Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41
  1. #1
    Uranium Lounger CWBillow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV USA
    Posts
    6,370
    Thanks
    78
    Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts

    MS Account or Local Account

    I'm not sure why (perhaps I am paranoid?) But from the beginning I set up my Windows 10 around a local account. I have a MS Account for updating, but not for "everyday" use. Today though I ran into a new issue: Apps seem to install without issue for MS accounts but not =necessarily for local account -- apps such as Facebook.

    Would I be losing or gaining anything to convert over to using a MS account as my key account? I see that apps seem to prefer MS accounts, but aside from that?

    Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

    ~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

  2. #2
    Super Moderator bbearren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    3,760
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 424 Times in 338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    I'm not sure why (perhaps I am paranoid?) But from the beginning I set up my Windows 10 around a local account. I have a MS Account for updating, but not for "everyday" use. Today though I ran into a new issue: Apps seem to install without issue for MS accounts but not =necessarily for local account -- apps such as Facebook.

    Would I be losing or gaining anything to convert over to using a MS account as my key account? I see that apps seem to prefer MS accounts, but aside from that?

    Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    It would depend more on which Apps you use and their functionality running under a Standard user account. I don't use any Apps on my desktop other than News, Weather, and Solitaire. The only drawback there is that my scores don't get posted or compared with other players, but I couldn't care less about that end of it. I play Solitaire just to unwind sometimes.

    I'm not really a gamer, and I haven't noticed any Apps that I'm interested in. I'm on facebook, but I see no reason to use the App instead of the web site. I have Amazon Prime for movies and TV series. Admittedly, I don't visit the Store very often. On my Windows phone, I use a couple of Apps, but there is only one user level on the phone, so there's no issue there.

    OneDrive lets me sign in with my MS Account credentials even though I'm running as a Standard User, and keeps me connected, so there's no problem there, either.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

    "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

  3. #3
    3 Star Lounger djohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Delaware City, Delaware
    Posts
    323
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    I am constantly signed in with an MS account. In my opinion it makes for a much more seamless user experience.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator bbearren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    3,760
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 424 Times in 338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    I am constantly signed in with an MS account. In my opinion it makes for a much more seamless user experience.
    My user experience is completely seamless. The Apps I do use don't require being signed in with a MS account other than OneDrive, and I only had to sign in once when I first set it up. Whenever I sign in as a Standard user, OneDrive reconnects using my stored credentials without any intervention on my part.

    Now that I think about it, I haven't used my MS accounts for anything other than setting up OneDrive, and haven't signed in with them sense that time. OneDrive stays synced on my desktop, my NAS, and my Windows phone. I have a Scheduled Task that runs Robocopy to duplicate my Documents folder to my local OneDrive folder (which is on a different HDD in the desktop), which syncs with online OneDrive, which then syncs with my local OneDrive folder on my NAS in a RAID 10 array, which all in all has my Documents folder duplicated in 4 places (5 if you count the mirroring in RAID 10).

    I have a dedicated partition for my pictures, which are also duplicated via Robocopy to my local OneDrive folder, and through the above mentioned process, all my pictures are also duplicated in 4 locations. And then there are my drive images for additional backup.

    And all of that accomplished signing in as a Standard user. But of course, I'm not big on Apps, so that part of the equation is irrelevant. I have created a local Administrators level user account that I use for UAC.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

    "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Rick Corbett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Glos., UK
    Posts
    2,136
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked 574 Times in 460 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    I am constantly signed in with an MS account. In my opinion it makes for a much more seamless user experience.
    Doesn't that mean that you have nothing to use as a comparison?
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-08-10 at 23:49.

  6. #6
    3 Star Lounger djohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Delaware City, Delaware
    Posts
    323
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Doesn't that mean that you have nothing to use as a comparison?
    Not at all. I constantly use Hyper-V, and VHDs for testing, and I sign into them as local accounts.

  7. #7
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Delaware, US
    Posts
    1,160
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 99 Times in 88 Posts
    I'm not sure what the push is at MS to get people using a MS account for login. What
    downsides are there to using the same type of local account that's been around for years? IOW, why the change?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,518
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I'm not sure what the push is at MS to get people using a MS account for login. What
    downsides are there to using the same type of local account that's been around for years? IOW, why the change?
    A Microsoft account has several advantages, which may or may not be valuable depending on your point of view: common settings across devices, contacts reuse across devices, device location (plus device lock and reset in phones, wish that was made available for laptops as well), automatic installation of store apps on new installations. Plus, with a Microsoft account, the problem of lost passwords can be avoided, since there are mechanisms to reset a lost Microsoft account password.

    I have always used a Microsoft account since Windows 8 and I see no reason to go back to local accounts. I have seen no evidence of privacy loss in all these years that I have been using it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  9. #9
    Super Moderator bbearren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    3,760
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 424 Times in 338 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    Not at all. I constantly use Hyper-V, and VHDs for testing, and I sign into them as local accounts.
    We all have our own preferences, and our own reasons for doing what we do. I would say it would be difficult to get more seamless than signing in once, doing anything and everything one wishes to do with a PC, and then signing out.

    Cross-platform sync is not useful for me; I use my personal phone for work also, and there are many contacts on my phone that I simply don't need or want on my desktop at home. I also use my laptop for work, but everything I use and need syncs through the Microsoft Exchange Server from work, which I can also access via my phone. My Documents and Pictures are handled through OneDrive, so I have access to everything I might need from any platform without signing in with a MS account.

