Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCLinuxOS

Lounger
    Thanks

PCLinuxOS

Is anyone out there using PCLinuxOS? Well, several newsletters ago, Tracey Capen wrote about Ubuntu Linux, which I have tried, among others. It is definitely a very good distro, but recently, I heard about PCLinux, so I decided to give it a try (why later). WOW, I can't believe how far Linux has come! I've tried a lot of distros, like Linux Mint, Puppy Linux, Mandriva, etc. (even Caldera), but PCL is hands down the most 'user friendly' distro I have ever used! No more trouble installing packages, updating software, or getting on the internet. If you are considering taking the plunge, this is the distro for you. You can choose between KDE, Full Monty, or Mate desktops. I like KDE because it's pretty much just like having Windows. There is a slight learning curve, but I am no Linux geek, and yet I succeeded in getting it up and running...

I just had to put in a good word for PCL, considering that it has turned out far better than I ever imagined it would. One final note: I messed up when I upgraded my Toshiba Satellite laptop to a solid state hard drive and lost Windows 10 (yes, I backed up first), so that's why I went with Linux. My laptop is screamin' fast now, compared to before. Linux + a SSHD is the "hot ticket"!

Sent from my Toshiba Satellite PCLinuxOS laptop

Thanks
    Just imagine how enthusiastic you would be if you'd never used Windows before!

PCLinuxOS is just one of a few Windows-alike Linux distributions; Zorin (Core) is another good one. Many people like Mint (Cinnamon).

One's mileage may vary...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Lounger
    Thanks

ZORIN rocks too!

Not really when you think about it; I would probably just take all that excellence for granted. (I remember how crappy American cars were too) It's the ease of configuration that got me hooked. And yes, Zorin is definitely worth trying too! I think I'll make a bootable CD right now...

Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Just imagine how enthusiastic you would be if you'd never used Windows before!

PCLinuxOS is just one of a few Windows-alike Linux distributions; Zorin (Core) is another good one. Many people like Mint (Cinnamon).

One's mileage may vary...

Thanks
    I'm beginning the thought process of eventually switching at least one of my computers to Linux. Currently I have W7 on two computers and W8.1 on one.

I figured I could wait a while; but with the intrusiveness of Microsoft in terms of (1) trying to force me onto W10, and (2) trying to force me off of W7, I'm thinking that the time for Linux may be sooner than I had originally planned.

On a related thought, I want to have an office package to use with Linux, so I recently downloaded a free trial of the current version of Word Perfect. After using it for a few minutes, I was reminded of why I liked Word Perfect so much back in the DOS days. It is a superior program, much better than Word in my opinion. I wondered if WP had a Linux version; unfortunately they don't. I'll have to use Wine or some other Windows emulator if I want to use WP with Linux.

Then there's the need for malware protection. I have no idea what is out there for Linux.

Oh well; time to start looking...

Lounger
    Thanks
    I keep W10 on my desktop computer (using Classic Shell's Classic Start Menu) because of all the Windows stuff that's already on it, but Linux + Wine is certainly a good choice too. I haven't tried that yet.

As for Linux Distros, PCLinuxOS is good for people like me that are happy with the traditional/classic Windows look (and want a boatload of software), as with XP. Distros like Zorin, Ubuntu, etc. are better for people that want a more modern look and feel. I tried Zorin today and it was very impressive. The internet worked immediately, as did Synaptic Package Manager, just like PCLOS and others I'm sure. So in the end, it's your call. I guess the biggest problem(?) with Linux is the wide variety of distros available, and all the possible configurations and looks you can give it. That's not a bad problem to have with a rock solid OS that's pretty malware proof...

Lounger
    Thanks
    ...just wanted to put in a plug for the Enlightenment desktop (sorry, window manager). KDE is still my default window manager (because of its 'customizability' edge), but I tried Enlightenment a.k.a. "E19" (actually E-0.19) on my PCLinuxOS laptop, and man is it ever slick looking, and working for that matter (nice animated functionality). I think it almost rivals any of the other top Desktops. As with any Linux distro that you choose to go with, it takes some getting used to, but that's SOP anyway. The "A-19-Beauty" theme (customized for PCLinuxOS) looks great. I don't know which distro is the best one for newbies... maybe Puppy Linux... or maybe Ubuntu... maybe even PCLOS/KDE. And as far as malware, I don't even worry about it. Just don't visit questionable websites and don't open e-mails capriciously (although I still don't think it would matter because the vast majority of malware attempts target Window computers).

Thanks
    I'm about to try Ubuntu. I found a website where you can download it, and I really like what I see on this website:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download

The download is free; they make their money on support, cloud services, etc. They have links for updates/patches, software, etc.

