New Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Microsoft to end decades-old pick-a-patch practice in Windows 7

From the article:

Microsoft yesterday announced that beginning in October it will offer only cumulative security updates for Windows 7 and 8.1, ending the decades-old practice of letting customers choose which patches they apply.

http://www.computerworld.com/article...ews#tk.CW_nlt_ computerworld_dailynews_2016-08-16

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnon View Post
    From the article:

Microsoft yesterday announced that beginning in October it will offer only cumulative security updates for Windows 7 and 8.1, ending the decades-old practice of letting customers choose which patches they apply.

http://www.computerworld.com/article...ews#tk.CW_nlt_ computerworld_dailynews_2016-08-16
    The second statement is not implied by the first. I can choose whether to install updates on windows 7 and 8.1, security or otherwise.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The whole sentenece is an interpretation of what Microsoft actually announced. You need to read the article which contains the Microsoft statment.
    Joe

Thanks
    I've been downloading WU ISOs. So far, 2016 & 2015. Going onto 2014 & earlier. I "snapshotted" the WU page for a listing of the WUs needed and suggested for each of my computers. Will be doing offline WUing via Window 7 MSIs expanded from the ISOs. Regardless of the MS article, I've had way too many eternal circles during online WU attempts
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    The whole sentenece is an interpretation of what Microsoft actually announced. You need to read the article which contains the Microsoft statment.
    Just did and it still doesn't say patches will be forced on us, only that you either install all patches or no patches. I can still decide not to install them.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogknees View Post
    Just did and it still doesn't say patches will be forced on us, only that you either install all patches or no patches. I can still decide not to install them.

True, but with the all or nothing approach, if a bad patch borks your computer, it'll be hard to fix since you can't uninstall individual patches!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnon View Post
    True, but with the all or nothing approach, if a bad patch borks your computer, it'll be hard to fix since you can't uninstall individual patches!
    The simple answer is don't install them. It's worked for me for many years now.

Thanks
    You can install the entire roll up patch (which includes everything); or you can install the security-only roll up patch (which includes only the current month's security patches).

If you have auto updates turned on, it will download and install the "entire" rollup patch. You'll need to turn auto updates off if you want the security only roll up patch; and you'll then need to install that patch manually.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's another thread on this already:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...for-Windows-10

Part of this issue is that you can't skip the March security patch then do the April because the April will be cumulative. If you don't like the March security patch then you stop doing security patches - forever.

The other big part of this is that it would seem that non-security patches will be coming the same way and be bundled in with the security patches. This is the bothersome issue for some since it's the non-security patches that have posed the most problems in the past.
    Customers who receive patches and bug fixes via Windows Update -- the consumer-grade maintenance service -- will automatically get the security/non-security cumulative update; they will not have a choice.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)