New Lounger
    Thanks

Are there good alternatives to CHKDSK?

When I run CHKDSK/F on my 3TB backup disk (Dell 64 bit Windows 7 system), I get a report with multiple items like this:

RECOVERING ORPHANED FILE CHKDSK20131217005359.LOG INTO DIRECTORY FILE 17

However, CHKDSK is, in fact, not doing that recovery at all. I assume there's some problem with the disk size or the GPT format.

What are some good, inexpensive alternatives to CHKDSK?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Don Chambless

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'd download SeaTools for Windows and see if that finds any problems with the HDD.

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support...ls-win-master/

If you have problems installing/running that, you can create a bootable SeaTools for DOS disk which will check the HDD outside of Windows.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/article...S/FAQ/201271en

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/support...oads/seatools/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

chambless (2016-08-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for this suggestion!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Let us know how you get on.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chambless View Post
    ...However, CHKDSK is, in fact, not doing that recovery at all...
    Please state your reason(s) for stating chkdsk "is, in fact, not doing that recovery at all".

Quote Originally Posted by chambless View Post
    ...What are some good, inexpensive alternatives to CHKDSK...
    AFAIK there aren't any.

Chkdsk has been a basic Windows tool since Windows was introduced, has been improved as needed w/ each new OS version, and still is the benchmark when it comes to checking for errors in Windows filesystems.

When chkdsk recovers data it places the data in "found.n" folders on the affected drive; the "found" folders are set "Hide", so unless you have set Windows Explorer to show hidden folders/files you won't see those "found" folders.

If your 3TB backup disk actually is a Seagate model then you should go to the Seagate support website and search for a firmware update for your HDD's serial number.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    I found out, like youse guys, awhile back that chkdsk is not a file finder; I learned to use tools like Piriform's Recuva to recover deleted files, and I use FileSeek free [moved to Pro later] for finding folders/files and sometimes a text string within files.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    I found out, like youse guys, awhile back that chkdsk is not a file finder; I learned to use tools like Piriform's Recuva to recover deleted files, and I use FileSeek free [moved to Pro later] for finding folders/files and sometimes a text string within files.
    Why would you think it is? That's never been it's purpose.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogknees View Post
    Why would you think it is? That's never been it's purpose.
    Not quite, in the early early Windows days, chkdsk was kinda sorta sold as a piece o' file finder; however, after Windows 3.1 & 3.11 -- I never used it for that at all.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    CHKDSK, which has been around since the days of MS-DOS, has never been sold or promoted as a file finder - it has always been included with the OS. Frankly, I can't see how you could use it as a file finder...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    I think I said "piece o' file" finder, not a good file, not a complete file, finder; never was, never sold as such.
    Back in the old DOS days, chkdsk would "find" pieces of "lost" fragments of files that were no longer "correctly" listed in either FAT or DIR areas. Those lost fragments were into *.CHK files which can be search through. If any fragment was important enough, one could copyNpaste the contents [something like PC-Write 3.02 or 4 worked back then] into an open text file.
    Perhaps we are speed-boating past each other?

Keep in mind that back in those days, UPS and surge suppressors were not as affordable as they are now; and when a brown/black-out happened, or a surge happened, and the desktop was "taken down," shut down suddenly, any and all unsaved work was lost -- unless there existed fragments of formerly good files which no longer were listed correctly in FAT or DIR tables.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-08-19 at 11:04.