New Lounger
    Thanks

Emailing parts of an Access 2013 report

I work with a small team of people who plan a reunion for alumni of a local school. The team has a list of alumni, but the postal addresses for these alumni are incomplete. The person who leads the effort to track down missing addresses asked me to create a list of the people for whom we have no address, and to break the list down by graduation year. I must mention that everyone on this team is an older adult ... well into retirement and not skilled with a computer.

In an Access database, I started with a table of the people whose addresses we don't have. Then I used a query to create a report, which I then exported as a PDF. Each class year appears on a separate page or pages. The person I'm working with says she really likes the PDF, but we've identified one little problem. She would like to send select pages—say, the two pages that cover the class of 1958—to one or more people who will help track down the missing information.

Trouble is, you can't lift a page or two from a PDF and email them. You have to send the entire document. On the other hand, it's a very small file (281KB)—the recipient can simply print only the page or pages they need. But this situation got me to thinking. Can I export this Access 2013 report in a format that will permit a user to easily forward selected portions to other persons? I know I can export to MS-Word, but wouldn't I end up in the same situation as with a PDF?

Just looking for ideas. Thanks, friends!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Since you use a query for the report you can change the query parameters each time you run it.

You could put the parameters in a temp table that the query uses then just change the parameters (eg. class of 1958) for each run.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Patt—a very good thought. That would mean I do the work to make those individual pages, and I've already done the heavy lifting. Since I'm not the one who's emailing this stuff—I'm just the database guy—I was looking for a simple way for a non-computer-literate person to select a page (or pages) from the PDF and email it.

I think I've found just the tool: Windows XPS Document Writer. That means I'll have to teach my friend how to use it, assuming she's willing to learn.