2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Onedrive displays personal information

Where can I find what information Onedrive displays when I share a link? And can I control that?

I recently shared a PDF file stored on Onedrive on a public forum as read only. Much to my dismay, my private MS account details (e-mail address) where exposed as well.
    It also seems that I can no longer use the services of bitly to share the links. MSoft seems now to control that part, with all evil consequences.

Thanks
    I don't use OneDrive, but since you didn't get any other replies...

First thing is to set up another email account for yourself and send a link there which you can examine.

More useful should be Susan Bradley's article A threat from our growing use of MS sign-ins in the latest Windows Secrets newsletter.
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lugh, thanks for your reply.

Isn't frightening that nobody seems to know (or perhaps care) what kind op personal information is displayed?
    BTW: I 'solved' the problem by dropping OneDrive in favour of Dropbox.

Thanks
    I've just sent myself a share link on Onedrive. The resultant URL doesn't have any email address in it. Where was the email address shown?
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Thanks
    I've also sent a share link from Onedrive to myself and there is no sign of any email address in the link.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    OneDrive sharing links are completely anonymous. They are anonymous in terms of not showing any owner related information and, when opened, the URL or the resulting webpage are completely anonymous, as well.

Of course, if you email the link, your email address will be shown.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Hi rvWoody, if you want to share a file in the future try using one of the free file sharing sites.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The e-mail information showed up (with author information) in a pane at the right to the document. I don't know how to control that pane or its information. This behaviour started with the changed shortened links (bitly transformation of those links no longer works) about 2 months ago. No warning (at least that I know of) was given by MSoft.

I took the drastic 'solution' to switch to Dropbox.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just tried it again and lo and behold: the email address information was dropped. However it does still show my real name (which is not the intention)
    2016-08-28_09-56-30.jpg

For possible non-believers: I confirm that the e-mail address did show previously as I got several mails in return to my posting of the document.

Thanks
    Just tried with a PDF and that pane does show up. It gives my name but not my email address. Obviously it doesn't apply to docx files (as I have already found out). Whether it applies to any other files has to be determined. Sharing PDFs via Onedrive on forums might be unwise, so using Dropbox is a useful alternative. I normally use Dropbox for this, but not because I knew about the Onedrive issue.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rvWoody View Post
    I just tried it again and lo and behold: the email address information was dropped. However it does still show my real name (which is not the intention)
    Out of interest, I just confirmed that, as you say, the Onedrive/MS account name (in my case 'Martin Gerhold') is shown, so the email info may have been a temporary glitch. That said, why do you care if recipients of the link can see who you are? Why is it necessary to be anonymous? That is, of course, your business, but be aware that the pdf file properties will include other info about you, albeit maybe only your logon name on the device you used to create it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mngerhold View Post
    ...That said, why do you care if recipients of the link can see who you are? Why is it necessary to be anonymous? ....
    Necessary is a too strong wording. I prefer to remain anonymous on some forums probably for the same reason that you don't use your real name on this one...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rvWoody View Post
    Necessary is a too strong wording. I prefer to remain anonymous on some forums probably for the same reason that you don't use your real name on this one...
    Interesting, because that is my real name. You will find me registered under that name on a number of fora. You could have checked me out on LinkedIn recently, but I gave that up (I hope) as it sent too many pointless emails. NB I typed my full name in post #11).