New Lounger
    Thanks

Anniversary version graphics update

When automatic update updates my graphics the apps no longer appear on the desktop and only show an icon on the taskbar. The mouse doesn't work and the whole os inoperable. Fortunately I have several computers and this version of windows 10 has been installed on three of them on spare hard drives and the results are the same on all of them. The initial version of windows 10 works properly on all of my computers with all graphic cards properly updated. Just the anniversary issue fails after the graphic update. This would be a big deal to anyone with one computer and they would have a hard time trying to get it working again. Most annoying and a big waste of my time thus far. Any suggestions will be welcome.

These are all fresh installations. I downloaded the iso and have it on both a usb flash drive and on a dvd. I have not been offered the update by MS yet.
    Last edited by thegreatbellini; 2016-08-18 at 07:48.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Do you have the latest graphics driver? Often Windows does not contain the latest driver.
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes Joe, I have the very latest driver available from Intel dated 4/4/16. It works fine with Windows 10, version 1511, build 10586.545. The problem occurs with version 1607. I may have to wait for Intel to produce a newer driver to accommodate the Anniversary issue. Prior to downloading the latest offering from Intel, windows update did the update with the same result, a computer with no mouse or access to any of the apps. Paragon Hard Disk Manager does a superb job of making partitions and cloning partitions or the whole hard drive. Using this very worthwhile program I always clone the C drive to one or more partitions to avoid having to reinstall the OS when this type of obstacle arises. The Microsoft driver installed by windows works just fine and allows the desired 1920 x 1080 resolution. The problem is with the damn automatic update installing the Intel driver without allowing me any choice in the matter. Perhaps someone with the knowledge necessary to create a way to block certain unwanted updates will create and release just such a fix. The Intel graphics are built into the motherboard and I have tried installing two different video cards that both worked fine with version 1511 and also with the Microsoft driver provided with version 1607. However, when the automatic update installed the Intel driver the graphics are out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Do you have the latest graphics driver? Often Windows does not contain the latest driver.
    Last edited by thegreatbellini; 2016-08-18 at 23:56.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found a work-around to solve this dilemma. The answer was found here: http://www.howtogeek.com/223864/how-...on-windows-10/. The forced video update has been safely hidden and no longer presents itself as a game stopper.