Thanks

If you ever need to recover your product key for Windows itself...

Try this:

Code:
    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
    Const KeyOffset = 52
    i = 28
    Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
    Do
    Cur = 0
    x = 14
    Do
    Cur = Cur * 256
    Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
    Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
    Cur = Cur Mod 24
    x = x -1
    Loop While x >= 0
    i = i -1
    KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
    If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
    i = i -1
    KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
    End If
    Loop While i >= 0
    ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
    End Function
    Either copy/paste this to Notepad and save as something like windows-product-key.vbs or download the attachment and rename the .TXT file to windows-product-key.vbs.

Thanks to How to find all windows version serial key.

Hope this helps...
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

lumpy95 (2016-08-14)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Or how's about just using Nir Sofer's utility PRODUKEY from http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html ?

Proven for many, many years, guaranteed to be free of any nasties and, hey, free as in free beer.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Thanks
    How about one for Office versions after 2007?

Thanks
    Last week I worked on a customer's Acer all-in-one Win7 PC that had a dead motherboard, but the HDD was OK. I connected the HDD to one of my workbench PCs and copied the registry hive across then used ProduKey to extract the Win7 key.

I then installed Win7 on a spare HDD connected to a PC that will probably be the replacement for the Acer all-in-one. Win7 setup accepted the Win7 key when I entered it, and setup continued to completion. But when I attempted to activate online the activation server returned "The product key you entered is not eligible for activation".

This is because the OEMs generally use a special generic product key to install Windows on a computer in a production run then image that installation to the other computers in that production run.

Have had the same thing happen several times in the past when the COA sticker on the computer's case was missing or unreadable.

So if you have a pre-Win8 OEM computer that has a COA sticker it would be a very good idea to keep a separate record of the licence key on the COA sticker.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    @eikelein: Have you ever tried to activate a product using a key "found" by PRODUKEY? The Product Keys and the Product IDs generated by PRODUKEY for my products are totally different from the legally purchased IDs and Product Keys provided with and used to activate my purchased products (Windows 8.1, Office 2013 Pro, Project 2013 Pro and Visio 2013 Pro) I have since upgraded to Windows 10 "free" which is activated with a "digital licence".

Interestingly, BELARC also generates the same incorrect Product Keys for my products as PRODUKEY. Go figure!!
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Belarc Advisor tends to give the vendor's generic 5x5 key for an OEM machine, just as the free version of Speccy does, but where you have a COA sticker key, go Start - type Slui 3 - press enter and enter the COA sticker key which will then activate.

With Win 7, this may help to activate a repair install when using a Win 7 SP1 ISO like you could once get from Digital River.

This also produces a link in Computer/Properties to change the product key on an OEM machine that isn't otherwise normally there.

Speccy will then show that change of key - don't know about Belarc as I no longer have it installed, but Speccy will now display the new Win 10 key that was assigned after an upgrade which you may also want to make a hard copy of.

Thanks
    @Sudo15: Interesting, thanks (I don't have an OEM machine, mine is custom-built).
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petesmst View Post
    @Sudo15: Interesting, thanks (I don't have an OEM machine, mine is custom-built).
    You're welcome but the info may be of help to those of us who aren't tech guys who just run OEM machines

Thanks
    @Sudo15: Agreed, thanks!