Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    davidhk

Is this site reliable ?

Ever since Digital River closed down the Win7 ISO download site, I have not been able to find a site to download Win 7 Home Premium SP1 ISO.

The one from Microsoft is only for Retail product key versions. It will not accept OEM key.
    Mine is an OEM pre-installed key.

Today, I came across this site. I would like to know if the site is trustworthy.

Thank you.

Adding : I do have a set of Recovery disks ( they call them Factory Default disks ), but they are pre- SP1.
    I am looking for one with SP1 included.
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-08-13 at 15:16.

Thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you asked your original supplier to send you an updated recovery disk? They may be able and willing to do so.

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by Tandor View Post
    Have you asked your original supplier to send you an updated recovery disk? They may be able and willing to do so.

It is an Acer Aspire 7741Z model.

No I did not contact Acer.
    I did not know Recovery disks can have "updated" version.
    I thought all recovery disks are to restore back to factory state.

Mine is a 4-disk Factory Default set which I created when I bought the laptop.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would stay far away from "those guys"!
    Buy what you need. Don't be tempted by the dark side.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    ...I have not been able to find a site to download Win 7 Home Premium SP1 ISO...
    Ask around family/friends/neighbours. Someone you know is likely to have a Win7 HP SP1 OEM DVD you could copy.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk
    Ever since Digital River closed down the Win7 ISO download site, I have not been able to find a site to download Win 7 Home Premium SP1 ISO.

The one from Microsoft is only for Retail product key versions. It will not accept OEM key.
    Adding : I do have a set of Recovery disks ( they call them Factory Default disks ), but they are pre- SP1.
    I am looking for one with SP1 included.
    You're asking for apples but actually want pears. The ISO's that were available from Digital River were all retail. (Win 7 Home Premium SP1 was X17-24208.iso for the 32-bit version and X17-24209.iso for the 64-bit version.)

You need an Acer OEM disc that recognises the Acer BIOS 'tattoo', i.e. activates automatically. IMO you should never need to enter a product key if you are using the right disk.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    ...You need an Acer OEM disc that recognises the Acer BIOS 'tattoo', i.e. activates automatically. IMO you should never need to enter a product key if you are using the right disk.
    Rick, "the Acer BIOS 'tattoo', i.e. activates automatically" doesn't apply to Win7. That wasn't introduced until Win8 and then only with UEFI (not BIOS).
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin
    Rick, "the Acer BIOS 'tattoo', i.e. activates automatically" doesn't apply to Win7. That wasn't introduced until Win8 and then only with UEFI (not BIOS).
    Hi Coochin,

Perhaps 'tattoo' was the wrong description. I didn't mean the embedded product key used from Win 8 as an alternative to the COA. I meant SLP used for Vista and Win 7. I have a collection of OEM-badged Vista and Win 7 OS disks from different manufacturers, all of which activate automatically if used on devices from the manufacturer of both device and OEM OS disk.

I can't find an Acer one quickly (if I remember correctly they were a yukky green colour) but here's a scan of an HP one I have that will activate automatically if used in most if not all Win 7-era HP devices.... all I have to do is add the correct hardware drivers after installation.
    hp-oem-dvd.png

How SLP and SLIC works
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-08-14 at 15:53.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How's about going to Microsoft for Microsoft software? Try this one;
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...nload/windows7
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

13. The Following User Says Thank You to eikelein For This Useful Post:

Coochin (2016-08-14)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eikelein View Post
    Entered OEM keys for Win7 Pro and Home Premium on that webpage and in each case could choose to download 32bit or 64bit ISOs.

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by eikelein View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Entered OEM keys for Win7 Pro and Home Premium on that webpage and in each case could choose to download 32bit or 64bit ISOs.

I am afraid you 2 members has not read my post thoroughly.
    excerpt from my post #1:

.................................................. .....

In other word, it won't let me download the iso file because I do not have the Retail product key.

Have you folks tried entering your pre-installed OEM key using that link ?

Have a look at the result of entering my pre-installed OEM Win 7 Home premium product key:

Win 7 key..... error.jpg
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-08-14 at 23:07.

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    You're asking for apples but actually want pears. The ISO's that were available from Digital River were all retail. (Win 7 Home Premium SP1 was X17-24208.iso for the 32-bit version and X17-24209.iso for the 64-bit version.)

You need an Acer OEM disc that recognises the Acer BIOS 'tattoo', i.e. activates automatically. IMO you should never need to enter a product key if you are using the right disk.
    Pardon my contradiction.

The Digital River site in the past was not just for Retail version.
    It was simply a collections of Win 7 ISO SP1 files. Those files were not restricted to Retail version product keys.
    I could have downloaded it and used my pre-installed OEM product key for installation/activation.
    I had advised a few people to do the same and it was successful.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    ...The one from Microsoft is only for Retail product key versions. It will not accept OEM key.
    Mine is an OEM pre-installed key...In other word, it won't let me download the iso file because I do not have the Retail product key.

Have you folks tried entering your pre-installed OEM key using that link ?...
    Please refer to my #11 post (which I posted AFTER I checked that the link in eikelein's #10 post would allow me to download the OEM ISOs).

Have since checked again:

Win7ISO.jpg

Win7ISO_1.jpg

You must be doing something wrong. And I did read and understand your #1 post thoroughly.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk
    Pardon my contradiction.

The Digital River site in the past was not just for Retail version.
    It was simply a collections of Win 7 ISO SP1 files. Those files were not restricted to Retail version product keys.
    I could have downloaded it and used my pre-installed OEM product key for installation/activation.
    I had advised a few people to do the same and it was successful.
    My apologies, you're right. 'Retail' wasn't the right word to describe the Digital River downloads. I don't think I actually know the right description. 'Online activation required' version? 'Product key required' version? Non-OEM?

I have all the Win 7 ISO's from Digital River (and the text file describing them which says they can be used for 30 days before a licence is required). I've just checked the Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 x64 ISO file (X17-24209.iso) and the disk structure is completely different to an OEM version.

The OEM version I've just checked includes an SLP certificate (as .\sources\$OEM$\$$\system32\OEM\oem-cert.xrm-ms) used to activate the installation automatically without going online (if the certificate matches the SLP code in the BIOS).

The ISO from Digital River obviously doesn't have this. Instead it just has a collection of RTF files (e.g. .\sources\license\_default\oem\homepremium\license .rtf) describing the licensing terms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast