New Lounger
    Thanks

Beating the "file associations" lock?

That's right, I want to change some file associations and apparently in Win10 they are LOCKED by the system. Or, if you try to change them, the defaults override the changes. I'm seeing all sorts of screwy behavior, for instance:

I'll try to set .PDF files to be opened by (associated) Acrobat Reader 9.5. Because I own it, I know it, and I find nothing "better" about Reader DC. Except, when I try to open a PDF file sometimes (usually) it opens in DC anyway. If I try to remove default "protocols" from the ones listed for DC, the check boxes are simply locked, they can't be changed. Most of the help on the web totally ignores this--but it is for real.

So, WTF?

Is there some nasty way to regedit and override all these games?

Did MS really have to come up with a way to force the use of their favored programs?

Same problem with Edge. Sometimes I can get IE11 to run, sometimes, the association isn't enough and Edge wants to run anyway. Which wouldn't have been so bad, if it could save pages, or access my saved password logins. But it can't, so I don't want it defaulting at any time.

Anyone?

[update: it is version 1511, oddly enough, not the current version. Although there's something waiting to update now.]
    Last edited by Redd; 2016-08-11 at 11:51.

Thanks
    I read on MS W10 sales page there are two Windows 10 for sale: Home and Pro, $119 & $199 respectively; I'm wondering if the Pro W10 is needed to do what you want to do. Others will have to weigh in and correct me if I misunderstand, or if I'm beginning to understand a tiny bit about W10.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redd View Post
    ...Is there some nasty way to regedit and override all these games?...
    No need for messing with the registry.

Go to "Control Panel\Default Programs\Set your default programs" and choose which program(s) you want to use as default.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Coochin, as I said, those settings DO NOT allow some of the default apps to be changed. You can whale away at them all you please, and some of them will remain obstinately set to the default. Including any attempt to replace Acrobat DC with a different version of Acrobat.

Roland, you totally misunderstand. There are small differences in the feature sets between the two versions. But I don't have the "schoolboys" version, I have the Pro version. In any case, the BUG is a bug, not related to the difference in the versions.

The controls to set different default apps are locked out for some of the apps. You can't change them through any of the settings that are well documented and supposed to work. (And perhaps did work on some earlier versions or betas.)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Why do you need two different versions of Adobe Reader? Neither of them came with Windows 10. I'd say the fault lies with Adobe.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redd View Post
    That's right, I want to change some file associations and apparently in Win10 they are LOCKED by the system. Or, if you try to change them, the defaults override the changes. I'm seeing all sorts of screwy behavior, for instance:

I'll try to set .PDF files to be opened by (associated) Acrobat Reader 9.5. Because I own it, I know it, and I find nothing "better" about Reader DC. Except, when I try to open a PDF file sometimes (usually) it opens in DC anyway. If I try to remove default "protocols" from the ones listed for DC, the check boxes are simply locked, they can't be changed. Most of the help on the web totally ignores this--but it is for real.

So, WTF?

Is there some nasty way to regedit and override all these games?

Did MS really have to come up with a way to force the use of their favored programs?

Same problem with Edge. Sometimes I can get IE11 to run, sometimes, the association isn't enough and Edge wants to run anyway. Which wouldn't have been so bad, if it could save pages, or access my saved password logins. But it can't, so I don't want it defaulting at any time.

Anyone?
    Have you tried uninstalling DC? If it's not installed, it can't be the default.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I have Sumatra as my PDF reader and have no problems, having got rid of Adobe's apps. If MS were trying to inflict their favourites wouldn't they choose the Reader app?

You seem to imply that there's more than PDFs, if that's the case, what are they?
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Thanks
    "...Roland, you totally misunderstand. There are small differences in the feature sets between the two versions...I have the Pro version..."
    I didn't know which W10 you had, I must have missed it in your opening. I was approaching the problem from the geeky Windows Prime operations, I didn't even consider it might be Adobe stuff. Well, I learned some more today!
    [BTW, there is no "schoolboy" version, one either has the Home or Pro.]
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There appear to be some changes in the way defaults are assigned. As a result, installing some programs that would normally allow you to take over as the default for a file type may no longer do so (there were reports about Irfanview for one - there's a thread on this from a while back). That doesn't mean you cannot change them manually in settings.

There have also been reports that updates may revert the settings to the defaults, but it's possible that this is happening with programs for the above reason. I've also run into some cases myself where some things seem to ignore preferences and use a specific program (like IE or Edge) rather than the one you have set as the default. This would appear to be most likely if you are doing MS centric things (like opening a web help page for some Windows function).
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, one of the issues is using a web link in an Outlook 2013 email. Outlook has the ability to set default apps for things like which browser, which word processor, etc. but under Win10, Outlook says "Use your system settings" and one of those choices is to use Edge, or a real browser (G). It is partly LOCKED to Edge. Regardless of whether Outlook is the "gateway" app. Figuring out just why the system sometimes uses one, sometimes the other...not enough hours in the day. Similarly, the system wants to sell Adobe's Reader DC extensions, apparently.

Today's WS Newsletter prompted me to go online to find out how to run WINVER and get the actual version number of the installed build. Somehow, I had expected that just MIGHT be something that MS could have put on any of the system property pages. (sigh)

WRT needing two different versions of Acrobat?
    I don't. Adobe blessed me with an "updated version" at some point, or otherwise snuck it into my system. I don't like it, I don't use it, but apparently it is supposed to do something that makes it necessary for certain kinds of new files. Maybe the compiled PDF catalogues or something else I'm equally unlikely to need. I'd rip it out by the bloody roots, but we all know how Adobe likes to nag about "You need this in order to..."

In order to admit malware, too often for my liking.(G)
    Last edited by Redd; 2016-08-11 at 12:03.