Thanks

Activate Windows' hidden master admin account.

Fred Langa's article, published in the May 14 2015 Newsletter, referred to only Windows 8, 7, and Vista.

I thought I would try it in 10. The first method, Point and click, doesn't work - the system telling me that the instruction doesn't work in 10.

Using the second method, command line, seems to be partially successful and administrator account now appears on the start screen, along with my normal one.

In the new Administrator account,clicking on the task bar's Edge icon throws up the message "Microsoft Edge can't be opened using the built-in Administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again."

Does that mean the command line is incorrect for Windows 10, or is it another fault in the OS?

If the former, how can I access the hidden Admin account? Assuming there is one.
    Equal rights for equal responsibilities.
    Equal opportunities for equal abilities.

davidhk
    It is by design, for security reason, that the Built-in Admin Account will not run Windows apps.
    Bear in mind that it is NOT a good idea to employ the Built-in Admin for daily chores.

I would suggest you heed the message and use the user/admin account you created for yourself.

There is registry editing to circumvent that.
    Since it involves the Built-in Admin, I am not willing to go any further than that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davidhk View Post
    Since it involves the Built-in Admin, I am not willing to go any further than that.
    Never mind, I'm sure that there's someone who will not be so coy.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Davidhk is right - add a new Admin or local account and use that. Leave the built in one for emergencies only.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GlennT View Post
    Leave the built in one for emergencies only.
    Yes, I understand the reasons for all the dire warnings, but I can't use the built-in Admin account if I don't know how to enable it.

As I said, I'm sure that another contributor will will reveal the apparently closely guarded secret.

Thanks
    WindowsClub contains an Ultimate Windows Tweaker 3 and 4, 4 especially designed for Windows 10. I recommend downloading, installing, running UWT3, or 4. for W10.
    Once inside of the menu board, find and activate the Administrator account.
    Once activated, restart. If you can get into that built-in account, set up a password that you will write down into a locked up log book.
    I have my built-in account active because it has been necessary once or twice yearly to use to clear a log-jam that can be cleared no other way. I do not use it even on a monthly basis.

** Note: unless you are very experienced in the operations of Windows Prime: I recommend not doing anything else within UWT3. Leave those settings be.
    ** Note: ditto, I recommend staying out of the built-in admin acct, unless/until it is needed for a specific fix-something purpose.

Each of my three computers have two weekly to bi-monthly full OS and data partition images, on each of two dedicated trusted usb external HDs per computer. If you are doing likewise -- you and I are a little closer to the man who built his house upon the rock and not upon the shifting sands of...Oh No! HolyMoly! No backup/no restore! [que 2012 movie] I'm a dead man!
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-08-17 at 20:21.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RolandJS For This Useful Post:

Syncopator (2016-08-17)

Thanks
    Thank you Roland.

I had a previous version, UWT3, installed. I used only to remove arrows from shortcuts.
    That's now uninstalled and has been replaced by version 4.

I chose to enable the Administrator account and rebooted. I don't see how to access it. The two accounts at startup are my normal user account and the Admin account I created as I mentioned in my first post. I don't think that is the same thing and I see no method of giving it a password.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Your built-in Administrator account is active
    The "Microsoft Edge can't be opened using the built-in Administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again." Is normal.
    Now you need to know how to access your built-in Administrator account as requested.
    EDIT: But now it needs to be allowed to be set up.

Administrator account.PNG
    Last edited by cmptrgy; 2016-08-17 at 16:40.

Thanks
    I have Classic Shell installed. My user name doesn't appear anywhere in the Start menu.

Thanks
    While I recommend removing "shortcut" from shortcut icons, I do not recommend removing arrows from shortcut icons -- you might accidentally copy or move or delete an actual EXE or ZIP or something instead of the shortcut icon you had in mind.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    While I recommend removing "shortcut" from shortcut icons, I do not recommend removing arrows from shortcut icons -- you might accidentally copy or move or delete an actual EXE or ZIP or something instead of the shortcut icon you had in mind.
    I will bear that in mind, thank you.