Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    davidhk

About : slmgr -dli

I am starting a new thread because I do not want to hi-jack the OP's thread.

slmgr -dli command on an elevated command prompt is supposed to determine the license type of the Windows operating system, Retail, OEM or Volume Licensing.

My laptop A........ pre-installed with Windows 7 Home Premium > upgraded to Win 10 Home RTM 14393.51

My laptop B........ pre-installed with Vista > upgraded to Win 8 Pro with a Retail upgrade software > Win 8.1 Pro > Win 10 Pro Insider Preview 14901

When I ran the command line, both laptops showed me Retail type.

Laptop A :
    slmgr -dli ..... Core edition.jpg

Laptop B :
    slmgr -dli....... Pro edition.jpg

Since they are both Retail type, does that mean I can install them to a DIFFERENT computer AFTER I have uninstalled them from the original laptops ? I have ISO DVDs for both editions.

That would be contradictory to what I understand.
    My understanding is : both my Win 10 Home and Pro can only be re-installed to the same computer they started with.

Meaning I can only reinstall Win 10 Home in laptop A, and Win 10 Pro Insider in laptop B.
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-08-16 at 17:35.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've just posted the same result for that cmd on an OEM machine in the original thread, but only as an observation.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Original thread??

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Original thread??
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...to-upgraded-PC

Thanks
    As you point out Sudo, My HP ProBook started as W7 Pro ( which would be OEM ) and upgraded to W10 Pro. When I check slmgr -dli it shows as Retail channel not OEM so I assume that all these upgrades to W10 are retail and no longer OEM, is that correct or am I misinterpreting?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Has Microsoft redefined "Retail" and "OEM", perhaps?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    As you point out Sudo, My HP ProBook started as W7 Pro ( which would be OEM ) and upgraded to W10 Pro. When I check slmgr -dli it shows as Retail channel not OEM so I assume that all these upgrades to W10 are retail and no longer OEM, is that correct or am I misinterpreting?
    I just don't know but it would be interesting to find out if someone cloned an upgraded machine and stuck it on a machine that hadn't been upgraded to see what messages you might get regarding activation.

Perhaps the key Speccy displays may be needed ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I just don't know but it would be interesting to find out if someone cloned an upgraded machine and stuck it on a machine that hadn't been upgraded to see what messages you might get regarding activation.

Perhaps the key Speccy displays may be needed ?
    I believe it would report problems activating, then you go to troubleshoot, and fix it. Then it would activate.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Sudo. "someone cloned an upgraded machine ".

Well, well, familiar grounds. Here in the boonies, I do not have all my normal tools so I resort to cloning m y three machines. I have not done the .sli yet so I can not tell what it is. But here is a funny: the previous .txt to see the license keys, will return the very same keys on all three machines. I will go and type the .sli soon and get back here.

Back on topic, here is what I get, as all others. It shows a key that is not shown by the above noted app, that small .txt.

.dli.jpg

Have a great day. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2016-08-25 at 08:34. Reason: .dli

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Jean,

I've noticed this also with my PCInfo program. My two Win10 Pro installs return the same key and my two Win10 Home installs return the same key though different that the Win10 Pro installs!

So maybe this Digital License thing MS has installed has made the License Key obsolete?

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Jean,

I've noticed this also with my PCInfo program. My two Win10 Pro installs return the same key and my two Win10 Home installs return the same key though different that the Win10 Pro installs!

So maybe this Digital License thing MS has installed has made the License Key obsolete?

HTH
    I think so, my machines all show the same key, both Pro and Home and both 32-bit and 64-bit on 4 Desktops and 4 Notebooks [doing the 5th now and 2 more to go]. Showkey does give the original key used used on mine for the qualifying products for the Free Upgrade from Win7 w/SP1 and Win8.1 to Win10. I've had only one problem in the Uprade from Version 1511 to Version 1607 in changing from Home to Pro, reverted to 1511 and tried again, got it right.

Thanks
    The "Partial Product Key: 3V66T" corresponds to the first Windows 10 Beta. I get a different key on both my NAS and my desktop. I haven't booted into the other side of the desktop and checked that, but I'll do that next.

>>>edit - I'm in the other side, which is the upgrade from 8.1, and the key here is 3V66T. This is also where I first installed the Beta. My NAS is upgraded with the release version of Windows 10 from 7 Pro, and the other side of my desktop is upgraded with the release version of 10 from 7 Ultimate. - <<</edit
    Last edited by bbearren; 2016-08-25 at 17:11. Reason: additional info
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Hey Y'all,

On my Win 10 Pro machines (one is Insider from Win 7 HP, the other upgrade after RTM from Win 8.1 Pro) both report the same number with HCFC6 as the last set.

On my Win 10 Home machines (one upgraded from Win 7 HP the other Win 8.1) they bot report MY47H as the last set.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Not completely. You can see where product keys are used here.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

RetiredGeek (2016-08-25)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    My Win 10 Home upgraded from Win 7 HP also shows MY47H

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast