New Lounger
    Thanks

An Old Problem from last years posts resurfaced in Win 10 AU

There is a thread from 2015 where an error popped up during a Win 10 update " You Can't install Windows 10 on a USB flash drive using Setup".

I did find the Anniversary Update available when I checked for Updates with my Dell XPS 8700, and all seemed to go well with the downloading, verification, etc. of the"Windows10upgrade2804.exe file, but when it went to install, it gave me the above error. Googling that error took me to this: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d488c63?auth=1 . I have no idea why the USB error code came up, as I have no USB flash or external hard drives plugged in, but it did come up. The solution was to make a change to the registry from a value of 0 to a value of 1, but when I checked my registry, that DWORD for portable operating system, it was already 1, so I changed it to 0, rebooted, and it got rid of that error. After that, the installation went well, and I seem to have no problems yet on this PC at all with the upgrade. I copied the windows10upgrade2804.exe to my wife's old HP s5716f, and it installed flawlessly to it. I did check the registry on the HP first, and there was no DWORD portable operating system in her registry.

In any case, I thought it would be of value to some peope here that the USB error I got has an (old) fix, in case you get it too.

Bob

davidhk
    quote .... "The solution was to make a change to the registry from a value of 0 to a value of 1, but when I checked my registry, that DWORD for portable operating system, it was already 1, so I changed it to 0, rebooted, and it got rid of that error."..... end quote

You read the instruction wrong.
    It asked you to change the value FROM 1 to 0, not from 0 to 1.

You did it right anyway.
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-08-16 at 15:47.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to davidhk For This Useful Post:

BobL2743 (2016-08-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If it worked, I guess I did do it right, but I can't take any credit for coming up with that fix anyway, lol.

So, thinking maybe I'm dyslexic, I copied and pasted the instructions from that link here:
    (it actually says both)
    "Had the same problem and found this from google.
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-ca...ng-windows-8-1.
    The second method is what fixed it for me.
    2] The other fix few users reported as being helpful, was to change a registry value. Please be careful while working in the registry. Make sure you create a backup of Registry before you proceed.
    From the Desktop screen press Win + R
    Type in Regedit
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l
    Change the value PortableOperatingSystem to “0” from 1.
    Once you change the registry value please reboot the system and try to update again from Windows Store.
    27 people found this helpful
    ImageHelpful
    Reply Report abuse Image
    All replies (21)
    GEGeorgeOgnibeni replied on August 3, 2015See post history
    That did not work. My registry has the entry
    PortableOperatingSystem REG_DWORD 0x00000001 (1)
    Should I simply delete the "(1)" ?
    The O/S is totally legit, bought from Microsoft when Win 8 first came out and updated to Win 8.1 - Microsoft Support have worked with it (remotely) and they would have noticed anything pirated (I guess).
    Anyone have any good ideas, please?
    3 people found this helpful
    ImageHelpful
    Reply Report abuse Image
    JLjlasalle replied on August 3, 2015See post history
    ReplyIn reply to GeorgeOgnibeni's post on August 3, 2015
    You need to change the 1 to 0
    Change the value PortableOperatingSystem to “0” from 1

davidhk
    The instruction asks you to change the value from 1 to 0.

You said " but when I checked my registry, that DWORD for portable operating system, it was already 1."

THAT is why the instruction asks you to change the value to 0 in order to fix the problem.

You did that, and the error was gone.

I hope I have made it clear this time.
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-08-17 at 00:37.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again David

davidhk
    You are welcome.

Happy computing.