Thanks

Windows Reset or HP Recovery utility?

A friend's 6 month old computer will not start, we are going to either use the Windows Reset function, or the HP Recovery utility. (There are no files that need to be saved on it). Both are available from the Advanced Startup menu. Somehow I am thinking the Windows Reset will give a cleaner installation as opposed to the HP utility which may install some bloatware. Any thoughts or experience on this?

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That's strange - your thread is showing as Solved but it hasn't been Closed.

As you can get to the Advanced Startup menu, select Command Prompt and enter -

bootrec /fixmbr

exit

Then restart to see if it will boot up - it may take a while so have a bit of patience.

Thanks
    What specifically happens when you try to start. Any error messages?

Jerry

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. The owner wanted it restored just to clean it up anyway, so I did not bother with much troubleshooting. My uncertainty was which method to use to restore it.

I ended up using the HP Recovery utility. It took almost 4 hours, rebooting at least a dozen times, maybe more, (at the Windows login screen it shows it is logging in to the defaut Administrator account) each time coming back to the same "Installing HP software" screen with a very slow moving progress bar. This is why I was hesitant to use that method. It seems like using the Windows Reset method gives a cleaner install without all the HP garbage. At least that has been my experience. What have you guys found?

Thanks