from File Explorer w/o problems...go figure.

If you're using a MS Account I've seen where it adds a .000 to your email name, I assume that's to replace the @mailserver.com which I know makes my WD choke!

Hopefully, these things will work out but as of now I haven't seen any definitive solutions.

One thing I've done for when I'm using a MS account, only on my Insider test machine, is to have a Local Account then when the Access box pops up I use that name and password and tell it to remember the credentials. It seems to work for the most part.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My usual attempt to access is \\maxtorss\<MSSusername> and then I'm presented with a login box. See attached screenshots. Part of my confusion is that I'm not sure which credentials to use where. Server share username and password, Network credentials, etc. The login process for W10 is so different from W7. Even using admin doesn't seem to get me access. So first image should associate Z: with the share \\maxtorss\Paul, the window to the right is typically where I provide the username/password for the NAS share and the third window is what results. The NAS share seems to be recognized as existing, but connection is refused. Same process under W7 is successful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Paul,

Have you setup accounts on your NAS to control access? If so those are the Account Name/Passsword you should use. That's how I access my WD NAS. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Nothing has changed wrt the NAS. Using File Explorer I can "see" my share from W10. I just can't do anything with it. W7 access remains as it was, working nicely.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The update it broke my LAN connectivity. The update replaced my Hosts file in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ with a generic version that did not have the NATs addresses for my server and workstations on the LAN. It took some digging around to discover this. Without the Hosts file none of the LAN connected computer were accessible.

This may be your issue.

The Hosts file is a little tricky to create. It must be saved as a text file using Notepad but the filename must be enclosed in " ". In other words the filename to be saved would be "Hosts". The version in the etc directory needs be renamed HostsOLD or some such before saving the new version.

Use the original Hosts file to create and save the new one,

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I compared the Hosts files for the W7 & W10 systems. Neither has anything written other than the commented examples. There is a blank line in both files.