If one of the Linux distros really takes off, they might just give Microsoft a run for their money on the corporate desktop.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Linux Mint and it's pretty much built on Ubuntu or Debian. It's close enough to Windows to make the GUI transition manageable. I did get the PCLinux OS LiveDVDs, interesting but screen resolution/icon size will be an important adjustment for some folks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Then there's the need for malware protection. I have no idea what is out there for Linux.

Malware protection is easy. I have used various Linux versions over the last 10 years with no antivirus. You just need to keep current on updates. There are no viruses for desktop Linux. You just need to follow the normal safety precautions on not revealing you personal information.

There are many reasons Linux is having a hard time getting more popular. Lack of advertising and no major distribution of preinstalled Linux. Companies offer preinstalled Linux but you have to look for them and the big box stores do not carry System 76 or the other smaller brands.

Lack of people to get support form is another major barrier. Most computer users will not do a system install on their own.

Thanks
    You do need malware protection if you have Linux:
    https://securelist.com/blog/research...ks-in-q1-2015/

One of the reasons is that if you run a Windows program on your Linux system, although the OS might be safe, the Windows program might be vulnerable:
    https://www.av-test.org/en/news/news...t-to-the-test/

Also, installing a Windows flash drive or hard disk in a Linux system can introduce malware into the Linux system.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Which anti-virus / malware program do you use? I just installed Clamav but it apparently is used to scan a file or a directory as per user input. I'm one of those spoiled Windows users that is used to everything being automated... I would like to try Sophos, but I would have to install it manually, and I'm not familiar with all steps that that would entail. I guess I could learn.

UPDATE: I have discovered that since PCLinux is a derivative of Mandriva, and is now a distro unto itself, I am strongly advised not to install packages for this particular distro, and instead to wait until they appear in the software repositories. Clamav is mediocre anti-virus, but it's take it or leave it, and hope for the best. I'm not worried. This is my secondary computer anyway.
    Last edited by keith9e; 2016-08-28 at 13:46. Reason: Found out more info about this topic

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith9e View Post
    Which anti-virus / malware program do you use? I just installed Clamav but it apparently is used to scan a file or a directory as per user input. I'm one of those spoiled Windows users that is used to everything being automated... I would like to try Sophos, but I would have to install it manually, and I'm not familiar with all steps that that would entail. I guess I could learn.

UPDATE: I have discovered that since PCLinux is a derivative of Mandriva, and is now a distro unto itself, I am strongly advised not to install packages for this particular distro, and instead to wait until they appear in the software repositories. Clamav is mediocre anti-virus, but it's take it or leave it, and hope for the best. I'm not worried. This is my secondary computer anyway.
    I looked into this some more and learned that you can add more signatures to ClamAV. One person suggested that was why it did not come out good in the test results. You can find a script from http://eXtremeSHOK.com/ that can download signatures from several different sources. I also found the script here: http://sanesecurity.com/usage/linux-scripts/ so you do not have to go hunting on the eXtremeSHOK site. Read this wiki page: https://wiki.contribs.org/Virus:Additional_Signatures for some ideas.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mnrock For This Useful Post:

keith9e (2016-08-31)

Lounger
    Thanks
    BTW, on the subject of which Linux distros are worth giving a try, as BATcher has suggested, Zorin indeed has a lot going for it and it's one of my favs, but I just tried MacPup Linux, and wow, it is impressive with that nice enlightenment desktop and the ability to switch to the other one on the fly... Ubuntu and Linux Mint are good picks, but try MacPup. I think you too will find it to be rather cool. Someday I'll get around to all the complicated (to me) stuff like updating Clamav or installing Sophos, but right now, I have to paint this basement!

Thanks
    I have been playing with the most recent update to the Puppy family, Slacko Puppy 6.3, from November 2015, and find it very pleasing. It can be run entirely from the bootable USB Flash Drive since it loads everything into RAM at boot time, saving changes back to the Flash Drive every so often, and at shutdown. At first startup it asks all the required questions like language, location, keyboard, and so on, and these get saved. Highly useful as a portable Linux system.
    I have been fighting mtPaint, trying to produce a JPG which would give a pale cyan background to the Puppy desktop. "Non-intuitive", I would call it. (I have worse words available on request...)

I was interested in the ISO sizes of a few distributions:
    • Tiny Core Plus: 110 MB. No browser is included, nor an easy way of using DHCP setting up network parameters - ignore
    • Slacko Puppy 64-bit: 250 MB. All the simple things you want and need
    • Zorin Core 64-bit: 1600 MB. Heavyweight and comprehensive
    • Mint Cinnamon 64-bit: 1700 MB. Almost all you could ever need.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try clamtk. It is a GUI for Clam AV. It comes with a scheduler for auto updates and auto scans.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jrdad For This Useful Post:

keith9e (2016-09-11)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast