3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update makes CPU run continually at 25%

I'm not sure if this has been addressed before but for the past two or three weeks I've noticed my CPU running nearly continuously at around 25%. A little investigation showed that it does this when the Windows Update is running. I tried stopping WU in the performance section of Task Manager which brings the processor use back down to normal (0 to 2%). But then I keep getting little nagging messages from the system tray (notification center) saying WU is not running.

Can anyone tell me if it's okay to have the CPU running at 25% and/or if it's okay to stop WU from running to give it rest. Windows Update never did this until recently. I have a 2012 Windows 7 HP, 64bit, desktop with an Intel Core i3 processor, & 4 gigs of RAM.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows Update has been extremely slow or broken since the release of Windows 10 to the public. I check for updates at bedtime and look in the morning.
    Joe

Thanks
    How is your WU setting configured?
    Mine is set this way and I just check for updates when I see they are available. WU shouldn't be running constantly.
    WU settings.JPG

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    How is your WU setting configured?
    Mine is set this way and I just check for updates when I see they are available. WU shouldn't be running constantly.
    Mine is set to check for updates but not download or install them. I then sometimes pick the ones I don't want and click the install button. I've been doing it this way since around 2005 with Win XP. WU is working although very slowly, and I got all of last month's updates okay. Now the new August batch has come in and the CPU is running at 25% again. It's very frustrating, and everyone is having problems. I'm very tempted to do what you've done and turn the Windows Update to never check, but then I'd have to wait even longer for it to "Check for new updates". Ugh!

Thanks
    It only takes about 1 minute for WU to find updates for me.
    I followed some of the advice that is in this thread http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...-Worked-For-Me on all my W7 computers.
    Hope this helps

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The CPU only works at 25% when my modem is on and I have an Internet connection. Otherwise the computer runs normally for all other things. Soon after I connect, WU starts doing something and the processor runs at 25% all the time I'm connected. If I turn WU off, it restarts itself. It's maddening. My dislike of MS is getting greater by the day. As much as I like Win 7 and XP, I'll eventually be forced to use Linux for Internet and email!

Thanks
    Sounds like you are frustrated and done with windows so good luck with Linux. I've never used Linux so I don't have a clue as to it's workings.
    On 5/19/16 there was a WS newsletter about completely resetting WU, maybe that would help.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott
    WU is working although very slowly, and I got all of last month's updates okay. Now the new August batch has come in and the CPU is running at 25% again. It's very frustrating, and everyone is having problems.
    Are you sure that, in addition to the Windows Update issues, you don't have a diagnostics/telemetry service (which is tied in closely with Windows Update in order to know what updates to show you) kicking in as soon as an internet connection is detected?

Do you have any of the following Windows Updates installed?

KB2976978 - Diagnostics for upgrade
    KB3022345 - Diag & Telemetry track svc
    KB3068708 - Diag & Telemetry track svc
    KB3075249 - Telemetry to consent.exe
    KB3080149 - Diag & Telemetry track svc

Hope this helps...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Are you sure that, in addition to the Windows Update issues, you don't have a diagnostics/telemetry service (which is tied in closely with Windows Update in order to know what updates to show you) kicking in as soon as an internet connection is detected?

Do you have any of the following Windows Updates installed?

KB2976978 - Diagnostics for upgrade
    KB3022345 - Diag & Telemetry track svc
    KB3068708 - Diag & Telemetry track svc
    KB3075249 - Telemetry to consent.exe
    KB3080149 - Diag & Telemetry track svc

Hope this helps...
    Thank you for that list. I just checked and I don't have any of them. Am I right in assuming that's good?

Things have settled down and the CPU doesn't run as much now as it was, so maybe things will be okay. I'm a person who follows Woody Leonhard's advice and doesn't download and install the latest Windows Updates until he gives the okay. So I still have the August updates reported to me but not downloaded or installed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott
    I just checked and I don't have any of them. Am I right in assuming that's good?

Things have settled down and the CPU doesn't run as much now as it was, so maybe things will be okay. I'm a person who follows Woody Leonhard's advice and doesn't download and install the latest Windows Updates until he gives the okay.
    For what it's worth, I also read Woody and think it's good you don't have any of the Diag/Telemetry updates installed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do you have KB3050265 installed - that was June's update agent to prevent hung Check for updates.

If WU starts taking up CPU again, go into Windows Update to see if it is checking for updates.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Do you have KB3050265 installed - that was June's update agent to prevent hung Check for updates.

If WU starts taking up CPU again, go into Windows Update to see if it is checking for updates.
    No, I don't have KB3050265 installed either. I stopped allowing "Recommended" updates because of all the Win 10 stuff in there. I only get Important Security updates.

Once or twice I brought up the WU window while the CPU was at 25% and it appeared to be checking for updates. Most other times though it does not appear to be checking, that is, it doesn't give me any indication of anything going on.

I should mention that right now while I'm connected and typing this post, the CPU is not running at 25%! So maybe this will work itself out. I can only hope!
    Last edited by CEScott; 2016-08-14 at 13:53.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    KB3050265 was MS's peace offering to resolve high CPU usage when checking for updates as you will see from the article.

Download the one for your system at https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/3050265

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A permanent solution to the Windows Update 25% CPU continuous problem is to install either the KB3161608 or KB3172605 update rollup, which includes Windows Update Agent/Client version 7.6.7601.23453 dated 5/13/2016 (check the Version info of the wuaueng.dll file in the Windows\System32 folder).

KB3161647, which mentions about the updated Windows Update Client of June 2016, is included in both KB3161608 and KB3172605.

Quote from MS KB article 3161647:
    This update contains some improvements to Windows Update Client in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1. This includes the following:

-An optimization that addresses long scan time for updates that's reported on some computers.
    -Fix for a Windows Update error 0x8007000E on some computers while they are updating.
    -Some reliability improvements.
    Manually download & install either KB3161608 or KB3172605 from the links mentioned. Though KB3172605 supersedes/replaces KB3161608.

For those using Intel Bluetooth drivers & software, download & install newest Intel bluetooth drivers/software which are compatible with KB3161608/KB3172605.
    Last edited by ep-3029; 2016-08-16 at 13:14.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your help with this. It seems that things have returned to normal on my computer and the CPU is not running at 25%. I haven't done anything, so it went away on its own. MS Pixie dust?

If I may add - there is possibly a much bigger problem facing all of us with Win 7 and Win 8.1. Take a look at Woody's website www.askwoody.com. It looks bad for the updating of these OS's. I'm surprised I haven't seen anything about it on this site yet.