Thanks

How the father of the world wide web plans to reclaim it from facebook and google

Interesting concept. Hard to tell if it will "fly" in this day & age.
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/way...alize-the-web/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Hard to tell if it will "fly"
    I very much doubt it. If Facebook proved anything, it's that a large tranche of the online pop could care less about things like privacy, who has their data, etc.

Then every corporation wants a slice of you, plus every government wants a small few 'chokepoints' it can control or coerce into providing personal data--eg think of how banks are currently used to manipulate people and countries.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You only have to look at smartphones to realize this idea won't work. Every time you install an app on a cellphone, it will "ask permission" to access certain things (location, camera, contacts, etc). Much of the time you can't cherry pick these things, you either accept them or don't use the app - and people give them access without even thinking about it.

The exact same thing would happen with these data pods. Just because you "own" the data doesn't protect it. As soon as you give some online application access, there's nothing to keep them from copying and storing it and sharing that with whoever they wish. The only real way of protecting your data is to never go online in the first place. The second best is to create a virtual surrogate and do everything on line through this.

I do remember the early years of the internet, having used DARPA/ARPANET in the Army. Then in the 90's I spent a lot of time in CompuServe chatrooms which were a boon to spreading information on various computer programs I was involved with. But when it started spreading into the WWW, I got a bit leary, because I could see signs even then of a number of places that wanted you to "sign-up" and provide things like address and home phone. Fast forward 20 years and we have things like Facebook.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2016-08-15 at 08:59.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)