Thanks

Windows update killed browsers ability to download files

I have four Internet browsers on a Windows 8.1 desktop system: Windows Internet Explorer 32-bit, Chrome 32-bit, Waterfox (64-bit version of Firefox), and Vivaldi (64-bit descendant of Chrome). My primary browser is Waterfox. Until this past weekend, all browsers were working normally.

Saturday morning I opened PC Settings, downloaded the Windows system updates, and installed them. That required a Windows restart.

After the restart, my ESET antivirus was only partially functioning. I have contacted ESET and am awaiting a response.

However, also after the reboot I could no longer download files (using Save as) from either Waterfox or Vivaldi. All other functions of both browsers worked normally. I can load pages, open links from pages and all else as usual. If I try to save or download a file, the browsers freeze, and I can only close them via the Task Manager.

Curiously this problem does not affect either 32-bit browser. I can download (Save as) files normally from either Internet Explorer or Chrome.

Why does this problem only affect my 64-bit browsers?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would suggest you uninstall each update in turn to see which one has caused the problem then when it is re-offered, right click on it and select Hide.

Thanks
    Thanks for your suggestion Sudo15. I wasn't sure I could selectively uninstall the updates, particularly the cumulative ones.

I also have a laptop that has been upgraded to Windows 10 and further updated to the latest version of Windows 10. Both ESET and Waterfox work normally on the laptop.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think it was a couple of years back that 3 or 4 updates took out my audio on a Win 7 laptop and I had to do the same to ID them.

If you have a restore point then go back to before their install and just install one at a time.

Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15,

On Saturday when I installed the Windows updates, there were 42 Security Updates for MS Office Enterprise 2007, 1 MS Office 2007 SP3, and 7 Windows Security Updates. I figured that most likely the MS Office updates were not going to be changing how 64-bit browsers work, so I started uninstalling the Security Updates. I lucked out. The first one I uninstalled restored Waterfox's full functionality. Curiously, it did not have any effect on Vivaldi. The second one I uninstalled fixed Vivaldi. I haven't fixed ESET yet, but that might take an uninstall/reinstall dance.

My question now is what do I do about the Security Updates I just uninstalled? Is there a way I can let Microsoft know about the conflicts? Should I reinstall the updates and hope that the versions I originally downloaded and installed were corrupt?

It's good to have my browsers fully functioning again. Thanks for your help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    You can open a support case with Microsoft. Problems related to Windows Update are supposed to be free.

If you can download the updates directly download and save them. Re-boot. Install one. Re-boot. See if the problem reappears. If it does uninstall the update again. Then try the other update in the same manner.

You may want to disable your ESET security while installing the updates.
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I contacted MS support when I had that problem and got a right dickhead.

When I told him what some WUs had done, his first response was no I it wasn't WUs, but 4 hours later he did exactly what I had done by uninstalling and hiding them.

Hailing that a great success - he wanted me to give him some Karma when I got the email - cheeky B !

But hope you have better luck with MS
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-08-17 at 12:41.

Thanks
    Thanks JoeP517. I'll give that a try, although in the past my experience with Microsoft support has been more akin to Sudo15's or worse, as in, "Uninstall Windows and reinstall it", when the problem is a minor tweak.

Presently neither of the updates I uninstalled are showing up as available in PC Settings > Update and Recovery. Only KB3177723, which was released after the updates I uninstalled, and I didn't write the uninstalled numbers down before I uninstalled them. Dang. I'll try downloading them as you suggest, but later. For today I'm going to catch up with project by using my restored browsers.

Sudo15 Made me "Laugh out loud LOL," to quote Monk.

Thanks
    For me, there is one critical setting in Windows Updates, that will totally prevent any problem, EVER, with Windows Updates. That is "Disabled".

I've gone along with some Service Packs, over the years, that were of great benefit, like SP3 for XP. And, SP1 for Windows 7.
    But for the monthly updates that come out of MS..... Forgetaboutit! They do more harm than good.
    And, just a few nights ago, I had to re-install Windows 7 on one of my PC's, and before I could stop it, Auto Update started a download of 229 updates. So I figured "Oh what the heck, let it finish". Well, when the download finished, my PC would no longer boot up.
    So I unplugged the LAN cable and did a complete RE-Install of Windows 7. Then I made dang sure that I had Auto Updates turned OFF, before I re-connected my LAN cable.
    Windows 7 is running beautifully, without any updates at all.

And when an OS is on it's last legs, like XP was, several years ago, MS Updates were trashing computers all over the place. That seems to be happening all over again, now, with Windows 7. I really like Windows 7, just the way it comes out of the box....it don't need no stinking updates.

I lost track of just how many service calls I got where the complaint was "I got a Windows update and now I can't boot up my PC!". So I'd answer the call, and once I got the PC working again, I'd "Disable" all MS Updates and then never have another problem.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2016-08-18 at 21:25.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    ...But for the monthly updates that come out of MS..... Forgetaboutit! They do more harm than good...
    What you have posted does not equate to my experience. I have installed all updates from WU each month and have had no problems w/ Winxp or Win Vista or Win7 or Win10 that could be traced to a WU patch.

I have been using Windows since 3.1 thru 95/98/98SE/skipped ME/XP/Vista/Win7/Win10.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho View Post
    ...And when an OS is on it's last legs, like XP was, several years ago, MS Updates were trashing computers all over the place...
    Really? Please give some real-world examples. AFAIK XP is still working for many users and will probably continue to work well into the future.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think it was an update a couple of years or less ago that stopped some from booting up and as I've already posted - some took out my audio.

Other than that instance I've never had any problems except the recent problem of actually getting them.

Updates aren't a one size fits all even if computers are using what would seem to be the same OS.