New Lounger
    Thanks

Trying to sync calendar between desktop and laptop

I am running Win10 on a desktop and a Surface Pro4. I've recently gone from a paper diary to using the Win10 calendar but I'm having trouble syncing the calendar between computers. Web searches show that people are concerned about syncing email but I can find nothing useful about syncing the calendar.

I've linked the calendar on both computers to my google/gmail account, which seems to be how to do this, but there is no syncing between them. When I open Calendar the left panel lists "Microsoft account" and "Gmail". However, that just changed.

I thought that there might be a problem logging in with the MS account between computers, so re-linked it on the desktop. When that was done I found all my appointments have disappeared and the "Microsoft account" menu has become "Outlook" instead.

I don't use Outlook for email, but as the account has changed I'm posting this request here.

I've lost all my appointments for the next several months. And I'm no further along the way to getting the calendars to sync.

I'm obviously missing something here. Any advice on
    1. Retrieving my appointments
    2. Getting these computers to sync their calendars.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know whether this will help you or not but there some software packages around that sync calendars. I use Outlook 2013 synched to the Gmail calendar and my Android cell phone understands my Gmail account.

I use Fieldstone Software "gsyncit" software to do that. It has other systems that it syncs that I don't use. The odd issue that I have had with gsyncit has been quickly handled by Dave at Fieldston Software. Maybe you could check this and others out?

See http://www.fieldstonsoftware.com/software/gsyncit4/

Kevin

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shifty View Post
    I've linked the calendar on both computers to my google/gmail account, which seems to be how to do this, but there is no syncing between them.
    I can't help you with this but will share with you an observation. I use Google Calendar on an Android phone and can view and modify that calendar with a browser on my PC - that works fine both directions.

On my Win10 computer, I can link the Calendar App to the Google Calendar but it seems to be a one way, read only, link. IOW, any changes I make to Google Calendar are read and displayed in the Win10 app, but if I change anything there, it does not get changed in Google calendar.

I've not taken the time to dig into this but either I am doing something wrong or this function is not supported.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Doctor Shifty,

I don't think the Windows Calendar does any form of synching, it just allows you to display and modify calendars from various sources.

Would love to hear that's not the case if anyone knows better.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If true and especially nowadays (with all the "connectedness" of things)...not being able to sync the Windows calendar certainly makes absolutely no sense, does it?

Especially with the Microsoft shift to logging on with an Outlook.com login as their preferred method of logging in.

Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Doctor Shifty,

I don't think the Windows Calendar does any form of synching, it just allows you to display and modify calendars from various sources.

Would love to hear that's not the case if anyone knows better.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevmeist View Post
    Especially with the Microsoft shift to logging on with an Outlook.com login as their preferred method of logging in.
    Do you mean a Microsoft Account?

I have one of them which allows me to login to outlook.com even though my email address belongs to my own personal domain.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm really talking about MS efforts to "link everything together" via the outlook.com account. Not so much what you mentioned. One would think that MS would realize that synching a calendar between devices is somethiong that MANY people would want to do. I do this BUT only via the Google calendar between Outlook and my Android phone.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    Do you mean a Microsoft Account?

I have one of them which allows me to login to outlook.com even though my email address belongs to my own personal domain.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Been using the free version of gSyncit for a few years on Outlook 2010 to get my calendars synced with my Google calendar. It works great in both directions.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    Been using the free version of gSyncit for a few years on Outlook 2010 to get my calendars synced with my Google calendar. It works great in both directions.
    Several people have mentioned Outlook, but the OP doesn't use that so any solution based on Outlook won't work.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Understood. I was trying to give some idea that sync software is out there and that maybe he should look for that. I notice that the OP hasn't said a thing since the original posting.

Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    Several people have mentioned Outlook, but the OP doesn't use that so any solution based on Outlook won't work.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevmeist View Post
    I was trying to give some idea that sync software is out there and that maybe he should look for that.
    This just gave me a thought... While I don't use Outlook, the fact that I have an MS account automatically means I have an Outlook account. Perhaps it's possible to use Outlook (calendar) as an intermediary?

It doesn't much matter to me at this point since I use my phone for setting up reminders and events anyway. So all I want from the Win10 calendar is a way to take a quick look from time to time. It's the sort of thing that if it weren't there I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure, Graham.....I use Outlook PC client a lot but sync to my Android phone via the Google calendar (which with the gsyncit Outlook addin works very well).

K
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    This just gave me a thought... While I don't use Outlook, the fact that I have an MS account automatically means I have an Outlook account. Perhaps it's possible to use Outlook (calendar) as an intermediary?

It doesn't much matter to me at this point since I use my phone for setting up reminders and events anyway. So all I want from the Win10 calendar is a way to take a quick look from time to time. It's the sort of thing that if it weren't there I wouldn't lose sleep over it.