Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Microsoft changes Win7/8.1 updates, pushes even harder for Windows 10

I imagine that many here have seen this already but I will post it in case some have not.
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/310...indows-10.html

Starting in October, patches will be cumulative and Win7/8.1 customers will effectively cede control of their PCs to Microsoft
    I have to assume that MS has decided to "Show W7/8.1 users" their disdain for cheating them out of their 1 billion W10 installs ( sarcasm intended ).
    There will be no more selecting good/bad updates, you will either accept all updates cumulatively ( Just like Win 10 ) or you can decide to not get any security updates anymore. The only "possible" work-around is selecting certain updates from the catalog site. We'll have to wait and see how that plays out.
    Thank goodness I have confidence in MS to not install any bad patches, they never have have they?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    ...Thank goodness I have confidence in MS to not install any bad patches, they never have have they?...
    C'mon mate. Micro$oft wouldn't install bad patches
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I posted from a Computer World article, on this same issue!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I wondered about the "pushes even harder for Windows 10" part, until I realized it was Woody; no justification required!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I saw this being discussed before the AU and while I understand their motivation I have to disagree soundly with this decision. I'm keeping two Win7 computers as is because I use them for work and can ill afford some patch messing up something I rely on. And this has happened more than once in the past few years.

One big fear I have is that they will do as they have done with Win10 and make updates automatic and mandatory. At that point, I might have to put something in the firewall to block updates.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    @BruceR

+1
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I wondered about the "pushes even harder for Windows 10" part, until I realized it was Woody; no justification required!
    Actually, I believe the point of Woody's statement is that W7/8.1 consumers will lose the ability to bypass broken updates by MS so they might as well submit to W10 ( the good, the bad, and the ugly ) and accept the fact that if a bad patch comes out, your stuck with a computer that may not function.
    I guess that MS is trying to build the economy back up by forcing "possibly" bad patches which in turn will force many consumers to either take their computer to a tech shop or buy a new computer ( which will probably have W10 on it ). I'm just tickled pink that MS is getting the economy going again and watching out for all us consumers who bought their product.
    Kinda brings a tear to my eyes when I think about how MS is helping all of us out.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Actually I think that for quite a few years anything that Microsoft has released has ended up on Woody's s**t list. New from Microsoft = bad as far as Woody is concerned.
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Actually I think that for quite a few years anything that Microsoft has released has ended up on Woody's s**t list. New from Microsoft = bad as far as Woody is concerned.
    I certainly understand your statement Joe and I also don't think of Woody as a saint/savior in his feelings about MS BUT he also brings up a number of their flaws and what I see as disdain for the consumers that still have until 2020 and 2023 respectfully of using an OS that they bought in good faith. Woody isn't the only author that thinks that what MS is doing isn't "Kosher" for the consumer.
    As Woody said in the article, you either accept the cumulative updates or you quit patching, which seems like an honest "Opinion" to me of MS's decision.

Thanks
    To me, Woody is just a regular guy who doesn't feel he has to repeat the party line. He says things that others won't say.

Your best bet in getting the whole story is to follow Woody and lots of others. In this way, you will have less chance of bias filtering out some information.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

CEScott (2016-08-17),Cnon (2016-08-25),Slorm (2016-08-18)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Woody has written guide books on all the latest MS OS's including a 1000 page guide on Win 10. He points out the good points as well as the bad, and gives a lot of good advice in his books and his website.

Thanks
    Don't forget that it was Woody who gave us Windows Secrets Forums (originally known as Woody's Lounge).

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Cnon (2016-08-18)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Actually, I believe the point of Woody's statement is that W7/8.1 consumers will lose the ability to bypass broken updates by MS so they might as well submit to W10 ( the good, the bad, and the ugly ) and accept the fact that if a bad patch comes out, your stuck with a computer that may not function.
    Even more likely, IMHO, is that the poor suckers on whom the broken updates are inflicted will take their PC to a repair shop where the 'fix' will be a paid-for Win10 upgrade...
    Kinda reduces any incentive for MS to ensure the updates actually work.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Don't forget that it was Woody who gave us Windows Secrets Forums (originally known as Woody's Lounge).
    Don't forget that this is the Microsoft that gave us XP ...

Sorry, Jim, couldn't help it . Yes, I am just trolling, I will take a quick exit now .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2016-08-18)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is why I think this sort of thing is a load of bull feathers...

I'm still using Office 2010 Home and Student on my Win7 and Win10 computers. I don't need anything newer and the programs haven't really been updated much since then despite two new named versions. This version does not come with Outlook, which is OK because I've never used it.

This afternoon, my Win10 computer announced that there was a new update pending. I looked and found it was "Definition Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB3115475)". No explanation so I looked it up online and find it is, "August 2, 2016, update for Outlook 2010 Junk Email Filter (KB3115475) " WTF???

Why on earth is it wasting time trying to install an update for a program I don't even have? Is this really the best Microsoft can do when it comes to delivering needed updates? Is it any wonder that people are concerned about not being able to see what's in all those updates and decide if they want them or not.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast