Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Memory Leak with System Crashing

Win10pro64 ver.1511 was an update/install via MCTool and Iso on top of a good-working Win7pro64 OS. Since 10 install, when doing A LOT of surfing/research, with IE11, and operating under "User Account Control"; I have been getting these "Low Memory" caution warnings that vary a little in content. Basically, telling me that I'm running out of memory and to either voluntarily save-work/close-out some programs OR that Windows will begin doing IT for me. If I ignore, shortly the system crashes. When looking at Task Manager[TM] and Resource Monitor[RM] on the "Memory" sections, I see only 65-74% total memory useage [I have 8GBs installed and the Page File is set on Automatic control]. TM shows 5.2GB in use and 2.7GB available. "Committed" shows something like 31.7GB/31.8GB [high??]. When looking at Processes, "high system and compressed" are highlight/flagged [typically, 2.2GB-2.6GB]. RM shows about same percentages with "multiple hard faults" in System, SvcHost, and possibly others. The "Page Pool" around 600MB and "non-Paged Pool" about 700MB or so. ALL these numbers are significantly smaller after a "Fresh" boot. Anyone know of a solution?
    See attachment....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    It looks like Virtual Memory is being overused, you appear to have a limit of ~24GB VM +8GB RAM, "Committed: 31.6/31.8", so you need to find out what is writing so much back to the page file on the HDD/SSD.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    "multiple hard faults" means RAM is full and Windows need to swap to the page file.
    I suggest re-booting into safe mode first to see if that makes a difference.
    Then run in normal mode with no programs running and load one at a time to see what uses memory.
    A full virus scan is also worth doing.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Will try Safe Mode if what I'm doing now doesn't work. I have gone from automatic management control to setting fixed Minimum and Maximum limits. 9000 to 41000 MB
    It seems to me that the PAGED memory is cumulative for some reason, and the Older/less-used memory is not being released... OR...I have some process that is leaking and filling it to max?

Thanks
    Yes, it's often a Process that has a memory leak.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Setting a page file max size won't stop Windows paging. You need to find out what's using the memory.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree.....I have done some research and installed some tools that I thought would reveal the culprit. Their results were not obvious to me, so I must plead ignorance in using them....maybe not right tool? OR I need more teaching/leading? Onward Ho!...........

Thanks
    TaskMan's Processes tab should give you an idea of which Process/servicehost is behind it, there's also Resource Monitor for digging a little deeper and you could add further screenshots/data here for us to check through.

Which tools did you install?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In Task Manager/Processes click on Memory and that will sort from the highest user.

If it's a service host then right click on it and select Go to services and whichever it lands on at the bottom is the culprit.

For Win 10 select Go to details then right click on the service host and then select Go to services.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-08-28 at 17:40.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    TaskMan's Processes tab should give you an idea of which Process/servicehost is behind it, there's also Resource Monitor for digging a little deeper and you could add further screenshots/data here for us to check through.

Which tools did you install?
    I have these tools to work with.....Task Manager and Resource Monitor with Windows 10, plus these..Process Monitor, Process Explorer, Ram Map, Whats Running, Autoruns, Windows Memory Diagnostic, Debugging Tools for Windows, and Windows SDK v. 7. The last 2 are probably "over-my-head"?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is my screenshot.....doesn't appear to be a service??
    TaskMngr screenshot.png

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Fire up Resource Monitor and click on the Hard Fault column. Keep an eye on it and let us know what is the highest user.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Saw a few hard faults shortly after booting ....Googled them.. and looks like they were THINGS checking for updates..here they are: pmmupdate.exe, psanhost.exe, hxtsr.exe, and werfault.exe. I was gone most of day but left computer on...and left nothing really open and working. The MOST "memory commit" was to [system and compressed memory] 0.550GB accumulated/committed, and I was gone? After doing quite abit of research on problem on the the Internet, it looks as if IT's been around since Win8 and is still unresolved in Win10. Looks to be a kernel problem caused by how Windows is NOW managing the data in memory. As I understand it, memory management now has 3-5 parts/things to take care of. Evidently, Microsoft hasn't got the correct algorithm yet.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Did you still have the memory leak when you were away from the computer?
    Have you tried running in Safe mode?

It is unlikely to be a Windows issue as millions of people run without a problem. You either have badly behaved software or corruption.
    Try checking the file system. Open a Command Prompt (Admin) and type sfc /scannow

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul..... could not get into safe mode with account that I'm using; may need just a normal account? Will run File checker then come back to safe mode business. Thanks! for suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast