3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

10 is supposed to be installable on a drive as small as 20GB but I'm already running out of space.

I have moved Program Files, including x86, and temp files to a separate partition but the drive is full and 10 has moved the part of the swap file to another partition. What can I do short of adding a new drive this one is less than 6 months old. In XP you could reclaim a lot of space by deleting old update files once you knew the computer was function fine. Is this the problem or part of it?

Thanks
    Run Disk Clean-up in Admin mode, then click on Clean up System files. The Disk Clean-up GUI will reappear. Click on OK. This will remove the Windows.old folder, if its still there, and the W10 installation files. You can also delete all but the last Restore point.

Thanks
    It's certainly possible as the screenshot below of my tablet running Windows 10 Anniversary Update shows. The best advice for tidying up the system partition is that given by Calimanco above.

acerdisk.PNG

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    C.M.,

Another small tweak, since it is just the system drive where you don't often search for files, you can turn off Indexing, see the pic in post #3, this will also give you a little power boost since it is less work for windows to do. Of course I'm assuming that since you've moved your program files you've already moved your user folder also.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry it's taken so long to respond. This is a clean install so there's no Windows.old. In XP the upgrades where shown as blue folders. I've looked everywhere to remove those and the install files but can't find them. I think their the majority of the problem. I didn't know I could more the users files. Does right clicking on the User folder give you the option to move them like it does Documents or do I need to do something else?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Check Marc View Post
    Sorry it's taken so long to respond. This is a clean install so there's no Windows.old. In XP the upgrades where shown as blue folders. I've looked everywhere to remove those and the install files but can't find them. I think their the majority of the problem. I didn't know I could more the users files. Does right clicking on the User folder give you the option to move them like it does Documents or do I need to do something else?
    Right-click the individual folders under Users\<username> and select Properties. The folders that can be moved have a Location tab.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    One other thing that will free up space is to turn off Hibernate.

Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter powercfg -h off

You'll be able to see how much has been freed up by checking the space available before and after.

Win 10 auto deletes old update files but you can manually do this with the command -

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Check Marc View Post
    In XP the upgrades where shown as blue folders. I've looked everywhere to remove those and the install files but can't find them.
    Well, I'm afraid you are out of luck there: since Vista, Windows uses the WinSxS folder to keep track of updates, and I can tell you from experience that messing with this in an attempt to free space is mostly non-rewarding, and liable to bust Windows. However, Patchcleaner will attempt to move orphaned install files.

I would suggest you run TreeSize (free) or similar to find out where the big folders are, and take it from there. After turning off hibernate (if applicable, you may have to manually delete the hiberfil.sys file. Then there is changing the space used by System Restore. Another possibility is removing unnecessary drivers: DriverStore Explorer will let you see, and remove unwanted ones.

Good luck!