Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Transfer W10 to upgraded PC

I have W10 from the free download running on an elderly Dell Dimension PC. I was impressed by how smoothly the upgrade from W7 went - one curious thing was it picked up I was UK, but didn't change to the UK date format; this caused a spreadsheet using date comparisons to fail to work properly, with the resulting 24 hour head-scratching as to why !!

At some point I must update the Dell - it's adequate but everything has an age limit ! I will buy a barebones system and move the two HD's over. What will happen ? And if nothing does happen, how do I overcome it?

Rob

Thanks
    If you have a retail copy of Windows, you can reinstall it on the new machine. If you have an OEM copy, you cant. If you just transfer the existing HD with the OS on it, it probably won't work because it will have drivers for the old motherboard installed which are unlikely to be usable by the new one.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It won't activate either because of the different digital fingerprint of the new motherboard to the older machine.

The free upgrade took the qualifying license key of the original system and then issued a new Win 10 one.

You may just sneak in with the free upgrade if you bought a new machine now as MS have extended the deadline for those using Assistive Technologies without checking to see if the applicant actually qualifies.

You can try that with the Upgrade Now button on https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/acce...ndows10upgrade but MS haven't said how long that will be available for - as far as I know.

Thanks
    Windows may boot and install the drivers for the new motherboard, it did in my case with new mobo/processor/RAM, however it will almost certainly fail activation.

How you proceed at this point is determined by your license type, OEM or Retail.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    If you have a retail copy of Windows, you can reinstall it on the new machine. If you have an OEM copy, you cant...
    Nonsense. There is no difference between "Retail" and "OEM" when moving (AKA "transferring") from one machine to a different machine provided that copy of Windows is no longer used on the original machine.

Too many times I have done exactly that w/ both retail and OEM versions of Windows, most often when a new motherboard was installed after motherboard failure, but sometimes when the customer simply wanted to upgrade to newer hardware.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

ruosChalet (2016-08-29)

Thanks
    It's not nonsense.

See section 4 here.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    It's not nonsense.

See section 4...
    Please re-read section 4, and take some time to understand what it really says then respond if you still misunderstand.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Perhaps Browni should have used the same terminology as Microsoft does. Usually, when people say OEM they mean Windows pre-installed on a PC when the machine was purchased. That appears to be the case stated by the OP. If it is the case then the copy of Windows 10 on the Dell PC may not legally be used on the new PC. Windows 10 may work but it is NOT legal.
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Perhaps Browni should have used the same terminology as Microsoft does. Usually, when people say OEM they mean Windows pre-installed on a PC when the machine was purchased. That appears to be the case stated by the OP. If it is the case then the copy of Windows 10 on the Dell PC may not legally be used on the new PC. Windows 10 may work but it is NOT legal.
    Sorry Joe, but the MS EULA clearly states that it is OK to move a Windows installation (whether retail or OEM) provided that the Windows installation on the "source" device is no longer in use.

In-other-words the EULA specifies that you may use your copy of Windows on one device at any one time.

Administrator
    Thanks
    There is a difference between Windows which was pre-installed on the machine (or upgraded from a pre-installed version) when the machine was purchased and Windows which was acquired separately from the machine (or upgraded from a separately installed version).

Note the difference in section 4 of the linked license terms. Pre-installed OEM software has NEVER been legally transferable to another machine.
    Joe

Thanks
    Section 4 refers to two different categories of software - 'Software preinstalled on device' and 'Stand-alone software'. The former has to stay with the device ("you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device"), the latter can be moved to another device but has to be removed from the from the original device. I assume that the former is OEM, the latter is retail. Or have I missed something?
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Section 4 refers to two different categories of software - 'Software preinstalled on device' and 'Stand-alone software'. The former has to stay with the device ("you may transfer the license to use the software directly to another user, only with the licensed device"), the latter can be moved to another device but has to be removed from the from the original device. I assume that the former is OEM, the latter is retail. Or have I missed something?
    Come on guys - try reading my original post- "..W10 .. free download ...". So it's not OEM and neither was W7 before it. Try reading before you put your fingers on the keyboard !!

The way I am reading section 4b is that I am running a 'stand-alone' licensed version (it even covers the upgrade situation) and that it is legal to move it, particularly as I will be moving the HD across that contains W10.

So the legal question is out of the way - but what about the technical side?

Rob

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by oldwood View Post
    Come on guys - try reading my original post- "..W10 .. free download ...". So it's not OEM and neither was W7 before it. Try reading before you put your fingers on the keyboard !!

The way I am reading section 4b is that I am running a 'stand-alone' licensed version (it even covers the upgrade situation) and that it is legal to move it, particularly as I will be moving the HD across that contains W10.

So the legal question is out of the way - but what about the technical side?

Rob
    You never stated that Win7 was NOT pre-installed. It is natural to assume it was pre-installed with a Dell PC. If Win7 was an upgrade from a prior OS that was pre-installed on the PC it still counts as pre-installed as does Win10 in that case.

Just because Win10 was the free upgrade does not mean it is free from the pre-installed OS limits. It all goes back to the original OS on the PC. Was it pre-installed or stand alone?
    Joe

Thanks
    To end any more speculation, see the instructions at http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...il-volume.html

to determine whether you have a retail or OEM license.

Jerry

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That's strange - This originally was a Toshiba Win 7 OEM machine but I recently had the mobo replaced by PC World.

It had belonged to one of my sons and daughter in law but went dead a couple of years back with a diagnosis of possible mobo failure.

I took it over with the intention of having it repaired and upgraded to Win 10 and had PC World Fault & Fix which resulted in the mobo being replaced.

It came back with their log ins still showing on the screen and while it had the same make & model of mobo fitted, a factory reset resulted in its Part and Serial Nos being changed to that of another model.

That was easily put right in Toshiba Tempro but in Win 10, msinfo32 still gives it as this other Part No.

In its Win 7 factory reset state, msinfo32 doesn't list the Pt No for some reason.

Now when I ran that cmd, it reports as Retail with the partial key not bearing any relation to the COA sticker key or the new Win 10 key.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast