5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Differences between Local and Microsoft account login?

I've always used my computers as much or more for business than pleasure. So, when I got a Win10Pro computer, I set it up using the same local login that I am accustomed to using. Also, this is a portable and will be used from time to time onsite at customers where I have established logins that I need to use.

Microsoft now wants people to use their Microsoft account as a login. In fact, they make it such an in-your-face thing when you are setting up a computer that it's not that easy to set it up using a local login. It can be done, but if you didn't know that, you might not be aware of it. (This actually started in Win8)

After setting my Win10Pro machine up with a local account, I had to give OneDrive and the MS Store my MS account information so I could connect. This did not seem odd to me since I have had to do the same things on an iPad and Android phone, etc. But I have since found out that various interweb postings imply that unless you used a MS login on your computer, you couldn't use OneDrive or the store since they are linked to your login. Where the hell that notion came from I don't know, but I've seen it mentioned numerous times. Possibly it's just another case of people just repeating and misinterpreting MS marketing.

If this were just a personal computer and I didn't have other computers on my home network, I might never have given a thought to not using a MS account. As it stands right now, I know I can switch to using a MS account login because something caused me to be switched over at one point. It didn't change my user files and settings, it just change my login and it was simple to switch back.

So, the question is, are there any advantages/features I am missing out on using a local account? I can't seem to find any. There is the fact that Sync Settings doesn't work, but I don't have any other Win10 computers to sync with.

Another question is, if I do change to using a MS account, won't that screw up my established network logins (including my home network)?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Two more questions are "How much do I want to help Microsoft change Windows to a closed system where I can only obtain software via the Windows Store, i.e. by having and using a Microsoft Account?" and "How much do I trust Microsoft?".

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Two more questions are "How much do I want to help Microsoft change Windows to a closed system where I can only obtain software via the Windows Store, i.e. by having and using a Microsoft Account?" and "How much do I trust Microsoft?".
    And I thought I was cynical...
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm
    And I thought I was cynical...
    Moi?

Let's see what the next 18 months bring then re-visit the subject, shall we?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey, I'm one of those nuts who believe that this is all headed to a subscription based internet-centric version of Windows. Using a MS account for a login fits into that perfectly.

But for now, let's not go down that path.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm
    Hey, I'm one of those nuts who believe that this is all headed to a subscription based internet-centric version of Windows. Using a MS account for a login fits into that perfectly.

But for now, let's not go down that path.
    My apologies... I appear to have inadvertently hijacked your new thread. How about I delete my posts #2 and #4? If you then delete your posts #3 and #5 then the thread will be back to your original question, i.e. prior to me mucking it up. Sorry...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree, however, Google already has SO much of our information. The NSA forget about what they've collected from MS from Google, Apple, and everywhere else. The Terrorism bogeyman has made them ALL capitulate. So as long as we are going to use this Internet thing. We will be tracked, marketed to, and our privacy an illusion. Thinking you can "block it out" or "wall yourself off" (imho anyway) is a fantasy. That MS will use it to get profit from us at some point is a given. Personally, I don't cherish the idea of learning something as basic as an OS from scratch after all these years going from DOS (we were ALL younger then) to Windows. How many decades have we invested? Never mind us, I don't want to think about having to teach and troubleshoot for family and friends! Anyway, Mr. C has it right, lets not go there YET

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    My apologies... I appear to have inadvertently hijacked your new thread.
    Not at all. They are valid concerns.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joela44 View Post
    I agree, however, Google already has SO much of our information.
    Which really has nothing to do with the difference between local and MS account logins since you will still be registered and MS will track what it will either way.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    I have no need to sign in with a MS account. I setup 8/8.1/10 using a local account. Once setup, I created a local Standard user account, and that is the account I use almost exclusively. When UAC rears its head, I use the credentials for my local account in the Administrators group and carry on.

The only Apps I use on my desktop are Solitaire (not signed in, just local), News and Weather. News and Weather were already in Apps, so I didn't have to do anything to get them, and they run fine under a local account. My NAS is setup with a MS account, but the only time I sign in on my NAS is through RDC to restart after an update. It's completely accessible through my network in a signed out state.

In setting up OneDrive, it only requires a single sign in to set it up, and from then on it reconnects at sign in of my local account through the stored credentials, but the only thing my MS account is signed in to is OneDrive. My Windows phone uses a MS account because I haven't found a way around that; only a single user is allowed as far as I've been able to find.

I don't use Cortana except on my phone, and that's only to use voice dial. I don't search with Bing or Google; I use StartPage. StartPage is a front to Google; Google only sees StartPage searching, and StartPage strips out Google's tracking cookies and delivers anonymous search results to me. They don't store my ISP, either.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    I have no need to sign in with a MS account.
    Are you aware of any features you are missing out on because of this? Even ones you have no interest in?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    Are you aware of any features you are missing out on because of this? Even ones you have no interest in?
    I'm "missing out" on Cortana, but I have no interest in Cortana on my desktop or laptop. I use Cortana on my phone, but only for voice dial or occasionally set a reminder for something. If I want to search for something when I'm using my phone, I use StartPage instead, out of preference.

As for syncing my settings across devices, that's something for which I absolutely have no use. My laptop is targeted for my work, and I don't need anything from my desktop synced with my laptop or vice versa. My phone is primarily a phone with a decent camera, and a handy (for work) GPS. Skype holds no interest at all for me. And as previously stated, I can use OneDrive without signing in on my desktop or laptop with a MS account.

Since I can accomplish everything I want to accomplish using a local account (no "you must sign in with a MS account to use this feature"), I don't think I'm missing out on anything that I want or need. On the other hand, I rarely get targeted ads on web pages. On occasion I might see an ad in a page margin for something I've just bought on Amazon or Tiger Direct, which I find amusing. I see no purpose in clicking around "tilting at windmills" to find a bunch of things that I can't use without a MS account, but don't want to use in the first place.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

Rick Corbett (2016-08-14)

Thanks
    See http://www.digitalcitizen.life/shoul...unt-windows-10

for a good discussion of Local vs Microsoft Account.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    for a good discussion of Local vs Microsoft Account.
    That's one of the articles I read going into this, but it suffers from inaccurate information. Perhaps it's due to a misunderstanding on their part or perhaps Win10 is different from Win8, but the article states:
    The most obvious of the benefits in using a Microsoft account is the ability to download, install and restore modern apps from the Windows Store.
    That is simply not true. If you use a local account, you only need provide your MS account information to the store once and after that you use it just like normal.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware