Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

What AV are Windows 10 folks using?

I have (actually had) the commercial version of avast Internet Security installed on my Win 10-64 AU machine. For two consecutive days after the last avast software update (last Friday) I've had two BSOD crashes. The crashes don't point to avast but it's the last thing that changed on my machine. Before that, I've only had one BSOD crash that actually did point to an avast driver. And these two crashes were for two different reasons.

So, I'm thinking I don't feel so good about avast any more; I uninstalled it and for now I'll depend on Windows Defender and my commercial version of Malwarebytes anti-malware to see if my BSODs go away.

What AV products/suites are people running on Windows 10 which aren't causing them heartburn? Avast has had a lot of problems in the last few weeks. I'm sensitive that trying to keep their product working with a moving target like Win 10 is a formidable task but BSODs are really unacceptable and IMHO, the product has become extremely bloated.

Rob

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Malwarebytes Pro + Emsisoft Antimalware.

Using a single product is just too risky, IMO. Using different products, including products that are not blacklist based, is a good way to minimize the changes of getting infected.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I just continued using my Norton Security after my upgrade and shopping around for it can find a cheaper deal than buying from Symantec.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OldMainframeGuy
    So, I'm thinking I don't feel so good about avast any more; I uninstalled it and for now I'll depend on Windows Defender and my commercial version of Malwarebytes anti-malware to see if my BSODs go away.
    I gave up using Avast Free in March when a new version was released. From the number of complaints in the support forum at the time I got the impression Avast developers and support forum staff were a bit overwhelmed by the number of problems reported. I'm now using Defender and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium for my Windows 10 devices.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    I use Defender and the free version of Malwarebytes with an occasional scan using a rotation of one of the free online scanners from TrendMicro, ESET, Bit Defender, McAfee, or Kaspersky.
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I use Defender and the free version of Malwarebytes with an occasional scan using a rotation of one of the free online scanners from TrendMicro, ESET, Bit Defender, McAfee, or Kaspersky.
    Me, too.

Thanks
    Defender and Malwarebytes AM Home Premium.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I am using Norton Internet Security. It works just fine except: Norton Identity Safe (password manager), which ships with the product, does not work with Microsoft Edge (Symantec claims they are waiting for MS to enable certain add-ons for Edge, which will hopefully include Norton Identity Safe).

In the interim, Identity Safe works just fine with Internet Explorer (and other popular browsers) under Windows 10

See here for details:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/...rProfile_en_us
    (My Setup: Custom built: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 10 Pro (64 bit) - (UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2015 Premium, NIS 2016, VMWare Workstation12 Pro, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    I am using Defender and Malwarebytes Pro.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Defender and the free version of Malwarebytes........
    Me also.
    George

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Windows Defender and the free version of Malwarebytes.

Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe: I like that idea.

Thanks
    I don't use anything.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    I gave up using Avast Free in March when a new version was released. From the number of complaints in the support forum at the time I got the impression Avast developers and support forum staff were a bit overwhelmed by the number of problems reported. I'm now using Defender and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium for my Windows 10 devices.
    I have to agree, Rick. I've run the commercial version of avast Internet Security for a few years now but it's becoming unglued with all of the silly gizmos they're bolting on to it. Now that Defender is a "serious" AV solution I really don't see a reason to run a commercial product. I bought my copy of MBAM back in the days when they offered lifetime licenses so I'll keep that running. I also use Norton's Connect Safe DNS servers which add a bit more protection by screening out vicious web sites.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    djohnson, what version of "anything" do you not use

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ashbrook For This Useful Post:

eikelein (2016-08-27)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast