Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Installing Win10 1607 proves to be a mixed bag

Windows 10

Installing Win10 1607 proves to be a mixed bag

By Tracey Capen

In my Aug. 4 Field Notes column, I stated that it was good that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update was rolling out over several weeks.

Based on feedback from readers in the Windows Secrets Lounge, the update went well for some but certainly not all. If you like the latest thing, upgrading to Win10 1607 right now might be a case of "Be careful what you wish for."

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/installing-win10-1607-proves-to-be-a-mixed-bag/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2016-08-10 at 21:10.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Seven typos. Is twice-weekly really a good idea?

New Lounger
    Thanks

problem installing win 10 anniversary update solved

I had trouble installing the update and I found that many other folks had the same problem (error code: 0x80070057). Somewhere online I found the solution. Turning off the router/modem after downloading the update and keeping it off until the update completes solved the problem. After the various resets and the update has completed. Then turn the router/modem back on and check for updates.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I absolutely HATE the new Windows Update "protocol". MS gives NO forewarning about what the update is all about, then POOOF your machine is changed.

For example this past weekend I was having a problem logging onto the internet. I tried CCleaner, my antivirus (F-Secure) and a few other utilities. Nothing worked. I then decided to try a Windows Update. There was NOTHING on the update site to tell me that Win 10 Anniversary was the pending update...TWO HOURS LATER...the update completed....without any other problems. Still my original problem persisted.

Fortunately, I have a backup laptop running Mint Linux. Using that I was able to diagnose the problem. Turns out all my network settings had to be reset. The new update provided a single button in the networking settings so the new update was a help.

I said all of that to say: why can't MS be transparent in what they are downloading to us?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After the update, one of my desktop computer users at my office complained that her display was dead. The update reset her "turn off monitor" option to less than one minute. It was an easy fix (Settings|System|Power & sleep), but might be elusive to some users.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Various apps not working after upgrade to 1607 OS Build 14393.10 among then, news, maps, TV and Movies all up-to-date as of 8/11/16?

iNET Interactive
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Seven typos. Is twice-weekly really a good idea?
    Getting really tired of hearing about typos. Windows Secrets has just one editor/writer, working with extremely tight deadlines, for long hours, and with no backup editor. I don't need to hear about it from one of our moderators. Stick to comments about content, please.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tracey Capen For This Useful Post:

satrow (2016-08-11)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I noticed there were several mistakes in both of today's articles.
    For a paid subscription, is it too much to ask for effective proof-reading?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Trev For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2016-08-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Surface Pro 4 Headache

I installed the update on a Surface Pro 4 and it was riddled with bugs. Sound would sometimes work but mostly no right from boot up. A driver search showed they were up to date. Problems with the taskbar locking up but the desktop area worked and the network icon in the system tray only displayed a wire connection in wired or wifi. Random lockups everywhere and my Hyper-V machines wouldn't boot at all. I messed with it for a couple of hours and finally rolled back to the previous version. Up till now I haven't had any major problems with any update.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracey Capen View Post
    Getting really tired of hearing about typos. Windows Secrets has just one editor/writer, working with extremely tight deadlines, for long hours, and with no backup editor. I don't need to hear about it from one of our moderators. Stick to comments about content, please.
    I guess you also don't need an unpaid moderator or a paying subscriber then. It's a pity you don't appreciate how much the mistakes detract and distract from the remaining content for your customers. We've been taught to distrust text that's filled with errors.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

wavy (2016-08-16)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron1946 View Post
    I installed the update on a Surface Pro 4 and it was riddled with bugs.
    I can understand the issue of bugs, particularly having to do with hardware drivers, on a machine from "Bob's Bargain Computers and Sushi", but a Microsoft Surface Pro 4? Their flagship hybrid tablet? Come, on guys. Who's running the show there now, Ren or Stimpy?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Lounger
    Thanks
    What is one supposed to do when the anniversary update will not install? I first tried it on my Dell and it installed with no problems. Then I tried it yesterday on my HP. No go! It appears to download ok, I get the screen saying my computer is good to go for the update, then the installation begins. It runs for hours and appears to get to the final phase when it stops at 40% and gives me a red box stating, "Windows could not configure one or more components. To install Windows, restart the computer and then restart the Installation." No error codes or any explanation of what might be wrong. My machine is then returned to the previous Win10 version. I've tried this twice, spending many hours, and had the same outcome both times. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Then I tried it yesterday on my HP
    You don't by chance have the HP Client Security Program on your HP do you? If so, get rid of it and try again.

Lounger
    Thanks

HP 1607 Upgrade Issue

In reply to the last post, does the HP software referenced have exactly that name? I checked my task manager on the HP and there is nothing by that exact name or even close. I further checked Control Panel>Programs and features and found nothing either. Are there any other ideas or suggestions on how I can get 1607 to install?

Don Eager

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Eager View Post
    In reply to the last post, does the HP software referenced have exactly that name? I checked my task manager on the HP and there is nothing by that exact name or even close. I further checked Control Panel>Programs and features and found nothing either. Are there any other ideas or suggestions on how I can get 1607 to install?

Don Eager
    You might get more help if you posted the issue in the Windows 10 forum. This is not necessarily read by as many who help there as it is supposed to be comments about the column.
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast