Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Super Moderator bbearren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    3,764
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 424 Times in 338 Posts

    I just noticed my phone going through an upgrade ...

    ... with the spinning gears on screen. It seems to be quite large. I've plugged the phone in, and will update when I find out what's going on.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

    "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

  2. #2
    Super Moderator bbearren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Polk County, Florida
    Posts
    3,764
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 424 Times in 338 Posts
    Back online, and it's the AU upgrade. Version 1607, build 10.0.14393.67.

    We'll see how this one goes.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

    "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

  3. #3
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Delaware, US
    Posts
    1,172
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 99 Times in 88 Posts
    It's going to be interesting to see how this works out. MS can't seem to decide what it want to do with existing phones. My old WinPhone wouldn't upgrade past 8.1 (which came as a surprise to many) and it lacked a couple apps that I needed/wanted so I'm on Android now.

    If MS ever decides what they want WinMobile to be and how they want to integrate it with WinDesktop, perhaps I'll move back (but I don't think so).

    Microsoft really needs to get on top of this because devices like the NexDock are pointing a way to a future where a smartphone can act as both a portable device and the brains of a notebook computer. But that's going to take a massive effort because at this point the Universal Apps platform really sucks and you can't run desktop apps with WinMobile.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

  4. #4
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    It's going to be interesting to see how this works out. MS can't seem to decide what it want to do with existing phones. My old WinPhone wouldn't upgrade past 8.1 (which came as a surprise to many) and it lacked a couple apps that I needed/wanted so I'm on Android now.

    If MS ever decides what they want WinMobile to be and how they want to integrate it with WinDesktop, perhaps I'll move back (but I don't think so).

    Microsoft really needs to get on top of this because devices like the NexDock are pointing a way to a future where a smartphone can act as both a portable device and the brains of a notebook computer. But that's going to take a massive effort because at this point the Universal Apps platform really sucks and you can't run desktop apps with WinMobile.
    The AU runs fine on my Microsoft Lumia 640. I like it very much. Graphics are crisp, battery life has improved (battery at 47% after 2 days and 8 hours).
    I haven't looked at the dev side of Universal apps, so I don't know why you say it sucks, but from a user point of view, I like Universal apps. Skype preview seems excellent, other apps look and work fine (calculator being one of those I use the most).

    Personally, if I lose the ability to get Windows Phone devices, I don't know what I will do. I hate Android with a vengeance. I have an Android tablet that has never had an OS upgrade available, even. Performance is nothing but horrible, even with a single app running (I use my tablet mostly for Audible audiobooks). The security situation is a nightmare and I could go on and on...

    The market hasn't validated Windows Phone, but Android doesn't even come close in terms of usability and performance. I will hang to Windows phone while I can, even though I must say that Microsoft seems to do its best to make this hard - I had a Lumia 800 that couldn't be upgraded to 8.x and now Skype won't work there or even on Windows 8.x devices. Still, I really like the OS, which has lost some features and some I quite liked, but it still is the most pleasant mobile OS to use, IMO.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  5. #5
    5 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Delaware, US
    Posts
    1,172
    Thanks
    19
    Thanked 99 Times in 88 Posts
    Development of Universal Apps has been slow and it's something of a chicken/egg issue. Is development slow because acceptance has been slow or has acceptance been slow because UA development is slow. Also, there's been a lot of griping that even when there is a UA version of an Apple/Android app, it's often inferior. And then there's the whole issue of MS seemingly changing gears on WinMobile and letting some 7,800 people go.

    Here's a couple perspectives on it:
    https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...-10-mobile-app

    http://www.programmableweb.com/news/...yet/2015/07/08

    It may improve, but for now it fails the "warm and fuzzy feeling" test.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

  6. #6
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    Development of Universal Apps has been slow and it's something of a chicken/egg issue. Is development slow because acceptance has been slow or has acceptance been slow because UA development is slow. Also, there's been a lot of griping that even when there is a UA version of an Apple/Android app, it's often inferior. And then there's the whole issue of MS seemingly changing gears on WinMobile and letting some 7,800 people go.

    Here's a couple perspectives on it:
    https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...-10-mobile-app

    http://www.programmableweb.com/news/...yet/2015/07/08

    It may improve, but for now it fails the "warm and fuzzy feeling" test.
    Of course universal apps development will be slow. It's all about market share. The 1 billion devices goal was meant to provide attractiveness for Universal apps. Until there is a bigger market, UWP will always be wanting in terms of app availability.

    Things require time. The UWP Skype, only in preview version one year after Windows 10, is a good example. It's a superb app, it sure has nothing to lose to the Android version.

    What has been said about Windows Phone is well known to me, I have owned no other smartphones than Windows Phones. The success of the Windows mobile platform lies on the attractiveness of the UWP. Even to reach reasonable numbers, it will take time.

    I hope MS sticks with Windows Mobile. As I said, I really can't see myself using anything else. Between the contempt for Android and the money gouging Apple ways, I really don't know what I would do.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  7. #7
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    404
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Of course universal apps development will be slow. It's all about market share. The 1 billion devices goal was meant to provide attractiveness for Universal apps. Until there is a bigger market, UWP will always be wanting in terms of app availability.

    Things require time. The UWP Skype, only in preview version one year after Windows 10, is a good example. It's a superb app, it sure has nothing to lose to the Android version.

    What has been said about Windows Phone is well known to me, I have owned no other smartphones than Windows Phones. The success of the Windows mobile platform lies on the attractiveness of the UWP. Even to reach reasonable numbers, it will take time.

    I hope MS sticks with Windows Mobile. As I said, I really can't see myself using anything else. Between the contempt for Android and the money gouging Apple ways, I really don't know what I would do.
    If you've never used an Android phone then you are hardly qualified to make such statements.
    I've used Android, Windows phones and an Apple Iphone and much prefer Android.
    I do make sure I buy a brand which gives a full Android experience though, too many manufactures over bloat their offerings.

  8. #8
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,594
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    My 1520 is running this release. My battery life is horrible. After charging all night so it is at 100%, I'll run a couple of apps like MSN Sports, CBS News, MSN News, Twitter for about an hour. The phone will generally say between 75% and 85% left. After that I'll use Outlook and Messaging occasionally. Then after a couple or three hours my phone will flash a "battery extremely low" message and turn off. I'll plug it in and after the reboot it will show between 2% & 8% battery remaining. I've reported this on the feedback hub and I know there have been fixes for battery life. It just hasn't helped mine.

    Other than that, I like Win10 mobile (maybe not quite as much as Win Phone 8.1). Microsoft seems to be improving it fairly quickly. Compared to what I see my wife doing with he Android phone there is no way I want to change to Android. This is not the first Android phone she has had either.
    Joe

  9. #9
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    If you've never used an Android phone then you are hardly qualified to make such statements.
    I've used Android, Windows phones and an Apple Iphone and much prefer Android.
    I do make sure I buy a brand which gives a full Android experience though, too many manufactures over bloat their offerings.
    You cannot have read properly, since I clearly stated I own and use an Android tablet, a Lenovo one, definitely not a cheap brand. And therein lies immediately a huge difference - one of my phones was a Lumia 620, not the best hardware and it ran Windows Phone way better than my Lenovo tablet runs Android. I never experienced the lag, the sudden unresponsiveness that affects my tablet and that I have seen even in newer tablets. Android, to even be in a comparable performance with Windows Phone, requires more powerful CPUs - no wonder what you read on Android's hardware adverts is the number of CPU cores. What a waste of hardware...

    My experience with the my own tablet, my son's two Lenovo tablets, the last of which was bought around 3 months ago, which I helped configure and use sporadically and my experience with several differently specced Windows phones, on the contrary, makes me fully qualified to say what I said about Android. I would dare say you are not qualified to qualify my own qualifications to qualify Android. You wasted a nice opportunity to say something you could actually be qualified to say.

    It's a shame that you ended up posting something that a more careful reading of the whole post would prevent you from posting. Oh well, it is what it is.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  10. #10
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    404
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
    I'm also entitled to my opinion (this is a Forum, right?) and this Thread was about phones, NOT tablets.
    You are making baseless statements about Android and then react aggressively to a different opinion?
    Goodnight.