    That's my experience; of course, the only Apps I use don't require signing in with a MS account in order to function to my satisfaction. I appreciate UAC preventing any process from completing if it requires elevated privileges. Signing in with a local Standard user account is my preference.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

    "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

  10. #10
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Delaware, US
    Posts
    1,160
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 99 Times in 88 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I have always used a Microsoft account since Windows 8 and I see no reason to go back to local accounts. I have seen no evidence of privacy loss in all these years that I have been using it.
    In the past, I've always had to be able to log into networks at clients. That more or less mandates using a local account - or I thought it did.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

  11. #11
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,518
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    In the past, I've always had to be able to log into networks at clients. That more or less mandates using a local account - or I thought it did.
    Sorry, that doesn't make much sense to me. You may need an account valid on the network, so I don't see how using a local or a Microsoft account would be any different. In my local network, networking between Windows 7 machines and Windows 8.x or 10.x machines (the latter using MS accounts) is done without any issues. I was asked the login details the first time I tried and since then everything just works.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  12. #12
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Delaware, US
    Posts
    1,160
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 99 Times in 88 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    In my local network, networking between Windows 7 machines and Windows 8.x or 10.x machines (the latter using MS accounts) is done without any issues. I was asked the login details the first time I tried and since then everything just works.
    That's a local network. I have an established login name and password that I have been using on clients networks (when I go there to work) for a number of years. Using this as my local login avoids network login issues.

    I would never use that as a credential for my MS account nor would I change my network login to my MS account (which is an email). The IT departments would likely have a fit if I even suggested this.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to gsmith-plm For This Useful Post:

    JCitizen (2016-08-22)

  14. #13
    Super Moderator Rick Corbett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    South Glos., UK
    Posts
    2,136
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked 574 Times in 460 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I'm not sure what the push is at MS to get people using a MS account for login. What
    downsides are there to using the same type of local account that's been around for years? IOW, why the change?
    It's solely about money. Google has piles, Apple has piles, Amazon has piles... and MS wants in on it.

    IMO Microsoft wants to move towards the same closed and tightly-controlled environments as Apple and Amazon devices where you can only buy content, apps, whatever via MS.

    It's going to be a long haul but the first step is to encourage users to use a Microsoft Account. Now they have a name and email address to tie together with the hardware details they already know from 'digital license' activations and telemetry.

    To encourage take-up, some time in the near future apps like Skype will only be available from the Microsoft store. As soon as any outrage dies down then Office will be made store-only as well, unless you're using Enterprise or Education SKUs. Much will be made of how this benefits users - better value, better interaction between devices, better security, blah, blah, blah... but the reality is that it benefits Microsoft.

    Talking of security... ZDNET article last week: Microsoft won't fix Windows flaw that lets hackers steal your username and password
    "The flaw, which allows a malicious website to extract user passwords, is made worse if a user is logged in with a Microsoft account."

  15. #14
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,518
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    That's a local network. I have an established login name and password that I have been using on clients networks (when I go there to work) for a number of years. Using this as my local login avoids network login issues.

    I would never use that as a credential for my MS account nor would I change my network login to my MS account (which is an email). The IT departments would likely have a fit if I even suggested this.
    Well, you could still use your existing network account with a MS account on your laptop, you would just need to enter the login details when accessing network resources. This would be the same, even if they used AD to allow network resources access. For years I have used my laptop with a local account, an had different AD network details, when accessing my workplace network. Not as seamless, but it just requires an additional one time login per visit.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  16. #15
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,518
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    It's solely about money. Google has piles, Apple has piles, Amazon has piles... and MS wants in on it.

    IMO Microsoft wants to move towards the same closed and tightly-controlled environments as Apple and Amazon devices where you can only buy content, apps, whatever via MS.

    It's going to be a long haul but the first step is to encourage users to use a Microsoft Account. Now they have a name and email address to tie together with the hardware details they already know from 'digital license' activations and telemetry.

    To encourage take-up, some time in the near future apps like Skype will only be available from the Microsoft store. As soon as any outrage dies down then Office will be made store-only as well, unless you're using Enterprise or Education SKUs. Much will be made of how this benefits users - better value, better interaction between devices, better security, blah, blah, blah... but the reality is that it benefits Microsoft.

    Talking of security... ZDNET article last week: Microsoft won't fix Windows flaw that lets hackers steal your username and password
    "The flaw, which allows a malicious website to extract user passwords, is made worse if a user is logged in with a Microsoft account."
    You say it's about money, I say it's about survivability, which involves money, as well. I am sure you noticed, Microsoft only dominates the desktop and it makes complete sense to be competitive in a market where mobile has gained an enormous importance.

    Competition forces Microsoft to compete. How surprising is that? I don't blame Microsoft for doing what it thinks it is needed for survival. Some decisions do not seem so clever to me, but I don't think the competition is any better and they show the same disregard for the users in so many ways...

    About the flaw, use IE and Edge at your own risk. I have been disparaging Microsoft's browsers for a long time.

    Plus, Microsoft account allows 2FA, in an implementation that is quite well thought out. Even accessing your account from a previously unknown device will trigger the need for 2FA.
    Microsoft account or not, whatever ecosystem you prefer, not using the strongest possible mechanisms to protect your account, regardless of whether it is a google, icloud or MS, is inviting disaster.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •