2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

KB 3177723 and KB 3179573

Hi,
    Getting daily reminders from Windows to download the above updates.One labelled important,the other optional.Any expert views as to what to do?Unfortunately I do not trust MS updates any more.Whatever they label them.Thank you!

Thanks
    A quick Google would probably assist you!

KB3177723
    2016 — Egypt cancels DST
    Egypt has permanently cancelled its observation of daylight savings time (DST). The DST adjustment for this year was scheduled to begin on Friday, July 8, 2016, at midnight (24:00).

KB3179573
    August 2016 update rollup for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
    The August 2016 update rollup includes some new improvements and fixes for the Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 platform. We recommend that you apply this update rollup as part of your regular maintenance routines.

So ignore the first and take the second, if you want...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-08-24)

Thanks
    Win 7 now has an update history page which gives you "some" info about the rollup. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...update-history
    As Batcher said, I doubt that you will need the Egypt DST and you may not need the other one either.

August 16, 2016 — KB3179573
    This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:
    Improved performance on specific networks that have a high-bandwidth and low latency.
    Addressed issue with users encountering a bugcheck, when trying to access a domain DFS namespace (for example, \\contoso.com\SYSVOL) on a computer that is configured to require mutual authentication (by using the UNC Hardened Access feature).

This problem may occur if the selected domain controller has security update KB3161561 installed, and if the SmbServerNameHardeningLevel registry entry is configured to a non-zero value on the domain controller.
    For more info about how to get this update and a complete list of affected files, see KB3179573.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-08-24)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are several sites that offer good advice on whether and when to install updates, and this is one of them ! You can subscribe to the newsletter and get the benefit of Susan Bradley's Patch Watch.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tandor For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-08-24)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed both updates and have had no issues. I could have lived without the Egypt update, but put it in anyway. I saw the list of files being updated by the optional update and noticed an update to the TCPIP so I decided to go for that one too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ldb For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2016-08-24)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do for several years already,but since the MS reminder kept coming up daily,I thought I wouldn't wait for thePatch Watch which comes only weeks later(for obvious reasons that I understand).Thanks for your reply anyway!!!