  11. #11
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    I'm also entitled to my opinion (this is a Forum, right?) and this Thread was about phones, NOT tablets.
    You are making baseless statements about Android and then react aggressively to a different opinion?
    Goodnight.
    Yes, you are entitled to your opinion and your opinion qualifies you and your opinions, both. Good thing is that the thread is here and everyone can read it and make their own opinions about the substantiation of the opinions offered here.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  12. #12
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    404
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Yes, you are entitled to your opinion and your opinion qualifies you and your opinions, both. Good thing is that the thread is here and everyone can read it and make their own opinions about the substantiation of the opinions offered here.
    I've re-read your offerings on Android in this Thread and cannot find any hint of "substantiation" whatsoever.
    A few empirical and generalized observations, even from you, will probably not affect the market share of the most popular mobile phone platform.

  13. #13
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    I've re-read your offerings on Android in this Thread and cannot find any hint of "substantiation" whatsoever.
    A few empirical and generalized observations, even from you, will probably not affect the market share of the most popular mobile phone platform.


    There you go, the atom bomb used: Android has the biggest market share! "The most popular mobile phone platform". Wow, I am impressed... Am I still allowed to have an opinion, or do we just all behave like good herd members and use Android, since it is "The most popular mobile phone platform"?

    Like market share would validate anything. Is that all you have to offer? Market share?! What does that have to do with my own evaluation of Android? And are we not allowed to like something less than another things, just because the less liked thing has the biggest market share?

    So, on a technical forum, your answer is market share. Telling. Reeks of lack of stronger arguments to me, but ok, you win. Wow. Market share! I am impressed. What else can I say. I am inclined to say "market share, market share, market". Maybe, next time when someone comes here and expresses a substantiated opinion on Windows weaknesses, we should just tell them: "please behave, Windows has the biggest market share for desktops and laptops, so please keep your opinions to yourselves, as they are made irrelevant by the sheer weight of Windows market share!".

    That you cannot find any substantiation, at this point in the discussion, is not surprising at all. You are right, I didn't invoke market share and Windows Phone has almost no market share. Windows Phone must be really bad, then, having no market share. Poor Windows Phone and poor me, not even having the market share argument to wield.


    Now more seriously: I didn't post to affect anything, as I never post to affect anything. I expressed an opinion, which I am sure even you will recognize I am entitled to have, since you have just claimed that right to yourself.

    My opinion is based on my experience with Android and Windows Phone. That's what it is, my opinion, based on my experience. I will add that I find this opinion consistent with some Android hardware reviews, so I also think that despite the crushing weight of the market share argument, my opinion may be consistent with other opinions of people who tested, just imagine, Android phones (not tablets!).

    Since my opinion seems to bother you, please know that you will have no alternative but to live with it, since I won't change it just because of your "substantive", market share based, opinion.

    I am sorry if this hurts your Android feelings .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

  14. #14
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    404
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
    For the avoidance of doubt:-
    1. I gave no technical opinion of Android, I merely expressed my opinion that I prefer it over other platforms.
    2.I never suggested market share should be a factor in user choice.
    3.On a Thread about phones, I pointed out that you had previously said you have no experience of Android phones.
    Your posts are aggressive and full of bluster and I have no more time for this nonsense.

  15. #15
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,519
    Thanks
    152
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    For the avoidance of doubt:-
    1. I gave no technical opinion of Android, I merely expressed my opinion that I prefer it over other platforms.
    2.I never suggested market share should be a factor in user choice.
    3.On a Thread about phones, I pointed out that you had previously said you have no experience of Android phones.
    Your posts are aggressive and full of bluster and I have no more time for this nonsense.
    A few noteworthy aspects of this discussion:

    1. You justify opinions with market share. Brilliant

    2. You imply Android on a tablet has nothing to do with Android on a phone. Obviously, the same versions of Android will perform better, by some technological miracle, on phones than on tablets, even though the latter will usually be more powerful and where battery life will be of less relevance. Right. Must be a consequence of market share then.

    3. Your opinion is freer than mine, since you can express it and should not be subject to criticism but me, the adopter of the platform with less market share, must not express my own with equal freedom.

    Did you say nonsense?! How apt is that?! That conclusion should have come so much sooner!
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •