Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

WORD documents sometimes open READ-ONLY

I have an intermittent fault. Opening WORD documents sometimes opens documents as READ ONLY. I can see no pattern when this happens.

I have spoken to MS Office support. They suggest the fault is NOT Office - but Windows. Properties of documents are not marked READ ONLY. However, folders do have the READ ONLY attribute set. ALL folders on my PC. The READ ONLY folder attribute is sticky. That is i cannot clear the setting.
    I have checked on a Windows 7 PC. I find that this is not standard Windows behaviour.

The problem started on 26Aug16. On 25Aug16 i had done Windows Update on KB3179574 and KB3177723. i'm tempted to think that one of these is the culprit. i have not yet removed these updates.

OFFICE 365
    Windows 8.1 64 bit

Any thoughts anyone.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keelta View Post
    I have an intermittent fault. Opening WORD documents sometimes opens documents as READ ONLY. I can see no pattern when this happens.

I have spoken to MS Office support. They suggest the fault is NOT Office - but Windows. Properties of documents are not marked READ ONLY. However, folders do have the READ ONLY attribute set. ALL folders on my PC. The READ ONLY folder attribute is sticky. That is i cannot clear the setting.
    I have checked on a Windows 7 PC. I find that this is not standard Windows behaviour.

The problem started on 26Aug16. On 25Aug16 i had done Windows Update on KB3179574 and KB3177723. i'm tempted to think that one of these is the culprit. i have not yet removed these updates.

OFFICE 365
    Windows 8.1 64 bit

Any thoughts anyone.
    I see that usually with documents I've stored on a NAS drive or downloaded from the Internet, seems to be a security issue with files coming from different computers/servers. And Yes, the NAS drives attached to my Router have their own Operating System, makes them a different computer in this context.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    The read only attribute on a folder does not mean the folder contents are read only. See the "Cause" section in You cannot view or change the Read-only or the System attributes of folders in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, in Windows Vista or in Windows 7.
    Joe

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

keelta (2016-08-29)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    To remove the "internet" attribute from a downloaded / other system file, right click on the file and select Properties, Unblock.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a really useful reference as it explains that the READ ONLY attribute of a folder does not describe the attributes of files within the folder but provides a mechanism to change the attributes of all files in the folder (& optionally in sub folders).
    Now, so far i have not found any problem files with the READ ONLY attribute set. However, i have used this mechanism to ensure that all READ ONLY attributes are cleared from all files on the whole logical volume. [this volume is my data file container - it does not have any system files - except stuff like thumbnails].
    Since then the problem seems to have gone away - but who can tell for an intermittent fault. only time will tell.
    i wonder what might have brought on the problem so suddenly - i still suspect one of the 2 Windows Updates i specified above. However, i have not removed them - let sleeping dogs lie.

As an aside can you tell me what is the normal setting of the READ ONLY attribute for folders in Win 8.1. This might indicate if something has affected all folders.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul T. i don't think your observation is directly relevant to my current problem (probably now solved - see above). However, it is useful to be reminded of this attribute. i've used it in the distant past. its good to be reminded of it. So thanks. is it possible to UNBLOCK numerous files in a folder in one go?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Open a PowerShell session.
    Type: Unblock-File -path "path to file including name"

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Open a PowerShell session.
    Type: Unblock-File -path "path to file including name"

cheers, Paul
    Thanks. I would not have thought of this - knowing nothing of POWERSHELL. I've downloaded and discovered it via Google. A whole new world to be explored. Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You don't need to download PowerShell, it's built-in to Windows. What did you download?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul T
    I located a file (from a number of options) Win8.1AndW2K12R2-KB3134758-x64
    i could not find it in Windows. Now i see that it exists within Administrative Tools. It looks the same. i found a list of cmdlets https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../ff714569.aspx. I did not see 'Unblock-File' in the list.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That's because the command was introduced in PS3.
    To see what version of PS you have, run this command: $psversiontable

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    PaulT

PS version
    PS C:\Users\crb> $psversiontable

Name Value
    ---- -----
    PSVersion 5.0.10586.117
    PSCompatibleVersions {1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 4.0...}
    BuildVersion 10.0.10586.117
    CLRVersion 4.0.30319.34209
    WSManStackVersion 3.0
    PSRemotingProtocolVersion 2.3
    SerializationVersion 1.1.0.1
    Same details for the version in Admin Tools and downloaded from TechNet. i wonder if i have the software installed twice!

I still have problems with WORD files loading READ ONLY. the problem seems to go away if i load a number of Word files in quick succession. is there anything in PS that might help in diagnosis/cure. I have already run PROPERTIES>GENERAL>READ-ONLY (clear check)>APPLY>all files in folder and sub-folder.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You've updated to PS5 - my base load of W8.1 has PS4.

You need to diagnose one file at a time.
    Find one that is always problematic and make a copy of it with File Explorer, then open the copy. What do you get?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul,
    Well suddenly the problem/solution presented itself. Something else i was doing raised a memory error - stating that a particular program should be closed. Investigation showed that i had a program running of which i was unaware. And it was filling all of my 4Gb memory. It must have been inadequate memory that exposed a fault within WORD that resulted in the intermittent READ ONLY failures.
    The program was McAfee Stinger. This is a standalone virus scanner which I run every month or so. Unfortunately, on reading the EULA more carefully, i see a recent addition such that it also installs a free real time scanner which runs on boot – no pop up messages explaining this – all hidden in the background. Called McAfee RealProtect – which was the memory hog.
    Needless to say all things McAfee have now been obliterated from my PC.
    Since I removed this I have had no problems with WORD. Funny how programs can interact and how a solution presents itself from a casual observation.
    Thanks for all of your help – it got me searching for the solution.
    Chris

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I hope you still have a real time Anti Virus program installed?

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast