Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Certain sites reject connectivity

I have several browsers on my computer. My favorite browser is Opera. It wins on every count. It loads faster. It is more stable, and even when other browsers have had problems with particular websites, Opera always worked -- until now.Certain websites (including yours) are now rejecting my connection attempts -- not all sites.Other browsers on the same computer can connect to these sites (I am typing this in Chrome).I have another computer connected to the Internet through the same router. On that computer, Opera works well.I have uninstalled and reinstalled Opera. It didn't help. I am not sure the uninstall was complete since the reinstalled Opera booted with the same windows opened as I last used before I uninstalled and had the same set of quick launch icons.It appears as though some websites have fingerprinted this particular computer/Opera combination and are rejecting connection.When the connection fails, there is no error message. The URL simply disappears from the address line and all appears as though I had never entered a URL. Before that happens, the small notification in the lower left corner states that my computer is sending a request to (whomever I entered).Does anyone have any speculations about what may have happened and how to fix it?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The uninstall left your configuration intact. This is not unusual.
    Can you run a portable version of Opera?
    Have you checked your file system for corruption (sfc /scannow)?

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When any browser starts playing up I've found it best to reset to defaults.

Previously I've uninstalled IE 10 and 11 through Windows Update and found it had the same problems after reinstalling but a reset has resolved.

However, as a belt 'n braces I'll also reset the winsock from a command prompt run as an administrator with this command -

netsh winsock reset

For good measure you can also add -

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

shutdown /r /t 00

The shutdown cmd will effect an immediate reboot.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a test. I just spent a lot of time typing a reply and it did not post. If I make it work this time. I will try again to add my real message.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to Paul T and Sudo15.

I ran sfc /scannow. It gave a message that it found some corrupted files that it could not correct.

The log was very long and hard to interpret. I searched for the work “error” and found several references to “inverse lock order”, several references to ownership errors, some references to registry problems, and several references to public keys, but no mention of Opera.

I also ran several malware scanners, specifically, ZoneAlarm Extreme Security, Webroot Secure Anywhere, Malwarebytes AntiMalware, and IObit Malware Fighter. I also ran CCleaner.

If Opera has a general reset option, I can’t find it.

As suggested by Sudo15, I ran the following from an admin level command prompt:
    netsh winsock reset
    ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /registerdns
    shutdown /r /t 00

My first suspicion was a domain name server problem, but can’t be sure of that.

The idea of running a portable version of Opera is a good suggestion. I downloaded and ran portable Opera version 39.0.2256.48. It works. It behaves just as my installed version of Opera used to work (until 5 days ago). It is a bit slow since I am running it from a memory stick in a USB 2.0 port.

I could put the portable version on my internal solid state drive, but I am not sure whether the portable version receives regular updates. If I have to remember to manually download a new version at regular intervals, it may be inconvenient. I still hope to get the regular installed version to work.

The fact that the portable version works and a newly installed version does not tells me something, but I am not sure what.

The installed version of Opera fails to open many (but not all) websites.
    For example:
    I can open Google and all of its services, but a Google search often produces links that do not work. Typing those same links directly into the address box also does not work.
    Continuing the example, I can do a Google search for “Peter Pan”. The resulting link to Wikipedia works. The resulting link to IMDB does not. Typing www.imdb.com directly into the address box also does not work.

A second example:
    I can open the site https://www.google.com/advanced_image_search.
    If I do a search for “George Bush”, the screen is filled with large icons each a picture of George Bush. If I click on the first icon and then click “view image”, the image is displayed in a new tab.
    That is good BUT ...
    If I click on the image size, multiple icons of the same picture (each indicating a different size image) appear. I may then select one. So far, so good. However, when I then click on the “view image” button, a new tab is opened but no image is displayed. (This happens for all images, not just a few that may have access restrictions.)

www.windowssecrets.com will not open (I am sending this from another computer).
    www.amazon.com will not open
    www.red.com will not open
    www.yahoo.com will open. Searching for “peter pan” on Yahoo produces links that behave just as the links produced by a Google search did.

All applications not requiring Internet access work well.
    File transfers across the local area network work well.

I will be grateful for any further suggestions.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    First you need to fix the file corruption.
    From a Command Prompt: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
    If that is successful run SFC again to confirm.

Next you need to un-install Opera and clear out the configuration. http://ccm.net/faq/10081-reset-opera...fault-settings

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have I missed where AuBuchon has said which Windows version is being used - that dism cmd is only good for Win 8/8.1 and 10.

Run another sfc /scannow and if it still reports it is unable to repair all files, then download/run SFCFix.exe from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html

This will produce its own report and may even fix what sfc /scannow was unable to.

If that reports it is unable to repair anything then copy & paste its report and that may help to nail down the problem - also let us know which Windows version you are using.

Have you checked to see if you get the same problems in Safe Mode with Networking ?

From a Google search, this is how you reset Opera -

Close all running instances of Opera.

Go to the installation folder of Opera:C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Ope ra\, provided that you have installed Opera using the default settings.

Delete the Operapref.ini file

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Again, thanks to Paul T and Sudo15.

A few minutes ago, while typing this reply, my computer gave me the blue screen with a message saying that it had found and error and would reboot. It didn't seem to change anything.

I have limited experience with WindowsSecrets Lounge. I am not sure whether I can include files. I am going to try. It may be necessary to copy and paste the contents of the file rather than the file.

I run Windows 10 on a fairly recent 64-bit computer.
    The installed Opera is version 39.0.

This version of Opera does not use C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Opera\Opera\
    Rather, it uses C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Opera Software\Opera Stable\
    That directory contains no file named “Operapref.*” and no file named “*.ini”.
    So, I have not succeeded in resetting Opera.

The installed Opera version 39.0 runs properly under safe mode.

DISM is available on my computer, but it recognizes neither “Cleanup-Image” nor “RestoreHealth” as a supported option. I ran “DISM Cleanup-Image /?” and “DISM RestoreHealth /?” to confirm this.

I ran SFCFix.exe. I will attempt to include the log.
    If I did it right, you should also get a screen print taken while SFCFix was running and a screen print of a window that pops up occasionally (but only recently) from my firewall/antivirus software.

This as many of the earmarks of competing resource locks in that the computer never DOES anything bad; it just fails to do anything when trying to open a website.

I really appreciate the time that you have taken to help me. I am not familiar with the internals of Opera and Windows, so I am over my depth.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Log File -- I hope

It appears that my previous post did not successfully attach the log file. I will try again.

I notice, under the "Manage Attachments" button a list of valid file extensions that does not include "log". I will change the file extension to "txt". I got an error message saying that the file size exceed the limit for "this filetype".

*.pdf files have a larger limit, so I converted the log to a *.pdf file. I think that this will work.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Have you tried any other browser to see if the problem recurs with them (I can't see any mention of other browsers)? This might show whether the problem is with Opera, or is a problem with your system. Try Edge first as that is installed by default, but you can try others - Firefox, Chrome or PaleMoon for example. It's not a case seeing if they're better, just if they work.
    If I've missed the fact that you've tried other browsers, then just ignore this post.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That dism PDF is unreadable.

Run another sfc /scannow and if it still reports it is unable to fix some files then run SFCFix.exe again from http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/sfcfix.html

This will produce its own report in Notepad which you can copy & paste directly into the reply box by right clicking in the Notepad file then click on Select all - right click and select Copy.

You can then right click in the reply box and select Paste.

Did SFCFix.exe invoke Dism last time in an attempt to fix the corruption ?

To fix the corruption you could also perform a repair install.

To see which version of Win 10 you are using go Start - type winver and press enter.

If it displays as 10586 .545 then you don't have thee Anniversary Update (AU).

If it displays as 14393 then you have.

You can create a bootable Win 10 disk by following the steps in this tutorial but the ISO will be for the AU.

http://wccftech.com/create-bootable-windows-10-dvd/

Using this ISO will upgrade you to the AU but should resolve any file corruption.

I don't have my Win 10 machine at the moment to walk you through the next steps, but it's advisable to disable your antivirus program prior to running the setup.exe.

Perhaps someone else can walk you through those if you still get file corruption reported.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Have you tried any other browser to see if the problem recurs with them (I can't see any mention of other browsers)? This might show whether the problem is with Opera, or is a problem with your system. Try Edge first as that is installed by default, but you can try others - Firefox, Chrome or PaleMoon for example. It's not a case seeing if they're better, just if they work.
    If I've missed the fact that you've tried other browsers, then just ignore this post.
    Firefox, Chrome, and Edge all work. Opera portable works, and the installed version of Opera works in safe mode.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Winver.exe shows that I run Windows version 10.0 (Build 10240).

