Lounger
    Thanks

Where Does One Look for the W10 Version?

I have a single computer (out of 5 running W10) that does not show the W10 edition or OS Build information on the Settings|System|About screen. It shows that it is running W10 Home, but nothing else - it is not that the fields are blank, but the entries are not even on the screen. Is there another place to look?

That computer was upgraded last year and has been running fine, with one exception - it has never been able to complete a Windows Update since the initial upgrade - it always stalls at 68% of the final step, and I have to force shutdown to get it to roll out the changes and start working again. And now the strangest thing - it actually DID succeed in installing updates for the first time last night (not the AU, as far as I can tell)! But the version and build info is still not shown.

Thanks
    Run 'winver' from a command line.

Thanks
    Type winver into search.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanx for those replies. The winver output on that particular machine is screwy also. After the Wednesday update, all three of my other machines (1 W10 Home and 2 W10 Pro) show Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.545), but that fourth one shows Version 10.0 (OS Build 10240). Strange.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Were any/all of those computers upgraded? From what?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

davidhk
    V7Goose,

Use the link below to see Windows 10 Update history
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...update-history

It shows you each build number, the date it was released, and its corresponding KB for installing the build.

1. Your 3 machines running 10586.545, need to be updated to Anniversary Update.
    You can use the "Get the Anniversary Update now" button from the same link above to do the update.

2. Your 4th one running 10240, I am not sure exactly what to do with it. Other members will have an answer for you.

3. What about the 5th computer ? What build does it show ?
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-08-13 at 08:49.

Thanks
    V7Goose,
    If you go to the link that davidhk posted, it shows that 10240 is still being updated but there are obviously many that are still not upgraded to the next version yet ( 1511 ). The only way I got to 1511 was by using the MCT some time ago. I have deferred upgrades to the AU until some of the complaints slow down.
    If you use the MCT now, it will probably give you the AU 1607.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I know the AU is coming, but I do not particularly want it, so I'll wait for it to arrive in its own sour time.

All of my machines were upgraded from W7. The 5th machine is a tiny HP Netbook that was running W7 starter edition and an Atom processor. Although the machine reports it is x64 ready, it upgraded to 32 bit W10 Home. It was the very first computer I upgraded to W10 soon after release, primarily because I do not really care what happens to it. But it has worked perfectly. Since the format and processor put it in a class by itself, I pay absolutely no attention to what it is running. If it keeps working - great, if not, well, time for the trash.
    Last edited by V7Goose; 2016-08-14 at 10:10. Reason: correction

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    If you use the MCT now, it will probably give you the AU 1607.
    Correct, it will.