iNET Interactive
    Thanks

More reports of problems updating to Win10 1607

Field Notes

More reports of problems updating to Win10 1607

By Tracey Capen

The move to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is confusing and still problematic for some.

Also: Watch out for a limited roll-back window with Win10 1607, and XP users lose support for a popular cloud-storage service.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/more-reports-of-problems-updating-to-win10-1607/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Problem with Windows 10 AU

I have a new Surface Pro 4 that is only 3 months old. I got the update notice in WU for 1607 and it installed without any problem. But a few days later I lost the use of my sound card for unknown reasons. I researched the problem and found a remedy to uninstall the driver and re-boot the system. That fixed it but I don't know what caused it in the first place. I was not doing anything unusual on the computer and it just mysteriously stopped working, notably by Cortana not coming up.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I purchased a new Dell laptop in August that was installed with Windows 10. The first time I went to Windows Update the AU was available to download, and I ran the update and all is well.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If I query available updates in WU, it lists the AU as available. It has not, however, been automatically pushed to my computer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I notice that you are supporting the use of Chrome as a browser.
    When I moved to Windows 7 about three years ago I installed Outlook Office as an email client.
    I then installed Chrome following the good reviews, only to find that it trashed my installation of outlook by changing all my folders and listing emails separately outside of defined folders! More importantly I found that I could no longer view any HTML web link in the viewing pane.
    SO, I uninstalled it, with difficulty and had to make several changes to the registry to get back the functionality I wanted.

For this reason I will not be using Chrome with my present set up.

Lounger
    Thanks
    As a fast ring insider, I had no trouble with 1607, but I am also on build 14901. The command on Powershell worked fine, so maybe they have fixed it with this latest build. Thanks for watching out for us!!!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I blocked the 'upgrade' from Windows 7 to 10 on three machines and I am now so glad. However, I bought a new high spec machine for photo editing (me) and games under Steam (my son). It came with Windows 10 and a trial for Bullguard - at least it wasn't McAffee. So, the only real crapware was in Windows 10. It took me about an hour to uninstall every app capable of being uninstalled, locking down every potential privacy option and installing Classic Shell so that it looked and worked like a desktop.

Thus crippled to my satisfaction I quite liked my modded Windows 10. But then the anniversary update decided to suddenly reboot half way through a game my son was playing. I am still fuming 3 days later. All restore points lost, at least one Steam game broken, Classic Shell uninstalled, configuration changed and useless crud installed. At this point I looked no further for other possible faults but rolled back to the previous build, turned off virtually everything, re-installed Classic Shell and everything I wanted was working again. But this is clearly only temporary as Microsoft seem hellbent on invading my privacy and taking over my machine.

I have so completely lost trust in Microsoft's (anti-customer) strategy with Windows 10 that I have disabled the Windows update service and will rely on Avast, EMET and disk images alone for security - at least for now. Unless Microsoft changes course I am considering uninstalling Windows 10 in favour of an upgrade to 7 Pro if I can get a genuine copy. I would move to Linux now if it were not for the fact that a lot of games still haven't been ported over to Linux.

I am also involved with a small non-profit business running software under Windows 7. Our main software can only run under Windows so we can't shift to Linux. However, if Microsoft continues with its enforced updates and installation of 'great new features' we don't want, we will have to factor this into our business plan as a risk to the business when support for Windows 7 expires.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've not been offered AU on either of my Win10 machines. However, I have a cautionary re: Win10 Updates.

I was reading an ebook on my hybrid tablet recently. When I finished for the evening, I shut down, only to discover too late that Windows Update was running without notice. (it was after the hours I'd set to avoid this) It didn't stop but shut down in what I later found out was the 1511 cumulative update.

The update would no longer install so I researched how to fix the issue. I went through a series of tries to restore or otherwise fix things. Should have just done an image restore but thought I could just fix the problem. One old fix was to rename the catroot file to reset updates. Do NOT try this on Win10. It rendered the machine unbootable. Working through the available options, Repair wouldn't work as it said I had the wrong version (confused during the failed update?), another try said it needed massive drive space. I finally had to run a Restore, keeping files intact.

This means I have have to reinstall all the apps and go over all the annoying defaults again. As Windows is now up again, I may do an image restore although this means running the updates again.

All of this because of no notice or choice of when to update. Stupid.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've just gone through a factory reset back to Win 10 with a reinstall of 10586 after manually installing the AU because I had no end of problems with IE.

Last night my browsing was really sluggish with getting the busy whenever I tried for a website or navigating through the forum.

I reset IE to defaults, reset winsock and the TCP/IP stack would would improve things for a short while and then back to crap.

With having just reinstalled Win 10 I decided to see if there were any updates.

Quite a few were waiting to install but it was having problems with KB3176493 so a couple of restarts, a power shutdown and restart sorted that out but when I had a look at the update history there were a rake of failures for that KB before it finally had a successful install.

So it looks like I was pulling my hair out for nothing with the browser problem - just can't understand why it must have been close to or maxing out the CPU which would have been the cause of my browser problems, although I hadn't checked that, but lesson learned - in future, either updates or Task Manager will be my first port of call in trouble shooting any reoccurrence of browser problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Major problems

Since I didn't want the update forced on me when I didn't want it, I decided to to do it manually. Sat through the hour of downloads and updates, then 20% of the way through applying the update it failed, with a cryptic"unable to proceed, reverting to your original installation". I couldn't find any log files, or even any evidence it had even attempted to do the update, but discovered that the reverted state was highly unstable, crashing every few minutes. I decided to try again with the AV uninstalled rather than just disabled in case that made a difference. It did - this time it failed in the same place, but hosed the boot records on my disk leaving the system unbootable.
    I repaired this, and my old install booted and run, but still with the instability. I figured at this point I had 3 options; revert to a backup image, repair the installation, or do a clean install. Reverting to a backup seemed to just put the problem off, given I had originally upgraded a Win 7 installation repair didn't seem to offer enough benefit over a clean install to make it worthwhile, so I did a clean install. This went fairly well, but left me with a number of problems. I connect to an SBS server with a self generated certificate, but nothing I do now will get the system to accept the cert - install at prompt, install through certmgr, install in trusted root, whatever I do it says installed, shows it there, then complains as soon as I visit it.
    This is just an irritation, but most importantly I can't connect Outlook 2013 to Exchange any more - possibly because of the certificate problem, or possibly because there seems to be some issue with the credentials store - I keep getting prompted for my NAS password even though that is saved, and when I try to get Outlook configured it keeps prompting for my password although I am using the correct password (checked with web access after all the invalid certificate prompts).
    All in all, the anniversary update seems a bit flakey, certainly compared to the original Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade which I was expecting glitches with but worked beautifully. The one area you really don't want issues with is security!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "If you’ve received Version 1607 in WU, let us know, using the Windows Secrets forum link at the bottom of the column."

I have a fairly new Dell Inspiron 15 laptop that came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit installed. I received Win10 AU via WU on 8/10/2016 and it installed and is running with no problems at all. Painless. Now if my older Dell desktop that I upgraded from W7Pro to W10Pro in December and my Dell Venue 8 tablet that I upgraded to W10 Home from Win8.1 on the last day of the free offer go as well.....fingers crossed but I'm not holding my breath ;-)