The dism PDF file is readable here. It must have been corrupted in the transmission.

I ran sfc /scannow and SfcFix again.

A screen print of the sfc run is attached. It seems to indicate that errors were found but that files needed to repair could not be found.

On the other hand, SfcFix found no errors. The contents of the notepad file created by SfcFix is inserted here.
    SFCFix version 3.0.0.0 by niemiro.
    Start time: 2016-09-04 16:07:34.495
    Microsoft Windows 10 Build 10240 (Updates Deferred) - amd64
    Not using a script file.

AutoAnalysis::
    SUMMARY: No corruptions were detected.
    AutoAnalysis:: directive completed successfully.

Successfully processed all directives.
    SFCFix version 3.0.0.0 by niemiro has completed.
    Currently storing 0 datablocks.
    Finish time: 2016-09-04 18:58:29.353

Opera still behaves as before.

If I obtain an ISO image, as suggested by Sudo15, and use it to essentially reinstall Windows, will this require that I reinstall my firewall, antivirus, word processor, spreadsheet, web browser, etc.?

Windows 10 was installed by the manufacturer on the computer with the problem. It was manufactured by CyperPowerPC. For simplicity, I will call it “Cyber”
    I have a second computer running Windows 10. I will call it “Gateway”. The two are connected on a local network through a common router. Gateway is my older computer. It formerly ran Windows 7. I reformatted the disk and installed Windows 10 from scratch. Its windows verrsion is 1511 (build 1086.545)

Supposedly, there is a way to use DSIM to use files from Gateway to repair Cyber. Instructions that I have been able to find on this are incomplete. Further, they seem to apply to Windows 8.
    Also, I have the “home” edition of Windows. I have observed that much of the description (in various sources) of Windows features assumes that I have a fancier edition of Windows. I see a lot of risk in this approach. Does anyone have a comment on this?

Also, I thought that Windows 10 was automatically updated (even if I wished otherwise). How is it that neither of my computers seems to be up to date?
    Attached Images Attached Images

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    See this post for DISM and source information.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...highlight=dism

Note: you need to add the "/online" switch to get DSIM to work manually.
    Code:
    C:\Windows\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /?

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Image Version: 6.3.9600.17031

/Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions

WARNING! You should use the /RevertPendingActions option only in a
      system-recovery scenario to perform recovery operations on a Windows image
      that did not boot.

Example:
          DISM.exe /Image:C:\test\offline /Cleanup-Image /RevertPendingActions

/Cleanup-Image /spsuperseded [/hidesp]
      Use /SPSuperseded to remove any backup files created during the installation
      of a service pack. Use /HideSP to prevent the service pack from being listed
      in the Installed Updates for the operating system.

WARNING! The service pack cannot be uninstalled after the /SPSuperseded
      operation is completed.

Example:
          DISM.exe /Image:C:\test\offline /Cleanup-Image /spsuperseded /hidesp

/Cleanup-Image {/CheckHealth | /ScanHealth | /RestoreHealth}
      Use /CheckHealth to check whether the image has been flagged as corrupted
      by a failed process and whether the corruption can be repaired.
      Use /ScanHealth to scan the image for component store corruption.
      Use /RestoreHealth to scan the image for component store corruption, and
      then perform repair operations automatically.
      Use /Source with /RestoreHealth to specify the location of known good
      versions of files that can be used for the repair. For more information on
      specifying a source location, see
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.
      Use /LimitAccess to prevent DISM from contacting WU/WSUS.

Example:
          DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM.exe /Image:c:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
          /Source:c:\test\mount
    cheers, Paul

p.s. you can copy the text from a Command Prompt by dragging in the window and then right click.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There is a different Dism command you would use when you get that source cannot be found and I don't think the ones apply that you have posted in this case, Paul.

@AuBuchon - Perform another sfc /scannow and follow that with this command so that we can see what it is unable to repair - it's best to run another sfc before this cmd as the CBS log is volatile.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt

This will put an icon onto the desktop which you can then .zip and attach that.

As for the repair install, it will leave everything else intact.

The PDF file was just too small to read.

To produce the output from a command window, you can right click in the text area then click on Select all - press enter then right click in the reply box and select Paste.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-09-05 at 05:21.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast