iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Microsoft adds complications to August patching

Patch Watch

Microsoft adds complications to August patching

By Susan Bradley

Windows 10 Version 1607 gets a cumulative update right out of the gate, and Win7 gets a slight reprieve from its issue with slow update scanning.

Plus: Just when you had the nonsecurity Office-update schedule down, Microsoft changes it up temporarily.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/microsoft-adds-complications-to-august-patching/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The first section of this column recommends turning off Adobe Flash Player in IE, Chrome, et al. I follow these instructions and assume all is now hunky dory.

The next section in the newsletter concerns the forum and I want to read something there so I click the link.

Guess what happens! A pop-up saying that the web page wants to run Adobe Flash Player! Am I secure on your forum or not, I wonder !!!

Thanks
    I installed the Win10 Anniversary the first day it came out as I had just upgraded to Win10 about a week prior (X64 Pro).

I did not like automatic update installs, so I used group policy editor to tell Windows to just let me know when there are updates.

Windows did notify me last Tuesday or Wednesday that it had updates. I reviewed them (mainly Office 2010 but a couple were security fixes I think). I downloaded and then installed and rebooted.

Then annoyingly, Windows discovered an Excel update that it had to apply. Which I said OK. But then Windows stated I would need ANOTHER reboot (Sheeze!) but it would do it outside of "Active hours", which are default set to 8:00am to 5:00pm.

Well, I keep my computer on 24 X 7 with app windows open (such as Outlook) and backup tasks scheduled to run during sleep hours, which are the only real inactive hours for me. But Microsoft has decreed that the active hours can ONLY be in the range of 1 hour to 12 hours. PERIOD. Thanks Microsoft! (NOT).

I really don't want Microsoft rebooting the machine on it's own whim! So I was hoping to find a way to turn off this auto reboot.

One article I came across showed some registry keys that appeared to disable the automatic reboots but I later discovered that those keys were apparently for the HOME version of Win 10, not the PRO version that I HAVE. So I returned to group policy editor to look there, where I discovered that I was able to change the active hours to 8am to 2am. Don't know if this will stick though. But at least the machine should reboot during my sleep time now.

However, I'd really like to turn the active hour reboot off but there does not seem to be a way to that? I want full control of when the machine reboots. I don't need Microsoft thinking for me.

P.S. After returning to the machine the next morning, I noticed that it HAD NOT rebooted overnight to install that 2nd Excel patch. So I manually rebooted it myself. Does this "Active Hours" reboot thing actually work?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

slow Windows 7 update scanning

I have been plagued with this problem on my Win 7 (64 bit) laptop, so I went to the excellent Woody Leonard article you mentioned. The latest update at the German site that Woody referenced was already installed on my Win 7 (also 64 bit) desktop. So I ran an Update scan on the desktop. Took only 2 minutes! The latest update was not on my laptop, so I followed Woody's instructions and installed it. The laptop Update scan took 40 minutes! Both desktop and laptop are on the same network--in fact they are sitting next to each other on my desk.

I also have noticed over many months (years?) that when I actually download/install updates on my desktop, the process starts almost immediately. Yet when I do the same on my laptop, it takes about 6 HOURS before the download process begins!

Have you had any experience with a delayed download/install update process, and do you think it might be related to the slow update scan? And why would it affect my laptop, but not my desktop? I checked my Windows network Local Area Connection Status on both computers. Neither show any errors, and both show a speed of 1 Gbps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Harry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    hmw

You are not the only one. This this thread may help

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...ching-heats-up

Good luck

Chris

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Chris:

Thanks for the link. KB3161664 was already installed on both my desktop and laptop. In that other thread, Sudo15 mentioned having to add KB3161608. That is not installed on either of my computers, and I can't find any record of it being offered to me. Is it installed on your computers?

EDIT: Just did a search and found a Woody Leonard column which said KB3161608 had been pulled by Microsoft, and replaced with KB3133977. KB3133977 was installed on both my computers on April 2.

Harry
    Last edited by hmw; 2016-08-15 at 00:33. Reason: added more info