New Lounger
    Thanks

More Problems With AU That I Haven't Seen Mentioned

Although my Win 10 Anniversary Update installed with no apparent problems, I soon encountered a persistent error relating to my USB-connected HP Officejet Pro L7680 all-in-one printer. To solve this problem, I had to uninstall and reinstall my printer software. About the same time, the Logitech Setpoint mouse & keyboard software began exhibiting errors that could only be resolved by totally removing it... even though it had worked flawlessly under Win 7, as well as under the earlier version of Win 10. My 3rd problem is with the periodic system "freeze ups" that last for about a minute or so... during which my system is unresponsive to either mouse or keyboard input, including CTRL/ALT/DLT.

My C: drive is a Crucial 1TB SSD, and contains my OS plus all installed programs. My D: drive is a 1TB conventional WD hard drive, and is used for my data files. I've read that Microsoft's "workaround" for now is to move EVERYTHING to the SSD... which I'm not eager to do! I set my system up this way for a reason, and it worked fine up to now... so why did Microsoft find it necessary to impose this new consolidation "requirement" on us???

Anyway, just wanted to go on record with the AU problems I've had so far. Oops! Almost forgot the most worrisome problem of all: numerous Event Log entries regarding C: drive (SSD) errors during paging operation... followed by an entry indicating that a drive RESET was issued! This is a nearly-new SSD, and up to now (post-AU) it has worked flawlessly! CHKDSK finds no problem with it... so how did Microsoft manage to muck it up, too? My 10-day rollback window has lapsed... so I guess I'm stuck with waiting on some MS fixes.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you checked the Crucial web site for a firmware update?
    Ditto for a disk controller driver.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've seen a Woody article posted somewhere regarding freezes after AU and MS's advice is to roll back to the previous build until they sort out a patch.

However, if you are beyond the roll back period and you created an ISO for 10586 then you could do a repair install with that.

I'm experiencing slow browsing problems since AU but not sure if that is down to AU or that I've uninstalled Adblock Plus, but I'll be using my 10586 disk to go back.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-08-17 at 03:29.

Thanks
    My only "problem" is a curious one that appeared when I originally upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (an in-place upgrade, keeping all my Apps and Documents). I had to re-activate Microsoft Office 2013 (desktop version). I had to do the same after installation of the AU. I have only come across one other user reporting a similar issue. As I say, weird.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I've seen a Woody article posted somewhere regarding freezes after AU and MS's advice is to roll back to the previous build until they sort out a patch.

However, if you are beyond the roll back period and you created an ISO for 10586 then you could do a repair install with that.

I'm experiencing slow browsing problems since AU but not sure if that is down to AU or that I've uninstalled Adblock Plus, but I'll be using my 10586 disk to go back.
    Just found out that you can't do a repair install with the 10586 ISO from AU - I've had to factory reset my Win 10 machine using Recovery Disks as I'd removed the Recovery Partition and extended that to C: prior to the initial upgrade.

Open Windows were just going blank and with a busy which I couldn't nail down to anything else so I decided to go back to 10586.

Done the factory reset, restored with a system image I'd created before the Win 10 upgrade - brought Norton up to date and the upgrade is now in the early stages checking for updates - hope it doesn't get stuck

I'm beginning to think Win 10 is more trouble than it's worth

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Have you checked the Crucial web site for a firmware update?
    Ditto for a disk controller driver.

cheers, Paul
    Paul,
    My Crucial SSD came with the Crucial Storage Executive Client software that I launch periodically from my taskbar. It consistently shows that the latest firmware version (MU05) is installed. Thanks for your suggestion.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I had to do that also for office 2013. It reauthorized with no problems.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @Paul Bunyan
    Permit me an observation, please (which won't be much help)...

Last week a friend brought her laptop to me complaining of Cortana being seemingly "nuts". The laptop was very slow and Edge pages would close suddenly with no explanation, error message, etc.
    I rebooted it a couple of times and decided to just slip my thumb drive into a USB slot and try to perform a repair install. The laptop was version 1607.
    I'd just performed a clean install (using my thumb drive) the day before on a different computer (resulting in build 14393.51).
    The in-place upgrade worked properly and all was apparently well afterward.
    Over the course of the last year I've gotten into the habit of using the MCT to create a new installation thumb drive a few days after each new cumulative update, and to allow the MCT to download whatever new files it wants during the creation process. That seems to work to my advantage.

My friend's laptop does have an SSD -- but it doesn't have a secondary hard drive, so it isn't like yours (nor like most of those Microsoft has reported as having problems).

Maybe this will help some other reader of this thread (with different circumstances?).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RockE For This Useful Post:

zinethar (2016-08-17)

Thanks
    @zinethar: Glad to know I am not alone!! (Yes, re-activation on each occasion was smooth; no problems at all).
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.