Thanks

Laptop Hanging on Bootup

My Toshiba Satellite S50-C laptop with Windows 7 Pro, a 256 GB SSD and an HHD has begun hanging on cold bootup after I enter my password. It hangs at the "Welcome..." screen that normally dissolves to the desktop in less than 5 seconds.

I have tried undoing the changes I made just before this problem started--changing my desktop from a picture slide show back to my old theme--as well as unplugging my Logitech M510 mouse dongle. I have had to force the laptop off and restart it. I have to then choose "Start Windows Normally" and, usually, it boots up, as expected. I will try booting it up with the laptop cooling pad disconnected when I get home later today.

When I have run sfc /scannow after these occurrences, no issues have been found. The problem is still occurring in spite of my tweaking mouse settings that were to address hang issues other users were having that I found in my research over the weekend.

I'm thinking of uninstalling the Logitech software. I may go as far as uninstalling the most recent Windows Updates and see if things are fixed from that. (I went a few days after the update without having the issue, so I have my doubts, but you never know...)

I am open to other suggestions of what to check/try to resolve this. Thanks.
    Ray
    OS: 2 computers w/ Win7 Home Premium 64-bit & 2 computer w/ Windows 10 AU Pro (1607)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky; Anti-malware: SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Don't suppose you've left a DVD in the drive, have you ?

If it's having problems loading anything then Event Viewer may have something recorded, but see how it starts in a clean boot.

Go Start - type msconfig and press enter.

Under the Startup tab click on Disable all - Apply - OK - Restart to see if there's any improvement.

If there is then you can leave them all disabled as you don't really need any unless one of them is your antivirus program, but if you want to find the culprit then just check the box for one of them at a time - Apply - OK and Restart until the hang comes back.

If there's no improvement with those disabled, then under the Services tab check the box to Hide all Microsoft services and this is a must before hitting Disable all - Apply - OK but check to see if your av program is listed among those and recheck its box first.

If that resolves then you will need to do the same with the services as you did with the start up items.

MS recommend that you check a few boxes at a time and if the problem reoccurs then disable one at a time until the problem resolves.

To revert to a normal boot, just check the button for Normal startup but you'll need to go back and uncheck the offending item if it boots okay with whatever disabled.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

WildcatRay (2016-08-23)

Thanks
    Of course, it booted up cleanly this afternoon. Go figure.

The trick now is if the cold boots continue to go through clean.
    Last edited by WildcatRay; 2016-08-23 at 20:34.
    Ray
    OS: 2 computers w/ Win7 Home Premium 64-bit & 2 computer w/ Windows 10 AU Pro (1607)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky; Anti-malware: SpywareBlaster, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What I've asked you to perform is a clean boot - not a cold boot.

A cold boot is where you remove all power sources and hold the power button in for 20 - 30 secs.

If you performed the clean boot and it continues to boot up as it should, then you need to eliminate each item as I've described until you find the culprit.

Thanks
    FYI: My definitions:

Bootup & Booted Up are the computer has been shut down and then turned on by pressing the power button.

Reboot is the computer is up and running and then restarted.

Cold Boot is the computer has been shut down and remained off for some period of time like when I go to work or bed.

I have seen the issue on "my" cold boots. I have not seen this issue on starting up after hibernating the computer as I typically do overnight.

Yesterday, when I returned home from work and turned my computer on--my cold boot--with my mouse dongle and cooling pad NOT connected to USB ports, it did NOT hang after I entered my password. It booted as it should.

My next step is to see if this remains true; if the computer boots up as it should with the dongle and cooling pad unplugged. If the hang begins happening, again, despite unplugging the items, I will then pursue your suggestions.
    Ray

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Okay.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

WildcatRay (2016-08-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There are many possibilities that can cause the problem but to narrow down the culprits, I don't suppose you've checked the event logs and or smart stats on the hhd? I've seen disk errors, particularly when loading system modules which might cause the problems you appear to be having. You might see a scandisk hang up when processing the disk which is an indication of some hardware beginning to 'go south'.
    You didn't mention how old the components were, but as they age, things happen. Try also re-seating the DRAM and video cards (if there is a PCI slot in the laptop.) A cold laptop that boots differently than a warm one would seem to point to a temperature related issue. In my book, a cold boot isn't just shutting down overnight, but pulling the battery and ac adapter before reconnecting and booting. When powered off, both the AC adapter and battery are used to power some components on the laptop motherboard. That power switch doesn't actually switch the DC supplies, but is connected to another support microprocessor which runs periodically and "turns on/off" the rest of the laptop.
    I track problems I've seen with different laptops with a paper logbook. When a problem surfaces, I document what was plugged in and the conditions when it failed to boot. You might find something consistent with a particular device plugged in at boot which causes the problem. Sometimes a logged boot or 'slow boot' can find these issues, although it is easier to remove a device and see if it boots ok on the next attempt.

A deteriorated battery can also affect the operation of many laptops and can cause boot issues which I've seen on other Toshiba laptops. If it isn't holding a charge, then either run without the battery or get a replacement.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to EdKeating For This Useful Post:

WildcatRay (2016-08-25)

Thanks
    So far, the past 2 bootups when coming home from work have gone smoothly. That is with me having removed from their USB connections my cooling pad and mouse dongle. I have to see how things go today.
    Ray

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had exactly the same symptoms when booting an HP Envy, Win 7 Pro, 240GB SSD. I spent hours talking to HP, and the SSD drive maker, updated all drivers, all to no effect. In the end I discovered by chance that if I disconnected a powered USB hub before booting there was no problem. Once Windows has started I can plug in the USB hub and it will be recognized immediately, as will the drives, printer and scanner connected to it. Seems like your USB mouse might be the problem. Try booting without it, then plug it in.

David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoceros View Post
    I have had exactly the same symptoms when booting an HP Envy, Win 7 Pro, 240GB SSD. I spent hours talking to HP, and the SSD drive maker, updated all drivers, all to no effect. In the end I discovered by chance that if I disconnected a powered USB hub before booting there was no problem. Once Windows has started I can plug in the USB hub and it will be recognized immediately, as will the drives, printer and scanner connected to it. Seems like your USB mouse might be the problem. Try booting without it, then plug it in.

David
    @David,

Didn't I just say that?

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatRay View Post
    So far, the past 2 bootups when coming home from work have gone smoothly. That is with me having removed from their USB connections my cooling pad and mouse dongle. I have to see how things go today.
    UPDATE: Three straight bootups--without mouse dongle and cooling pad plugged--in that ran fine, no hang after entering my password.
    Last edited by WildcatRay; 2016-08-26 at 13:22.
    Ray

Thanks
    Update:

Things got so bad on Friday that I chose the "nuclear option!" (I used my latest backup from before the August Windows Updates to restore my system back to when things were working OK.)

Along with holding off on those updates, I am also holding off on iTunes and uninstalled Team Viewer as I knew it had updated since the end of July. In fact, Team Viewer has updated a second time now in August. I have not checked to see why it updated the second time.

So far, so good.
    Ray