2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot control my Windows network

I remain unable to deal with Windows permissions. Sometimes I can transfer files from one computer to another (3 computers, all running Win 10 Pro) but success is random. I spent an hour trying to copy some music files from one computer to another one, but Windows responded: "You do not have permission to access _____. Contact your network administrator to request access." There is a blue link to MS below this message that promises some kind of help, but when I click it, I get a web page with nothing on it that relates to the permission to access issue.

How do I deal with this? I built all three computers and am the sole user of them. I have set "share" on the computer that denies me access. It is set to share with everyone. I checked permissions and have it set to allow full access to everyone. What am I missing? I am constantly encountering responses from Windows that I do not have permission to access this or that file. Is there any way around this? I assume I am signed in as administrator, but I don't know how to check it. I simply want full control of my three computers and want to be able to move files freely between them.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    This thread, http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post600689, is very old but the second post has some troubleshooting information that is still valid.
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If those steps in Joe's link don't do it then run the Permissions repairs in Windows Repair from www.tweaking.com

Does Event Viewer have anything more specific for the fails ?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As they are all W10 you could start again with a home group. I had to resort to a home group to persuade Windows to network.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    ...I had to resort to a home group to persuade Windows to network...
    I had a few problems in a couple of past builds getting Win10 to network using workgroup but managed to sort them out fairly easily.

But after the latest IP build 14901.1000 networking was badly broken. See "IP Build 14901.1000 Networking Hassle" at: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1064247
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to each of you for the help. I have read all of the replies and printed out some of the procedures. Now, I am off to see if I can fix the network.