Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Change the Default Search engine for Win 10 Including Edge and Cortana

I know that I saw somewhere how to change the default to keep Edge from popping up, but I can no longer find that post. It is disturbing that even though I have chosen Google as the default search engine and Chrome as the default browser, every time I search for something in the accursed "Cortana box" it opens in Edge!
    How can I change it/turn it off? If Cortana could be manacled to do local only and Edge disabled entirely I'd be okay with that. Making ALL searches go to Google and having the others "available" wold be okay as well. I just haven't found the time to figure it out.
    I did allow the update at home, while I must stay with 7 at work for legacy compatibility. I was surprised to find that the 7 style search box that gave me the OPTION to "search for *** on the web?" is dearly missed! Sadly I have long passed the 30 day window to "go back" Not thinking at the time, I DO still have one legacy program that needs IE 10 or earlier to run. It refuses to run on Chrome, Firefox, later versions of IE, and even the Edge won't run it. Oh well, my bad.
    This is my verbose long winded way of asking Can someone please tell me how to make Win10 use google and chrome for EVERY search outside my local machine?
    Thank you all!
    Joel
    Windows 7 HP desktop with 12 GB RAM 1TB HDD (not much else here at my desk)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Go Start - Settings - System - Default apps. - scroll down to Web browser - click on whatever it is showing as then use the dropdown to select Chrome then close the window.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Go Start - Settings - System - Default apps. - scroll down to Web browser - click on whatever it is showing as then use the dropdown to select Chrome then close the window.
    That doesn't change Cortana using Edge and Bing. It appears that it's not possible to change Cortana's settings to anything other than Edge and Bing.

I await djohnson's method of changing it (though personally I rarely use the Windows search to search the web so I'm not really worried by this.)
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The original request was how to make Chrome the default browser as I understood it so that Edge didn't automatically open.

Changing that to IE on mine in that way accomplishes that and I've never seen Edge since.

I just use IE/Google for my searches and haven't checked to see what comes up when typing a search at Start.

I'm unable to confirm anything else at the moment as I'm manually upgrading that machine to the AU.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-08-24 at 05:09.

Thanks
    The original request was to change the default search engine and I, too am eagerly awaiting djohnson's further input to this thread.

Thanks
    Sorry I took so long. Here is how you do it. You must have Edge. It will not work without Edge. You must also have Chrome set as your default web browser.

Then go to the Chrome Store and install Chrometana.

Set Google as your preferred search engine, or Duck Duck Go or Yahoo! if you prefer.

Once that is done, download this compressed file.

Make a folder on your C-drive called Customizations, and within that folder make another folder called CortanaSearch. This is the way I have it set up.

Extract the files into the Cortana Search folder. You will have five files in C:\Customizations\CortanaSearch. These files are CortanaRedirect.vbs, CortanaRedirect.xml, CortanaSearchRedirect.cmd, EdgeAutomation.exe, and SearchUIMonitor.exe.

Now you open a command prompt as administrator, and run this
    Code:
    schtasks.exe /Create /XML C:\Customizations\CortanaSearch\CortanaRedirect.xml /tn CortanaRedirect
    Now restart your computer, and you are done.

I just want to mention that Edge will open briefly, then close. Occasionally you may need to close it yourself. Sometimes it stays open on first use, but do not be alarmed, just close it. This is the best solution.
    Last edited by djohnson; 2016-08-24 at 09:08.

Thanks
    I do not use Firefox, but I understand that within Firefox there is a setting which allows it to always use Google or another search engine in place of bing. So, you would choose this option for Firefox, and skip the Chrometana part, but all the rest remains the same.

Thanks
    Can we have an explanation of what this compressed file does and a Virustotal scan result link to check that it's clean and safe to run, please?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Can we have an explanation of what this compressed file does and a Virustotal scan result link to check that it's clean and safe to run, please?
    I already gave an explanation of what it does. If you don't want to redirect Cortana don't download it, it is your choice, I have been using it for a long time. It is clean, and safe to run.

Thanks
    Source please?

Thanks
    All I did was download the files from Winaero and put them into a package which works without user intervention. You can read about it at the Winaero site.

Thanks
    Thank you.

For anyone interested, here's the Virustotal URL for the scan of the original Winaero zip file.

Thanks
    Here is the Virustotal for my zip file.

Thanks
    I know, I uploaded it.

Still poor form to suggest anonymous files without posting the source, history and virus/malware test results.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joela44 View Post
    I was surprised to find that the 7 style search box that gave me the OPTION to "search for *** on the web?" is dearly missed!
    To search for something on the web is very easy, and if you have the Cortana redirect I have posted activated it will search in Chrome. All you need do is click on the start button, and start typing. Then you click the globe at the top, and your search will bring up results from the internet.

Last edited by djohnson; 2016-08-24 at 10:31.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast