New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Win 7 Enterprise to Win 10 upgrade

I have several Windows 7 Enterprise PCs that are to be upgraded to Windows 10 Enterprise or Pro. I have not found any page that says that I can do an in-place upgrade to keep the installed apps and settings. Does anyone know if I can do an in-place upgrade? If so, can I upgrade to either Win 10 Enterprise or Pro or am I locked to Enterprise? My new Win 10 licenses can be used for either Ent or Pro.

Thanks
    Brian

Thanks
    I have used the "Media Creation Tool" (MCT) to upgrade two of my own Win7 SP1 systems to Win10 (one Pro, the other Home), and have since used the MCT to upgrade those systems (two-or-three times) to the latest Win10 builds.

Have also upgraded several customers' Win7 SP1 and Win8.1 using media created using the MCT.

But I haven't been asked to upgrade any Enterprise systems.

According to the MCT download page "Download Windows 10" at: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/soft...load/windows10 "Windows 10 Enterprise isn’t available in the media creation tool. For more info, go to the Volume Licensing Service Centre" https://www.microsoft.com/licensing/...r/default.aspx

After you sign in to the Volume Licensing Service Centre you should be able to download an ISO file which you could burn to DVD or an 8GB USB thumbdrive to create installation media.

Note that you could then use the same DVD or USB installation drive to upgrade each of your Win7 systems, but at some point setup will ask for a Product Key.

Also, don't attempt to upgrade by booting to the DVD or USB; with the Windows to be upgraded running insert the DVD or USB, go to the disk, then run "setup.exe".

Please let us know how you get on.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's apparently possible:

Can I upgrade computers from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 without deploying a new image?
    Computers running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 can be upgraded directly to Windows 10 through the in-place upgrade process without a need to reimage the device.

Windows 10 Enterprise: FAQ for IT professionals

Not sure about Enterprise to Pro; but I don't think Pro has a single advantage, whereas Enterprise has 10 additional features:

Windows 10 editions Comparison chart
    Last edited by BruceR; 2016-08-27 at 21:04.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I don't believe you can upgrade Enterprise to Pro. In general, Microsoft does not allow an upgrade to a lesser SKU. You can't upgrade from Pro to Home. Any upgrade to a lesser SKU would require a clean install.

A Win7 Enterprise in-place upgrade to Win10 Enterprise should preserve all your data, programs, and settings. NOTE: You should make a complete image backup of each system before starting any upgrade.
    Joe