New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Universal app tiles missing

After receiving Version 1607 update, the Windows Universal app tiles are missing when click start icon in the lower left corner. Also Microsoft Edge is not in the list of applications. I can start Edge if I type in a internet address in search. Searching the internet did not reveal a solution.

davidhk
    Run a system file check to look for corrupt file.
    It will try to do repair if any found.

Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    1. No integrity violation.
    2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to davidhk For This Useful Post:

ronbooth (2016-08-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    davidhk
    I ran sfc and dism exactly as you suggested. Neither found any problems. I also added 2nd user with admin privileges. When log in to the 2nd user, the Windows Universal app tiles are where they should be. Then logging in to the 1st user they are still missing.

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbooth View Post
    davidhk
    I ran sfc and dism exactly as you suggested. Neither found any problems. I also added 2nd user with admin privileges. When log in to the 2nd user, the Windows Universal app tiles are where they should be. Then logging in to the 1st user they are still missing.
    That usually means your original admin account is corrupted.

Use the 2nd one you just created for a few days to make sure.
    If everything is fine, then go back to the original admin acct > backup files you want to keep > delete the account. It is no good to you anymore.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    davidhk
    Thank you for your suggestions. I was hoping someone had a fix. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and copy all my data to a flash drive and erase corrupt user and create a new user.

davidhk
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbooth View Post
    davidhk
    Thank you for your suggestions. I was hoping someone had a fix. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and copy all my data to a flash drive and erase corrupt user and create a new user.
    Why you want to "create a new user" ?
    Didn't you already created a 2nd user with admin privileges ?
    Why not use that one ?

Unless you want to have 2 admin accounts, if so, that will make sense. I always prefer to have 2 admin accts, one of which is for "plan B".

I hope I have not misunderstood your reply.
    Last edited by davidhk; 2016-08-19 at 17:44.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to davidhk For This Useful Post:

ronbooth (2016-08-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    davidhk
    First I will log in as the 2nd user and save all the data from the corrupted user folder to an external drive.
    Second I will delete the corrupted user.
    Third I will create a new user with the same credentials as the corrupted user
    Fourth I will copy the saved data to the new user.
    Fifth I will log out of the 2nd user and log in to the new user and see if every thing checks out.

davidhk
    [QUOTE=ronbooth;1064998]davidhk
    First I will log in as the 2nd user and save all the data from the corrupted user folder to an external drive.
    QUOTE]

Shouldn't you be doing this way ?
    Log in to the corrupt user account > backup files to an external hard drive > log out.
    Then login to the 2nd admin account > delete the corrupt account.

( The 3rd, 4th and 5th steps sound good to me. Just the 1st step I have question on.)

What do you think ?

Thanks
    Or you could just follow the steps under Transfer Data from old to new user account outlined here:
    http://www.techbout.com/fix-corrupt-...ndows-10-9139/

Jerry

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

ronbooth (2016-08-22)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbooth
    I was hoping someone had a fix. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and copy all my data to a flash drive and erase corrupt user and create a new user.
    You could try re-installing the built-in apps for just the current user as if they had been removed. As this will force each app's manifest file to be refreshed it should show them again in their default positions in Start, including Edge.

1. Right-click on Start.
    2. Select Command Prompt (Admin) (and click Yes on the User Account Control dialog that appears).
    3. In the commandline window, type powershell and press RETURN (ENTER).
    4. Wait for the commandline prompt to change to the PowerShell prompt, i.e. PS.
    5. Copy/paste the following into the prompt and press RETURN (ENTER):
      Code:
      Get-AppxPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml}
    6. Wait for processing to complete (it takes a while) then, when the prompt returns, close the commandline window and restart or sign out/sign in.

Note: If you have issues using different profiles then you can refresh the apps for every profile by using the following instead:
    Code:
    Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml}
    Hope this helps...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

ronbooth (2016-08-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is how I resolved the problem:
    1. Create a new admin user
    2. Boot using Macrium Reflect CD, create image of C: partition & store on external hard drive.
    3. Boot from flash drive (Gandolf’s Windows 10 PE)
    4. Copy C:\Users\Ron\ folder to external hard drive
    5. Boot using new user account
    6. Delete corrupted User\ Ron folder
    7. Log off & log back in so account is setup
    8. Copy Contacts, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Favorites, Music, Pictures & Videos folders from external hard drive to corresponding C:\Users\Ron folders
    Also had to copy some folders from AppData\Local & AppData\Roaming folders to corresponding folders in User\Ron folders to reload data for Mozilla Thunderbird.

Thanks to everyone for the rest of the suggestions.