New Lounger
    Thanks

Todays updates did it again but worse

Today's updates appeared to be all office updates so I let them install. Immediately after the reboot (why does a software update trigger a reboot??) Immediately after I checked my email using outlook - oh boy the problems. No link in an email would work - all threw an errorerror.jpg

After checking Microsoft site I found that resetting the default browser should fix the problem. I originally had Chrome as my default and changed it to Firefix. BAM - after that neither of them would work. The only working browser (surprise surprise) was Edge. After Edge was opened Firefox began working again. Chrome now threw that side-by-side error. Changing Chrome back to default did nothing. I tried to uninstall the updates and after a reboot nothing had changed - including windows update still showing those updates as being installed. I decided to use a restore point that I was sure Microsoft would have made before an update that required a reboot. Not only did they not do that, they somehow turned off system restore which eliminated the restore point I myself set after rolling back the Anniversary Update problems.Finally I reinstalled Chrome and at the moment everything seems to be working. This is now 2 days of problem solving instead of working this month due to install issues and I'm getting fed up with it.

With this forced updating (I have tried to stop that with a group policy) and now having an unreliable system restore I am super frustrated and about ready to go back to my childhood dream job as a garbage man.
    Last edited by zinethar; 2016-08-17 at 18:24.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    An update can ask for a re-boot if a file that is to be replaced is in use.

If the sdie-by-side configuration for an application is incorrect I'd suspect some third party system cleaning tool unless you manually deleted files/folders in the WinSXS folder. That folder is used to service Windows and should never be touched outside of installer and official Microsoft tools.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I realize that anything can ask for a reboot but I was surprised when no office product was in use (although I am aware Outlook likes to hang around). I service windows computers and would not delete things in the WinSXS folder. I had already done work and done email all morning and happened to double check that Windows Update had not put in place the update that had caused me so many issues earlier. That was when I noticed it had scheduled a reboot. After checking what was to be updated I thought they should be benign so I told it to reboot. Immediately after any reboot I open outlook so that it will be prepared to use when needed (it takes forever to get ready after a reboot). That was when the trouble started. So no it was not my doing.

Thanks
    The re-setting of System Restore with updates since installing the AU is weird: If it is active, an update turns it off; if inactive (off), the update turns it on!! I have experienced this phenomenon with the three updates I have received since installing the AU (I checked the status os Restore on each occasion because I do not want to use it, preferring regular full System Image backups and keeping an in-date Install ISO.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.