New Lounger
    Thanks

cannot delete Users folder

My wife recently had a computer given to her. It is a 5 year old Toshiba running 64 bit Windows 7 SP 1. I set it up with her having an administrator account. However, the former owner still shows up in Windows Explorer under Users. I was able to remove the padlock using the instructions in another thread. I then tried to delete the folder. Several files were deleted. I also received an alert that some were system files, so I skipped those. After the deletion was complete the folder still appears in Explorer, but the properties show 0 bytes in the folder. What is the process for deleting this folder?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    What happens when you try to delete the folder in Explorer?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    What happens when you try to delete the folder in Explorer...
    -- in Safe Mode with your admin-level account?

You may have to bump owner's account from admin-level down to standard level before you can delete that account.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tjs View Post
    ...However, the former owner still shows up in Windows Explorer under Users. I was able to remove the padlock using the instructions in another thread. I then tried to delete the folder. Several files were deleted. I also received an alert that some were system files, so I skipped those. After the deletion was complete the folder still appears in Explorer, but the properties show 0 bytes in the folder...
    The correct method to remove a user account is to go to "Control Panel\User Accounts\Manage another account" then click on the account you want to remove then click "Next" (or "OK", or whatever). You will be asked if you want to delete the files for that user account; if you tick the checkbox to delete the files then click "Next" (or "OK", or whatever) the user account and all files/folders for that account will be gone.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Coochin, you're right as rain! I, and maybe Paul did too, missed the possibility that the end-user did not try the correct way. Or, the correct way was tried and for some reason did not entirely work.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2016-08-18 at 11:16.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I initially tried to delete the account as suggested by Coochin. The account did not appear in the User accounts. However, I was able to delete it in Safe Mode using the admin level account.

Thank you you all for help. It is appreciated.